*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    HELLO!! This is a thread that a group of us use as support.

There used to be a pretty strong circle of support amongst a group of us who were all looking to lose anywhere from 50 pounds to 150 pounds! Some of us? Maybe even looking to release even more weight than that!

We've revived this group (thread) for members that were supportive in both the good times and the bad, the easy parts and the challenges...

This is an open thread for anyone who wishes to be a part of it... so just jump on in! Please introduce yourselves and don't be intimidated if it seems that there are some of us who know each other - because once you introduce yourself? You'll soon feel that you are in the loop and know everyone as well!

Welcome... let the support and friendships begin! :)

RULES:
    1. This is a thread, there is no joining, just jump on and join in the conversation.
    2. Introduce yourself
    3. Come back often, post the good, the bad and the ugly.
    4. If you don't post it's not going to be a supportive group. If you use the thread for support then you'll probably become friends with those you connect with, but don't just send out friend requests until you've got to know us all, interacted with us etc.

I REPEAT
    ***This is not a group, it's a thread that requires you to come back and post about your highs/lows/successes/failures and boringness of life....come back, post often, become friends.
    This isn't JUST a dumping/downloading zone, while we want people to do that, this is a place to comment and "talk" with others... so feedback is highly encouraged***
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Thanks Penny for flipping the thread!

I just want to reiterate what Penny said:

If you are going to introduce yourself and think that this is the place for you then come back! No point introducing and then not trying us out :) We are very supportive of the people who stay with us and are a friendly bunch. The original group was together for over a year and really close and ran monthly challenges. Personally, I know I would love to get back to that!

:flowerforyou: :happy: :tongue:
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    YAY... what could be better than having Penny, then Steph and now me... start this thread?!?

THIS GROUP MAKES THE DIFFERENCE FOR ME!! If I'm not here, checking in, I'm not... NOT... doing well. And, since I haven't been checking in so well - you can imagine how my results are. Ugh! So, I am going to be better... I am. I know - some of you are thinking, didn't you say that a week or two ago? And, yes, I did... but I mean it!

I have an early morning tomorrow - so this is a quick one. BUT I'll be back soon... Tomorrow? I'm getting new hair! :) So, I might have some time to write while sitting in the chair. he, he, he
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks penny for continuing the thread. I didn't want to end the thread and start a new one 'coz I don't how to do it.

I woke up with the side of my back aching. I'm not sure if its the Shred or how I slept last night. I failed to wake up early today so I missed my exercise time. Hopefully, I could go home early and hit the gym afterwards.

Have a great day ladies...
  • penny_eclipse
    Options
    Last night I coughed a lot in my sleep, and woke up feeling like an elephant had sat on and crushed my chest, but I don't have a cough...weird. I'm sure it'll be completely fine, until I cycle in the freezing cold where the cold will tickle all the hair inside my lungs and everyone on the train will give me more space as I'll sound like I'm dying of TB or the plague...and then I'll be fine once I get to work!
    Exercise is A-OK right now, still getting my walk and cycle on, more than that is currently too ambitious, so just trying to get any extra walking in when I can. Eating is hard. I'm bored, of being "good", I'm bored of people offering me food and having to say "no thanks I just ate x, or, no thanks I have y in my bag". It's not even that I want anything particular, I'm just in an unmotivated mood. So this week is about limiting the badness (I do generally have room for it in my day, but my history proves to me that often I'm better off having none than some), and WATER, WATER, WATER. Coz I've slipped back to my minimum 8 and I feel all dry.

Becky, well done on the workout, I know you smashed it, and I bet it feels gooooood. Also I want evidence of the new hair please, thanks.

Steph, I had something to say to you from the end of the last thread, but I forgot..l will go back, reread and add the comment later!
  • penny_eclipse
    Options
    Debbie, I find running outside a lot more enjoyable (but it's much more tiring), outside and the treadmill are completely different animals, if you're not feeling it you can't just go with the flow outside...but then it's so much more rewarding once you get going! Hows the water going?

Becky, are you still in spree or are you over that bump? I'm feeling quite self-destructive too. Boys are rubbish sometimes...

Steph, Thank you for the worrying/box advice, it's amazing and totally right, and although I do *know* this, I've never heard it said quite like that, and it's amazing. So I'm trying to be as duck-like as possible, and not listen to the constantly changing ins-and-outs of the situation. It's also a bit wrong but I'm kinda hoping he has to go down to Plymouth this weekend so I get a weekend *off* and someone else (his family) can deal with him for a little bit!
    Hows the new attitude thing going? Well done on resisting the plantain and the dancing around with kenzie, that's a huge tick in the on-track box. Long may it continue!

Jehan, you're doing really well, you've got a little one, I'd be totally using that as an excuse to not even try. I could never get up at that time to do a workout, so I think you're amazing, and it's completely natural to not be able to do that every day! Don't worry about the weight, it's just a number and it will cooperate eventually, you just need to keep at it and eventually it'll follow. I'm rooting for you on the new job opportunities!
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    jumping in. I have approximately 50lbs to lose though I generally think 40 with a revisit when I get there..am down 6.4.lbs in the past 5 weeks. Just started walking as the weather is improved.

My daughter is getting married which isn't my motivation, but rather my focal point for now. That is on July 13. I have time to get as close to my ultimate goal as possible.

I am currently using a quantum scale which doesn't tell me weight but tells me how much I am up or down and it accumulates over the course so I love watching those numbers go down.

My husband said he can notice already my 6.4lbs gone.

I'm a fiction writer and I do a bit of freelance for a newspaper..so can be sedentary if I'm not careful.

I do love walking and it gets me writing.

I'm looking for an active support group.

Hope this is it!
  • stephaniezoundi
    Options
    Breezedaze: this could definitely be the place for you as long as you keep coming back. Join the conversations, share about you, the highs and lows and the boring stuff and offer support as well. It sounds like you have made a great start on your journey.

Penny: hope your breathing sorts itself out. Its understandable that you hope he heads to Portsmouth for the weekend. Sometimes we just need a break. I completely understand about the eating bit. Sometimes I find it sooooo monotonous!! My solution to this is to purchase a cookbook or browse the net for new recipes (including snacks). It allows me to add more stuff to my menu. Here's one to try:

Maple Cinnamon Yogurt
    Yeo Valley - Fat Free Natural Yoghurt, 170 g
    Syrups - Maple, 1 tbsp
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.12 tsp
    Total: 154cals

Jehan: hope the back sorts itself out!

Well as for me, yesterday was a success. I know for me though that exercise is the key. I always find it easier to be good with the eating if I am getting a good burn. I never used it as an excuse to eat more, it gave me a reason to not undo all the hard work. And I miss exercise, I was quite the gym bunny before I got preggers. I was reading through some threads last night when I came across one from a mom who was struggling to FIND TIME to exercise and I thought, gee this is me!! There were some encouraging responses, some not nice ones (implying that SAHMs just sit on the couch watching soaps and eating bon bons) and one that really stuck with me. They said: if you wait to FIND time, it will never happen, you need to MAKE time. This stuck with me and has been going through me head since. I have made lots of excuses for not exercising lately. I'm tired, Kenzie isn't napping long enough for me to work out, I need to do my cross-stitch (for my brothers baby who is due any time now). Kenzie is not an excuse to not exercise, she is a reason TO exercise. So this morning when she went down for a nap, I turned on Just Dance 4 and did the cardio combat just sweat dance for 45 minutes. When she woke up part way through, I put her in her jolly jumper and she jumped along to the music and seemed happy to be watching Mommy look like a fool. Will get a bit more exercise later when we walk to the Children's centre to spend the afternoon at stay and play. Hope you all have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • hmayo86
    hmayo86 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I feel lost! I was sick last week so only logged on through my phone and I'm so behind on everyone's posts!

Update on me: kept having gallbladder attacks last week and was too stubborn to go to the ER, so now I have to wait until April to have the stupid thing removed. I'm scared to workout because I had an attack the last time I did. I'm eating way too many carbs (baked potatoes and crackers) because that's all my gallbladder will allow. I've stopped tracking my calories because it's just so depressing to go over because of all the stupid carbs. On a better note- I lost 5 lbs last week! I'm forcing myself not to log it though since it was due to me not being able to eat. lol

I hope you guys are having better luck than me at the moment! I'll be down from now until after my surgery.. I'll get back with it in mid-April, I promise! :flowerforyou: and I've seen a few of you post about finding time to exercise because of kids....props to you! I can't imagine how busy you all are, but you still make time to work hard for a healthier you! Keep at it!
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Hey all .... took me a while to figure out that the thread started over. Kinda new to this sort of thing. I was reading up on last two pages and replied to a couple - but they must have gone into cyber space!

I got back a few days ago from my trip with my daughter and have been working pretty late hours to catch up. First chance I've had to sit - but just for a few because I gotta go in soon...we are short handed now, another girl had surgery and will be out for another 2-3 weeks !

Well, I totally ate my way through Epcot! Like I had mentioned before, my daughter and I are a bad influence on each other! We did work out, but I fear it only gave us another excuse to have an eclair in "France"! Then sausage in "Germany" and sushi in "Japan". I could go on but it's only making me hungry! We did alot of walking and massive amounts of eating but all in all I only gained back 3 lbs.

Lombrica - your foot problem sounds awful. Hope things get better soon. I had plantar faciitis in both feet a couple of years ago that lasted nearly 8 months and just getting out of bed to stand up was really painful. I'm just starting some running (if my back holds up) and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be an avid runner with foot problems. Good luck and try everything you can to find some relief, it'll be worth it.
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Me again... just finished reading all your posts on the new thread...

Penny - sounds like you may have a "seasonal asthma" thing. Sometimes the change in season, especially if the temp rises and falls dramatically like it is here can bring on all kinds a weird things. My one horse has a bad case of hives which he gets every spring and it lasts for weeks! Hope all clears up and doesn't turn into something worse.

Jehan - hope your back is feeling better. Have you been doing something different in your work outs? Maybe using some muscles differently?

Steph - I so agree, you have to MAKE time. I've been trying to be sure I get in at least 30 minutes exercise before I go to work because I never now when I will finally get home and what motivation I will still have.

hmayo86 - my co-worker just had gall bladder surgery which complicated with panceatitis (?) - she was pretty sick and will be out for a few weeks. Take it easy and take good care of yourself.

As for me - well I gotta go at it doubletime (last chance workout style) to get back on track. Have a great day everyone!
  • stephaniezoundi
    Options
    Gettinyoung: sounds like you had a good time and 3lbs isn't that bad. I have this regular thought about weight gained on holidays or over special events: skinny people don't worry about these times. They just go on living. Yes, perhaps we need to be more conscious the rest of the time, but we are still human. You were on holidays, you had a good time, now you are back at it. I think if we constantly were only ever super good we would drive ourselves crazy!! Oh, and I'm glad you found us again :)

hmayo86: sometimes we gotta do what our body will let us and if that means eating carbs so be it. I hope you get feeling better though. As far as exercise goes...what about just walking? It may not be the best burn (unless you go for a long time) but its still movement and better than nothing.

As for me, today is a bit of a struggle. Every time I fall off the wagon and get back on, I do well for a couple of days and then on Day 3 BOOM! FAILURE! I get it into my head that I've been good, I deserve a treat and then I treat and treat and treat. Not today. I had to go to the supermarket and was dreading it because its where all the temptation is. I bought myself a fruit salad to enjoy later. I also found myself making excuses to not do my workout and figured I would just do it later but knew I wouldn't. So as soon as Kenzie fell asleep I got my sweat on with just dance. So far its been a good day. This evening will be the real big challenge. My hubby has been working lots of evenings (he's a self-employed tradesmen so he often has to work evenings when people are home) and after taking care of Kenzie all day I feel exhausted and just want to eat. If you're on my friends list, check on me this evening!! (And if you're not, you can add me). Its Thirsty Thursday so drink up that H2O!!
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am back! But only for a moment..off for a walk before the kids get home from school! Checking in later :)
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello! I am new to MFP and have over 100 pounds to lose. I have finally figured out that I cannot do it on my own. I am STOKED to have already found some awesome new friends (more are always welcome) and these great threads with such encouraging people. I will do my best to provide support and encouragement as well!

@Steph - have you thought about changing what a treat is? Instead of a treat being food-based, try rewarding yourself with something else. I have a friend who lost over 80 pounds and her treats were a new piece of workout gear. (Ie. bra, pants, workout dvd, ...) Of course, you may not want to do that every 3 pounds or your wallet will also get a workout. But maybe put money aside? Just a thought.

I hope everyone is well! All the best to @hmayo on your upcoming surgery!
  • PotScrubber
    PotScrubber Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I'd like to join in. I've been looking for some serious support for a while now. My friend feed is great but I need a little more interaction. I'm also not a Dump and Runner. :wink:

I went back to the old thread and read the last page as well as the new posts in this thread but should have taken notes! Now I can't remember who said/did what, lol! Somebody is having gall bladder problems, somebody is having foot problems, somebody's boyfriend is looking for a job and may either move closer or further away and somebody may be sick or have allergies. I'm sure there's more so next time I'll take some notes until I get myself better acquainted with everyone.

As for me, been working hard at this healthy thing since early January. It wasn't a resolution, just a moment where I told myself I was fed up and not gonna take it anymore. I'm down 15 pounds, a bunch of inches and walking with Leslie Sansone as often as I can. As soon as the pool warms I'll be swimming again which is my preferred form of exercise. I've been on plan for 23 straight days now and am testing myself to see if I can make it all the way through March. My ticker is set to put me at 140 pounds but that's probably not going to be my stopping point. Just a place where I can evaluate how much further I need to go.

Gonna scoot for now. The husband left his phone home today but it's getting close to his normal time so I'm gonna start on dinner. I'll check back later this evening...with my notepad. :tongue:
  • stephaniezoundi
    Options

@Steph - have you thought about changing what a treat is? Instead of a treat being food-based, try rewarding yourself with something else. I have a friend who lost over 80 pounds and her treats were a new piece of workout gear. (Ie. bra, pants, workout dvd, ...) Of course, you may not want to do that every 3 pounds or your wallet will also get a workout. But maybe put money aside? Just a thought.
    !

Glad you found your way here! I do have a reward system in place but thanks! My problem is I want a non-healthy something to eat. Sigh. So many years of bad eating is so hard to break.

So 278 = (actually only 8lbs till this one) £20 iTunes card (to get some running music!)

268 = scrapbooking kit (for baby's first years)

258 = mani/pedi

248 = whole outfit, head to toe
  • xxjolandexx
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Jolande, I'd love to join this supportive group/thread. I've recently been in hospital because of my asthma and as a result I have put on a ton of weight because of the steroids I was taking to keep my asthma under control.
    I need to lose 60lbs. Believe me no one needs to tell me that that is a huge amount to lose but it's doable and I need to do it. For my health, my confidence and my self esteem.
    I guess I just want to be around people that are going through what I am. I need support and motivation big time. I'm serious about shifting this weight.

I'm also addicted to my phone ha! So if it's support you all need I'm constantly on my phone so I can always jump online to post and reply.

Can't wait to hear back,
    Speak soon :-D
    X
  • brookeboule
    brookeboule Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Jolande, I'd love to join this supportive group/thread. I've recently been in hospital because of my asthma and as a result I have put on a ton of weight because of the steroids I was taking to keep my asthma under control.
    I need to lose 60lbs. Believe me no one needs to tell me that that is a huge amount to lose but it's doable and I need to do it. For my health, my confidence and my self esteem.
    I guess I just want to be around people that are going through what I am. I need support and motivation big time. I'm serious about shifting this weight.

I'm also addicted to my phone ha! So if it's support you all need I'm constantly on my phone so I can always jump online to post and reply.

Can't wait to hear back,
    Speak soon :-D
    X

Hi Jolande,
    I also have pretty bad asthma and have struggled with it my whole life. The steroids are awful, I am sorry you have to go through that. 61 pounds is attainable! Don't let anyone get you down. Just do what you can and forget everything else. I started at 185 and want to be 135, so we are in the same boat. My highest weight was in 200, now I am 171. Feel free to add me for support!
  • 5Jmommy
    5Jmommy Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello all! =)
    my name is Esther and I'm a sahm of 5 beautiful kids my youngest being 5 weeks old. I started using mfp to try and keep track of what I'm eating as well as how much I'm burning off! I am busy with mommy life so I've lost most of my friends so I could use the motivation and support and I'd be able to offer some in return! =)
  • xxjolandexx
    Options
    Hi BrookeBoule,
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad someone else knows what I'm going through when it comes to asthma! I had my speromitary test last week, I have the lungs of a 40 yearl old and I'm 23!
    I'm not going to let it get me down though things will get better, congratulations on your weight loss that's amazing, I'm glad we've similar goals, Looking forward to catching up with you and your progress :-)