How I lost 10lbs (of fat) in 7 days

Options
Disclosure -This blog post contains personal information that most sane people do not disclose to strangers, or more so, people they know. So if you’re nosy and want to know how much I weigh, my bodyfat %, BMI, mental health, and how I changed my eating habits in a week, keep on reading. If you’re interested in finding out how I starved myself, took diet pills and ran 10 miles everyday, you wont find that here.
As you can see from my print out’s http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/image/40133364925 I’m pretty overweight, in fact, as my BMI is over 30, I’m technically obese.

Why on earth would you want to share this information? Aren’t you embarrassed, and erm.. ashamed that you’ve let yourself go?
I’m not embarrassed, or ashamed. I think in order to feel emotions on that level, you have to be in a place where you are continuing those same behaviours, and wanting to hide from the truth. I am not. And the people who read this from finding it on Facebook will know how I look anyway, this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

In the spirit of sharing and keeping record here are my current measurments - (inches)

Waist - 32

Hips - 42.5

Upper Thighs (around both, standing) - 46.5

Chest - 35 inches

(Leg and arms I’v found are irrelevant and too hard to get the same measurement every time)

Losing 10lbs in a week was challenging but an empowering and educational experience. I didn’t set out to lose a lot of weight, in fact, the weight number on the paper isn’t what i’m interested in, not primarily anyway. It’s the body fat % number at the bottom which I feel is the most important. As you can see it’s off the charts but I did manage to burn 4.1kg or 9.02lbs of body fat, which I had double checked with callipers at my gym.

I wanted to write this blog post to share my experience in the beginning of a major lifestyle change, to be accountable, and hopefully give you all something to think about.

When I was 18, I was in the best shape I’ve ever been, 154lbs, a BMI of 24 and wearing size 10-12 clothes, happy to wear little dresses and shorts. I had just dropped 35lbs in 4 weeks after being put on an SSRI which blew my appetite to smithereens. It may sound like a miracle cure but it resulted in mental confusion, becoming overly dependent on my girlfriend at the time and taking two, very stupid, overdoses.

I put on weight very quickly when I met my partner, and before I realised, I was up 70lbs within a few months. Some part of that was due to being able to eat 3 course meals out 3/4 nights a week, it was an exciting novelty, and another was that I wrecked my body for eating -1000 calories every day for 2 months. At the time, I didn’t have the tools to be able to deal with it in the right way, I felt pretty awful and still used food as a coping mechanism. Looking back now, I think I was eating probably double my BMR* every day, for over a year. I’m actually surprised I’m not the size of house.

In 2012, I was determined to get to my “goal weight” by NYE, which obviously didn’t happen. I had experimented with lots of different ways of eating and exercising, most of which were not so fun. I never did any kind of calorie restriction diet, but I found spacing out 1400 calories across a whole day really difficult, I ended up resorting to using “diet foods” like Weight Watchers ready meals, low calorie bread, low fat butter and all that rubbish so I wouldn’t go over my limit. Eating 3/4 times a day, I have never been so hungry, exhausted and eating obsessed!! I was constantly thinking about food, what and when I was going to eat, I even set alarms on my phone in the fear that if I didn’t eat every 4 years I would go into “starvation mode” and my metabolism would suffer - it felt like an eating disorder! I was also trying to force myself into exercises which caused me pain whilst doing it. I damaged my ankles badly doing the home Insanity workouts and was forced off my feet for 3 months.

Then in December, thanks to talking to some people on MyFitnessPal, re-reading The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris and doing a bit of experimenting, I found a method of eating and exercising, which when combined, has given me energy, drive and motivation like I have never experienced. I set out to be as healthy as a could before going to my parents for Xmas, so I could be free to indulge in our last Christmas in the UK for a few years.

This is how I lost 10lbs in 7 days

1) I used an intermittent fasting method of eating. I eat in “windows” my usual being 16:00-22:00. I consume at least 1200 calories in that window.

2) I was active every day. For three of these days we were visiting family in Norfolk, so I walked their dog for 40 mins each morning. Week days when I am home, I power walk 5 miles (the distance to the gym and back) which takes an hour. Weekends, if we are busy, I go for a quick 20 minute walk, if not, I do my usual routine. If it’s pissing it down with rain, to the point where I can hardly see, there is no way I am getting off the boat. I just do a double treadmill session the next day.

3) I made my gym workout as efficient and enjoyable as possible. I do not no anything that makes me feel uncomfortable or that I don’t look forward to doing. I do HIIT on the treadmill for 14 minutes (any more and I get bored). I walk for 60 seconds, then run for 60-90 seconds then walk etc. My current pace is 6.8kmph and 11.2kmph, I turn this up to 12kmph in the last minute. I don’t particularly enjoy endurance or long distance running so I don’t do it. After every rest day I can run for longer intervals of time.

4) I lifted heavy. I love lifting free weights, more than any other type of exercise. They make me feel powerful, and there is nothing like it when the guy you’re standing next to is lifting 8kg dumbbells and you’re lifting 12’s. The weight room in the gym can be a little daunting to the novice, in mine there is an overwhelming presence of testosterone and steroids. It’s interesting to say the least.

5) Walk like you’re on a mission. Run like you’re being chased by a dinosaur.

6) I ate junk food one night of the week, and still do. By junk food, I don’t mean I stuff myself to the brim with McDonalds. At the in-laws I had a small portion of fish and chips. At home on a “high calorie day” I will have a meal with a higher carbohydrate content, a pudding and two glasses of red or bubbly.

7) I used food to fuel my body, not as a reward. Of course food can be a treat, it can taste and look delicious but we eat it to create our bodies. We are literally what we eat and drink. From our hair, skin and organs down to how our brains work and the way that we think. I used to give myself a cheat or treat day once a week to reward myself for eating so well during the week. Personally, I found this thought process destructive. I spent all week looking forward to this one day where I could eat a load of processed crap, and I dreaded the rest. Now, nothing is off the table. It’s easier to pick what to eat when you have the option of everything possible.

8) I drank at least 3 litres of water a day. 1.5 litres as soon as I got up. And the rest throughout the day. I usually drink 1 litre while at the gym. It made me pee like crazy when I started drinking more, but after a few days my body got used to it.

9) I had one alcoholic drink, a Cointreau and Champagne cocktail. Yum.

10) I had no puddings, apart from fruit. I ate at least 2 satsumas and an apple in the evening, and watermelon and plums being my favourite.

11) I took a berocca in the morning and two supplements 30 minutes before eating, EGCg, which is a powerful green tea antioxidant and Alpha Lipoic Acid which helps to control blood sugar levels and fuel muscles - I am very susceptible to post meal drowsiness.

12) I got into the habit of pressing Snooze just once. We used to be very bad with this, sometimes getting out of bed an hour after the alarm has gone off. Now I allow 10 mins for cuddles and I’m the first one up!

13) I was mindful and responsible, not self destructive. Get to know what you actually enjoy cooking and eating, and eat that. Be aware of the better option, and pick it. One of the worst things you can do is pick the worse option when you know the healthy one is right there. Toughen yourself up, nothing worth having comes easily. You’ll find that with every good decision you make, the next ones become more and more easy and you’ll get into the habit of saying “NO! I don’t want those mini eggs!” And “YES, I’m really ****ing tired but I’m going for a walk anyway!”.

14) I got used to people saying “You on a diet or something?”“Just one wont hurt” “Go on, I’ll be sad if you don’t eat it”. These situations can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable and tricky. I easily got used to saying “Thank you but I’m not dieting really, just trying to eat a bit healthier”. Ignore the “It’s about time” looks. Luckily, I had a very understanding mother in law who didn’t guilt trip me into eating her lovely fried breakfast or pudding after family lunch.

15) I confronted the lazy voice in my head. I had a conversation with this voice, literally. It decided to not bother me as much any more, and it kept it’s word.

16) I explored what the benefits of being overweight were. I wrote a list, and then wrote a more powerful contradicting response to each point.

17) I apologised to my body for treating it badly and became at peace with myself. In the past I got so angry it parts of my body, and I hated specific bits. Why? It was my fault, my bad choices they were like that. I learnt to accept responsibility for every part of myself which helped my mind feel more attached to my body. It’s easier to abuse when you don’t see your body as belonging to yourself. Nurture your relationship with it by exfoliating and keeping it soft and smelling nice.

18) I learnt to accept the flaws I can’t change. I have a few stretch marks, which for a while really put me off changing my lifestyle. I thought “What’s the point of being slimmer if I’m still scarred?”. Now they are hardly visible and it’s not like I wear a bikini everywhere. My ankles get pretty swollen when I exercise, they look pretty bad but oh well, they can only get better. The most annoying flaw is that I have wide feet that cramp up easily. They are wide to the point that my little toes have now made holes in the sides of my trainers due to the rubbing. But I just keep walking, walking, walking, just keep walking!

19) I have two squares of dark chilli chocolate with a low cal mint hot chocolate before I go to bed. This I feel is my only “trick”. When I was experimenting a few months ago, and was weighing myself daily, whenever I had this, my bf % the next day was always lower than other days when I hadn’t. It is also a great psychological trick for beginners so you don’t feel deprived of the food you love.

20) I got used to feeling hungry. When I started Intermittent fasting, by 12pm I was feeling nauseas from hunger, but then the next day I wasn’t. It is very, and surprisingly easy to get over feeling hungry. I also found that the more I drink, the less my body tells me to eat something. At the time, looking back now, I think my body was set to eat and store mode. That evil little voice in my head was telling me to eat, eat, eat! But I knew I didn’t need to, so we had our conversation and that urge to splurge happened much less frequently. Now, it’s like someone has flicked a switch. I am in a totally different, powerful, energetic and fat burning mode.

There are some points here which need further explaination which I will write about more in due course. I have my “weigh in” at Boots every Wednesday, and along with my measurements I will continue to blog to let you know how my methods are getting along.

Soon, between my recipe posts, I will be talking more about -

Intermittent Fasting

Starvation Mode and stabilising blood sugar levels

Shorter, More Efficient Exercising

Books I reccomend reading

Hypnosis, NLP and Becoming More Fit and Healthy

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

talktome@yummygalley.com

http://www.facebook.com/YummyGalley

@Yummy_Galley

http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/

*Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories your body burns at rest to maintain normal body functions. It is the amount of calories per day your body burns, regardless of exercise. It changes with age, weight, height, gender, diet and exercise habits.

Dominique

x

Replies

• HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump x
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump for later

Thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    sorry to disolution you as you make some very good points regarding changing ones lifestyle.... however there is no way on Gods great earth that you lost 10lbs of fat in a week..you lost 10lbs of scale weight of which at 1200 cals a days probably no more than 2lbs was fat..the rest was water & excretia.
  • jessjayjenk
    jessjayjenk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very enlightening. Well done for being so motivated and sticking to it! I'm glad you seem happier for the experience. Good luck for the future!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sorry to disolution you as you make some very good points regarding changing ones lifestyle.... however there is no way on Gods great earth that you lost 10lbs of fat in a week..you lost 10lbs of scale weight of which at 1200 cals a days probably no more than 2lbs was fat..the rest was water & excretia.

I too am calling BS on losing 10lbs of fat in 7 days. That would require a caloric deficit of approx 35,000 cal or a deficit of 5,000 cal per day or liposuction.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi there Jilly,
    I did actually burn about 9lbs of fat in a week, which I had double and triple checked by my gym with callipers and there fat measuring machine. When a did WW a couple years ago, I lost 7lbs in the first week, and by body looked no different, no change in inches. With this first week in IF (I was already exercising a little and eating well before), I lost 2 inches around my waist, 1 around my chest, 1.5 around my hips and I went down a full cup size.
    I was eating around 1200 calories a day, but also burning at least 600. There is a myth that you can, and should, only aim to lose 2lbs a week because any more than that is "muscle loss". That is exactly what it is, a myth.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I really don't want people to read the OP's post and think it is a miracle way to lose weight/fat quickly......it isn't.

It's simply low calorie with exercising. This will always result in fast "weight loss",(actually it's mostly water loss) for the first week, sometimes longer for some people.

I myself have done this type of thing in the past, plenty of times over the years, when I would regularly crash diet and I have lost between 7 and 12lbs in a week. But it is NOT FAT and it will come back on just as quickly as it left once your body settles back down.

Please.....if you are reading the OP's post and want to follow her lead, do so by all means, but be under no illusion of what you are losing and that it is temporary.

Quite simply...our bodies just don't work that fast! :noway:
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the barer of bad news but 10lb in 7 days is basically impossible. What you lost was mainly water weight and, well, poop.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that this is physically possible, water weight and crapping sounds more plausible...

It's great that you are adopting a lifestyle change though, good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think it's entirely possible to lose more than 2lbs of pure body fat a week depending on your size.

I think you probably have done that but 10lbs? I doubt it given the differences in energy yields of a 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat and how that correlates to TDEE but I am open to being convinced

I think you may have fallen from slick marketing which distorts the distinction between LBM and actual muscle mass but again I am happy to wait for your comments.

Well done on your success though. You must be thrilled.
  • vixphil
    vixphil Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water weight and poop theory and in my experience it's also true that it will come back on. Actually it's been my experience that you get it back and a bit more. Your body has a set weight that it will work to keep you at, provided all things are in moderation. So if you overeat one day but go back to your average meals the next, you won't put on weight. It will keep you at the weight it thinks you're meant to be. When you crash diet you confuse your bodies mechanisms for maintaining weight and you end up blowing way out of your usual range. Losing anything up to 2.2lbs (1kg) a week has been shown to be gradual enough for most peoples bodies to lose weight while still keeping their metabolism in great shape.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    :^^^^^^^^
    THIS:drinker:
    Follow the MFP recommendations for safe, steady and LASTING results.
    Those in a race with nature finish last.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I too am calling BS on losing 10lbs of fat in 7 days. That would require a caloric deficit of approx 35,000 cal or a deficit of 5,000 cal per day or liposuction.

Same here. Good job on making SOME positive changes, but 10 pounds of fat in one week? Someone measured incorrectly.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hi there Jilly,
    I did actually burn about 9lbs of fat in a week, which I had double and triple checked by my gym with callipers and there fat measuring machine. When a did WW a couple years ago, I lost 7lbs in the first week, and by body looked no different, no change in inches. With this first week in IF (I was already exercising a little and eating well before), I lost 2 inches around my waist, 1 around my chest, 1.5 around my hips and I went down a full cup size.
    I was eating around 1200 calories a day, but also burning at least 600. There is a myth that you can, and should, only aim to lose 2lbs a week because any more than that is "muscle loss". That is exactly what it is, a myth.
    WRONG!
    You are going to fail with your approach.
    There is no virtue in absurd food intake. Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Check out this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

Don't fall into the crash diet trap. Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Here's a great group right here on MFP:
    Eat More To Weigh Less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less What troubles me is that others might actually believe this absurdity and stifle their progress as you have done.
    Everybody is looking for the fast, easy path.
    The one thing you or those reading these posts will not be able to cry about?
    Can't say you were NOT warned.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hi there Jilly,

Of course, you can be delusional with yourself all you want, but to post something so utterly untrue on a community forum with so many people yearning for a "quick fix" is extremely irresponsible of you. Be an adult and if you want to abuse your body - keep it to yourself. There are healthy ways to lose weight and they do NOT include netting 600 calories a day. Stop spreading your nonsense!
  • beaming
    Options
    So interesting...
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Hi there Jilly,

Of course, you can be delusional with yourself all you want, but to post something so utterly untrue on a community forum with so many people yearning for a "quick fix" is extremely irresponsible of you. Be an adult and if you want to abuse your body - keep it to yourself. There are healthy ways to lose weight and they do NOT include netting 600 calories a day. Stop spreading your nonsense!
    ^^^^This. GTFO of here.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hi there Jilly,
    Be very careful with that. While it's true that muscle loss often isn't a primary concern for someone who is obese, it is a very real concern for leaner people. That's why strength training is recommended for those eating at a calorie deficit--it helps preserve LBM. And no, it's not a good idea to slash your calories too much. Your nutrition will eventually begin to suffer, leading to some very unpleasant side effects.
  • Rickjuh
    Rickjuh Posts: 67
    Options
    IF-ing rulez!!! Really like this way. Normally i was always hungry. Now since i have been IF-ing, i dont really get hungry in the morning or craving for McDonalds or any other fast food corp. hahaha

I feel amazing! Fat is falling off!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Wow, so you were only netting 600 cals a day? And you are trying to pass this off as healthy and convince others to try it? That's disgusting.