*** Supportive Friends -- Looking to Release 50+ Pounds ***

Options

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    @meg - I usually am right, drives my other half mad!! What she hasn't cottoned on to yet (in 30+ years) is if I am not sure, I just shut up, I only insist if I know I am right :laugh: What an irritating B*st*rd I must be, right? It's a male thing maybe......

@Steph - having been brought up in Africa from age 10 I tend to think in pounds or even kilos, but the good old Brits need stones to understand the value, so I go with that. And yes, Romania is fascinating, if I was 40 years younger I would move there, but now I just enjoy the ambience! Unfortunately I won't be able to take advantage of the 2 Euro a litre for decent beer due to my calorie limitations, maybe I should run a bit........! And I will be back on Friday night. I actually get the week after this at home, which will be a real treat and will include a round of dentist, doctor, hypnotherapist, all the things I can't usually do, before Cyprus and Slovakia, then India and Singapore possibly, dates to be decided.

@Dore - welcome to the group, let's see if we can force you into keeping with the program. For a start, you're too pretty to be single.........or maybe you're just too choosey and sensible :laugh: Nonetheless girl, we're here to make sure you lose that weight and keep it off! But don't believe all this excercise stuff - a wise man once said to me "If you feel like excercising, lie down in a darkened room for some time, the feeling will pass"

@meg - sounds like you need to put some control on your hubby! Bout time he realised what a good deal he has. And I'm impressed by the Tardis - I'm a big Dr Who fan myself. Have you had the latest episodes with the new companion - Jenna Louise Coleman, she's fantastic!? I think I'm in love.......again...........

@Pip - welcome, you've come to the right place. Totally agree about changing your relationship with food (thinks - what are the chance of changing my relationship with my current wife? Probably nil, worse luck.! Nah, only joking, it would cost me too much in alimony)

@Gonzamm - your hubby sounds almost as awesome as me. Maybe I should fight him for the title? (But be aware, I am a black belt in origami) Seriously, so glad you have that support, it means one hell of a lot.

I keep meaning to say, if anyone wants to friend me, though i can't imagine why anyone might, I'm downright cussed and damn awkward, please go ahead, you won't be rejected :bigsmile: But you will have to put up with me in a more intimate setting so there are downsides.

Today has been a good Saturday, weight down this morning, previously tight trousers now slipping down (don't ask, a treat for the onlookers, I don't think) but old/new trousers (sorry, pants for the transatlantic crew) found in wardrobe, pleasantly tight for now. Food diary compete and below calorie goal, life is good. I think though I have developed a passion for Lotus carmelised biscuits (cookies) which is maybe not good.
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to do a quick check-in. There's a lot of great stuff on here!

Hello to new people. Hello to people returning after an absence. Congrats on the milestones. Congrats on getting out of your rut(s) and getting back to the gym and healthy eating. Congrats on working out the "whys"; very hard and important step. For those needing motivation, start with small steps and take it one day at a time. As for exercise, Nike had it right - JUST DO IT!!! :)

I wish you all a fantastic weekend! Keep up the great work! You CAN do this! You ARE doing this! Keep safe. Keep healthy. And remember to be kind to yourself!

Cheers!
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It was a beautiful day here in North Carolina. It's going to be even nicer tomorrow. I'm definitely taking my dog to the park. I'm also dragging my boyfriend to the gym. He is the one that REALLY motivated me to lose weight. Now he is slacking off. Any suggestions to motivate him again?
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This sounds like a friendly thread, so I wanted to drop in. I'm currently in a "work out 2 days, slack for 3" cycle that I wanna get out of TODAY!
    It was a beautiful day here in North Carolina. It's going to be even nicer tomorrow. I'm definitely taking my dog to the park. I'm also dragging my boyfriend to the gym. He is the one that REALLY motivated me to lose weight. Now he is slacking off. Any suggestions to motivate him again?
    tnsummer... It's gonna be a wonderful couple days here as well! Loving this spring weather! Maybe stop dragging the BF and let him find his own motivation again. If he sees you going and you aren't FORCING him to go, it FORCES him to make the choice for himself. He can either go with you or be left behind. :wink:
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well I only see ladies but what the hell I'm going to jump in (some of my best friends are ladies so I'm not superstitious!).

My target was to lose between 140 and 150 and I started about 6 weeks ago. I have lost 20 lbs so far as of last weekend, travelling on business this week, so next weigh in Sunday morning, and praying another 2 or 3 lbs has dropped off by then,,,,,,,,

I'm too old to perv (believe that if you will) and have a weird sense of humour but am otherwise presentable, sexy and just downright nice (so my dog tells me as he humps my leg).

Well, at least it's good to know our dog loves us! (Laughed pretty hard at your dog comment!)
  • uhohkerri
    uhohkerri Posts: 43
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend. had a couple of bad days this week but I am up and better got my house clean only to have more people to clean up after. Not exactly sure how fun this week is going to be, we have my husbands boys because it is spring break for them. My kids are back in school and my husband will be at work all week so for the next 7 days I will have to find a way to entertain them by myself. They are not use to the strict rules my husband has for my kids and he doesn't seem to make them fallow the same set of rules so it will be up to me to make them behave the way my girls are expected to. Wondering if he will actually spend time with them or will he be playing WOW the whole time they are here? I love my husband but sometimes I think he is a bigger kid then my actual children. oh well such is life. I am getting read to go to church with my son and girls but not sure if I should take the boys or leave them here to spend some sort of time with their father. I can't even legally fit everyone in our SUV it only seats 7. Told my husband we need to sit down and plan out our meals for the week so that our food will last through the week cause he doesn't get paid till the 15th so today after church we will be going through our food seeing what all we have and making it work as best we can I don't think I have ever been so grateful for picky eaters. The boys don't eat half as much as my girls do but that means I have to cook what they will eat which is a pain in the butt, but at least all the beef will be eaten out of my house this week lol and I will have plenty of healthy chicken and turkey for me.

Welcome to the few newcomers that have joined.

@tnsummer I grew up in Tennessee I miss those beautiful southern days when the sun rises over the mountains and everything just seems to go with the flow.
    @ ron your a great guy don't down yourself.
  • pidnit
    pidnit Posts: 11
    Options
    jumping in . . . I am looking to lose 100 pounds. It didn't climb on overnight, so I know it is not going to crawl off overnight. I have medical issues that make it hard to get out of bed in the morning but, I do because it is so much worse to stay there. I am looking forward to a cruise in September and would like to be a little less rotund by then. Not my motivation but a goal to look towards. Motivation is health and the chance to beat my 4 year old granddaughter in a jumping contest (LOL). I am looking forward to getting to know some/all of you. If you want, you can friend me.
  • laura666666
    laura666666 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

I'm Laura, and looking to lose 50lbs and take it from there. This looks like a fantastic thread where motivation is key. However, if I make miserable excuses for not loosing anything, please feel free to give me a kick up the behind! I'm starting again today, watching what i eat and in the morning start jogging. Have to get up heart breakingly early to fit it in this week, but I cant let that stop me. It would be great to have lost 50lbs by 1st December. I think thats doable, I mean thats an average of 1.5lbs a week. Hopefully I'll lose inches a bit quicker as my skinny wardrobe from days past keep mocking me!! CW is 214lbs, oh and I'm 6' tall.

I love cooking but the last 3 years I've stopped and brought rubbish in stead. Determined to dust of the recipe books and cook. Its hard cooking for one, but going to cook in batches and feeze loads plus eat the same things for a few days.

Keep at it everyone!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @Laura, welcome! If you've got some yummy healthy recipes in those dusty cook books of yours, please share :happy: That is a great idea too about freezing in batches. I actually do that for my family of 4. I will double or triple a recipe and freeze what we don't eat. Makes life much simpler for me on those busy days!

@pidnit, welcome! You picked a good group to join. Love that you want to beat your granddaughter in a jumping contest! I have an almost 4 year old boy who loves to jump too :bigsmile:

@Kerri, I hope this week goes better than last, even with a couple extras in the house.

@Steph_135, welcome! What kind of workouts are you doing? Maybe change it up a little to make it more exciting for yourself. I have a tendency to do that, and it seems to work well for me.

@Ron, I LOVE Dr. Who! I've even watched all the old ones that are available on Netflix. And the new version twice through, and considering a third... Unfortunately, since I'm a cheapskate when it comes to cable tv, I haven't seen the past two seasons of the new version. Can't wait till they're out on Netflix. Also, my kids love the show (boys aged 9 & 3), it's great that its a family friendly show. My 3 year old loves to sit and watch it with me. And he calls the Tardis at "Tardist". I will post pics later (if I can figure out how! lol) of my weekend project (which still is not quite done).
    And about you being right.... makes me wonder what your wife would say to that! :wink:

Well, I am off to church here in a few minutes, then my boys usually end up going home from church with my parents to spend the afternoon. That means I may actually get some time to get out and run today! Yay!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Laura... I know how cooking for one can be! I actually like being able to freeze my leftovers. I do it all the time. I'm bad at following recipes though cause I prefer to just put stuff together that I've always done. I know ONE quinoa recipe and I make it over and over and over again.
    @Steph_135, welcome! What kind of workouts are you doing? Maybe change it up a little to make it more exciting for yourself. I have a tendency to do that, and it seems to work well for me.
    Meg... I used to do the Shred, but it's gotten a bit repetitive. I am currently using my new elliptical machine and I like that, but it's also the same every workout basically. You are right! I should change it up a bit. I would love to add Zumba into the mix. I've been finding videos online (cause I can't go to the classes as often as I want to), and I used to really like doing that. Thanks for the tip! Hope you get to go out for your run!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Meg... I used to do the Shred, but it's gotten a bit repetitive. I am currently using my new elliptical machine and I like that, but it's also the same every workout basically. You are right! I should change it up a bit. I would love to add Zumba into the mix. I've been finding videos online (cause I can't go to the classes as often as I want to), and I used to really like doing that. Thanks for the tip! Hope you get to go out for your run!

Oooh, Zumba! I've been doing that a lot over the past week. I just got Zumba Core for our Xbox Kinect. It's so fun! Of course, I look somewhat like I'm having a seizure instead of dancing, so I just keep in house, lol! And I did get my run in today. Finally got the first day of c25k done, and I kind of didn't want to stop. But I think that's because I know I can run at least a mile and a half without stopping. So the jog/walk setup of c25k is a little weird. I guess I'll get used to it.
    Keep looking for different stuff to do! I think I'm going to look into getting a kettle bell so I can try that. Maybe my monthly goal for May...
  • didifournierblais
    didifournierblais Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

just a quick note to tell you I'm halfway done on my first 50 pounds to lose.... I just began at the end of january and already lost 25 pounds, I find it hard to believe but I'm very happy about it!!!!!!

When I first wrote something here I was afraid of reaching a plateau. I had weeks where I didn't lose anything but those were the weeks where taking measurements showed me I did lose inches instead!

So, it showed me that when you don't lose pounds you lose inches and you shouldn't desesper at all!

So, whatever happen, we're losing something: pounds or inches!

Have a great week all!
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    Hi! My name's Andrea, I'm 21 years old, I've been a member of this website for over a year now, but i'm just now trying to seriously get into getting fit, but i severely lack motivation, so i'm here looking for it! I'm looking to lose about 80 pounds, and I have a terrible addiction to chocolate, which does not make losing weight easy, especially living in a house where people are always buying chocolate. I'm currently unemployed due to back issues, and am trying to find a good weight loss plan on a budget, I'm extremely interested in Zumba, and actually went and got a Zumba book at the library today, with a DVD and everything, in hopes that i'll get somewhere doing this on my own in my living room! I have goals to be at least somewhat happy with how I look by the summer for a vacation with my boyfriend, and the last thing I want to do is hide in my towel while on the beach. It's a big goal, but I know with the right motivation and plan, I'll get there and I feel this is a good place to be to get somewhere sooner rather than later.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    But I think that's because I know I can run at least a mile and a half without stopping. So the jog/walk setup of c25k is a little weird. I guess I'll get used to it.
    Keep looking for different stuff to do! I think I'm going to look into getting a kettle bell so I can try that. Maybe my monthly goal for May...
    Meg... Maybe you should jump a few weeks ahead in the C25K? I also do Belly Dance sometimes, which is really fun. My zumba instructor does a belly dance/zumba mix sometimes. It's challenging and different, if you are looking for something new, you might like that. kettle bells scare me a bit. I'll stick to dumbbells.

didifournierb... Great progress!!

kailexx... Don't even BUY the chocolate! :noway: I'm the same way with EVERYTHING, but especially if I make cookies. The batch will be gone in 2 days! Zumba is GREAT and you can find in on youtube without spending a cent! I only ever workout at home (unless it's a dance/zumba class, which I haven't been to in years).
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great discovery! I'm going to try to jump on in and check back often. It seems as though several friended people become less supportive over time, including myself (when I am down-but that's when I need it the most!) NOT always the hooray, congrats, but also the supposrt when I am not doing well.

I have about 75 pounds to lose. I'd lost 40-ish, but since I had been on jury duty for 9 weeks, I gained back 8 pounds. It has beed SO difficult to get back on track with exercise and food. I log, religiously. Doesn't matter if I eat well or not, I log everything. The past few weeks have been so sad. My newest issue is eating really well during the day, then about an hour after dinner, I eat like crazy! Out of control. I have never had this issue before. I need to snap out of it.

I hope you all are doing well, and if not, I hope you will do well soon!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Ron: I love your attitude and outlook :happy: Well done on those NSV's. I've had to learn to think in stones, pounds and kilos. I am Canadian so raised knowing lbs, then moved to the UK so learned stones and my trainer works in kilos!

_tru_ : like Ron, your outlook and positivity is fantastic! It was your words that really switched me on to TRYING last week. Thank you :flowerforyou:

tnsummer: Is your boyfriend competitive? Could you use that to help motivate him? A rewards system is always nice too.

Steph: Mind over matter!! You can break that cycle. You've told us your stuck, I'm going to be asking how you are doing and whether or not you've broken it.

uhohkerri: It sounds like you will be very busy this week! Family dynamics can be such a point of joy and of stress. I hope your husband is on board with discipline and spending time.

Pidnit: Welcome! Little ones are such great motivation. I'm working to be able to chase my little one around once she learns to walk :love:

Laura: 50lbs is doable and I'm sure we can butt kick you if needed! Did you get your run in today?

Meg: I'm with steph...perhaps jump ahead a few weeks on the C25K.

Didi: great job on reaching that milestone!!

Andrea: welcome! I have a love of chocolate too and can't keep it in the house. When I do buy it now I try to buy dark chocolate so a little goes a long way.

Chrisitine: Welcome!! Lots of support here!

Well not much new here. I took a day off from logging yesterday but don't feel like I ate toooo bad. The scales were not friendly this morning and I'm not worrying about it as I'm sure most of it is water, especially considering how sore my chest muscles are from doing chest press the other day. I must say I hate how much strength I have lost since becoming pregnant. I used to be one of the strongest girls in the gym and was chest pressing using 18kg weights (each hand) and this week I was only using 10kg. I know I will get back there but it makes me sad. Same with the loss of core strength.

Busy day today as have two baby activity groups to go to (at least I won't be at home munching!!) and then will be going to the gym tonight. Doesn't matter what time hubby gets home to take over, I am going! Hope you all have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I won't reply individually this time. Sitting in Bucharest airport with about another three and a half hours before my next flight. Just had the most revolting chicken breast schnitzel and rice with mushrooms, lukewarm and tasteless, didn't eat much of it but I did count some calories. It was so bad I bought myself a pack of potato crisps (naughty, naughty) and polished off 25g immediately with a whisky. Ridiculous all this, I left home at 6:30 this morning and won't reach my destination until about 22:00 my time (that''s 10pm for those over the pond) local time midnight so I have to set my alarm for 6am local to get up for work. In total about 4 hours flying time, the rest sitting around in airports and travel either end. This is the downside to travel and doesn't happen too often, so I can't really complain, but I will anyway! But, I did without lunch and, apart from the crisps, have studiously avoided snacking though the chocolate and the ice cream on display look tempting. Drinking has been difficult today, not to mention the dehydrating effects of flying, so I can see the water being retained left, right and centre............ Never mind, I have next week working from home to get rid of it!

I haven't by any means finished yet, but my pedometer is showing 2.8 kilometres, all of it at a brisk walking pace. I notice a big difference, end of last year I was standing on the moving walkways in airports to get my breath back, now I walk them and don't stop before I get to my destination. And I'm not out of breath! Heart rate is up but that's how it should be.

I just realised this morning, I'm roughly 20% of the way towards my goal! Not bad for a couple of months' effort. The annoying thing is it doesn't really show yet, so I guess I've been losing visceral fat which is great and has made me more healthy. Hope the subcutaneous stuff starts to go soon!!

I hope you're all keeping to your targets and the weight is just dripping off. If not, well I'll be onto you when I get back!!
  • laura666666
    laura666666 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Hope your Mondays weren't too bad!

Stephanie- yes i did thanks, only a 20minute jog but i felt so smug it was ridiculous! I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the scales next week

Andrea- chocolate ice cream does it for me- if only i didnt feel the need to eat the whole tub! Have you tried yoga/pilates, it will strengthen you up and tone without putting too much pressure on your back (so I believe)

didifournierb- congratulations on the halfway there goal!!

steph_135 & meg- i made jambalaya last night, made loads and froze some, then will be eating it several nights this week. One of my favourite meals! Its ok though, I worked out I can eat a whole bowlful and be ok on calories! Have to work it out for the way my mum makes it too. She uses more veg and different types then less meat. Then I can change it up a bit!!

meg- I love doctor who too! My friends take great delight in mocking me over it!

A good day today, admittedly it took me half an hour to get out of bed to go for my jog, but the elation I felt was worth it. Will have to get up at 5am tomorrow though to fit it in- I'm thinking that my stubborness wont let me give up on day 2, so some how I'll get up. I searched online and found theres a 10km run near me on the 19th May so I've decided to have that as a mini goal. Even if I walk half of it, its still an improvement on where I am now.
  • _tru_
    _tru_ Posts: 96
    Options
    @tnsummer – It depends on what type of guy he is. Both Stephs give great advice. Have you tried just asking him why he has lost his motivation and/or if there is anything you can do to help him with it? Sometimes a good conversation is all that is needed. Hope he gets back at it soon!

@steph_135 – What kind of workouts are you doing? Is it feasible to go to a “work out 2 days, slack 2 days” cycle? If so, start there and see how things progress. I consider this journey to be a lifelong-learning and ever-changing process. You can do this!

@uhohkerri – I hope you “Spring Break” is going well. With all those children you could start your own soccer (or your sport of choice) team!

@pidnit – Welcome. Love your goal of beating your 4-year old granddaughter in a jumping contest. That rocks!

@laura – Welcome. It sounds like you already have a great plan! Feel free to pass along any delicious recipes! :)

@megblackburn – Hope you are doing well!

@steph_135, again – I have heard from a few people (uhohkerri, as well?) that there are quite a few workout videos on Youtube. As well, our local library has quite a selection of them, which make it great for trying out different ones. Perhaps your library has some as well.

@didifournier – That’s a great loss! Way to go!

@Kailexx – Just step away from the chocolate! I can’t keep any in the house, so I understand. Can you ask the others in the house to keep their chocolate out of your sight? Hopefully they will understand and help you as much they can. As for working out, if you have a back injury I’d suggest walking. Just go at a pace that is comfortable and doesn’t make your back worse. Once your back is better and you have more strength, then you can look at other programs. Just a friendly suggestion, of course. :)

@christinesyea – Are you eating enough calories throughout the day? A lack of calories earlier in the day can lead to an overeat later in the day.

@stephaniezoundi – You are very welcome hun! I’m just glad that you are back at it! We’ve missed you around here! Great to see you back!!!

@ron – Those are great NSVs! Hope you got in a good meal somewhere during today’s travels. Have a great day!

@laura, again – 10km! WOW! That’s a great mini-goal. Go Laura GO!

I’m happy to report that last night I hopped on the elliptical for the first time in years! I was holding off because I was scared I wouldn’t last more than 1 minute. Well, I lasted 20mins! YES! It was on the easiest level, but I’ll take it! Have a great day everyone!!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Seems I'm finally feeling well enough to get back at it. I've missed everyone here and see so many new friends. I'll read up and re-introduce myself soon.

Happy Monday - don't you just love a fresh start?!