What's the skinny on squats?

Options
Honestly. Going through these forums drives me crazy, how true is it that squats bulk up/make your thighs larger? I always thought muscle build was dependent on the diet we eat, I'm already eating at a deficit. The squats/lunges I do are part of JM. I have 25/24.5 inch thighs and 38''hips. (I know, humongous). I don't expect to reduce more than 2 inches on them because even if I lose weight all over it's very difficult for me to lose there.

But I love the squats and lunges. I'm more used to cardio so the strength training seems like a challenge. Is it okay for me to continue with this or am I really at a risk of growing larger thighs? I'm a pear.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    In the summer, I bike a lot. In the winter, I do a lot of squats and lunges - but my thighs have always been larger. My waist is 26", hips 34.5" and my thighs are 21".

You're not huge. I'm just a few inches smaller, and I'm wearing smalls. I'd like to hear any tips about them, too, I guess! I do Brazil Butt Lift and there are a LOT of squats and lunges in BumBum. (One of the workouts).
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You'll find you will lose size as the fat is lost but that you are left with muscle underneath, not skin fat and bones.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    They will ultimately make the muscles bigger if you do lots and particularly if you use weights, but your diet helps rid you of the fat surrounding the muscles, so the measurements should either decrease or stay about the same. The muscles in my thighs are currently as big as they have ever been, but my thighs are the smallest they have been since I was in 7th grade. Keep doing the squats. If when you are satisfied with everything else they still seem too big, then you can decide whether you want to stop or just add enough cardio to break them down a little.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do heavy barbell squats (I squat more than my body weight) and I have not bulked up. Before I was serious about lifting my thighs were 21". A year and a half later with a focus on lifting, and no weight loss (just recomp), my thighs are 19.25" I'm at the point now where I WANT some more size, but it has been very challenging to do so, even lifting heavy.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I would kill for 21'' thighs, believe me. To avoid encountering the slow fat-burn, quick muscle build that I suspect constitutes everyone's version of bulking up, I started doing BFBM and pilates. I would really like to know if there's truth in this notion.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    muscle hypertrophy is activated by resistance training, diet, and hormones. The reason why Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift are named the 'big three' is because science and research have determined that these 3 exercises release the most amount of HGH. If you have a significant amount of fat around your thighs and hips and try to build muscle without lsoing the fat first, the muscle is going to push the fat out further, making it seem like u have bigger thighs.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    They will ultimately make the muscles bigger if you do lots and particularly if you use weights, but your diet helps rid you of the fat surrounding the muscles, so the measurements should either decrease or stay about the same. The muscles in my thighs are currently as big as they have ever been, but my thighs are the smallest they have been since I was in 7th grade. Keep doing the squats. If when you are satisfied with everything else they still seem too big, then you can decide whether you want to stop or just add enough cardio to break them down a little.

You say particularly if you use weights. I use just 2 kg in each hand, which is like 4.4 lbs. (For JM). Isn't that light? And the reps are what she does. I basically do not want to alter my body shape or bulk up. Will a combination of JM 30DS and BMFB do me fine?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Newbie gains aside (and that would be minimal), you will not build muscle unless you are eating at a surplus and lifting heavy.

I have a before and after picture in my photos. As someone who has always had big, muscular legs (but also carry my fat there) the only thing dieting and lifting heavy has achieved is smaller, nicer shaped legs and butt.

Don't be afraid to squat.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Kind of what Im scared of.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

What are you scared of?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I do heavy barbell squats (I squat more than my body weight) and I have not bulked up. Before I was serious about lifting my thighs were 21". A year and a half later with a focus on lifting, and no weight loss (just recomp), my thighs are 19.25" I'm at the point now where I WANT some more size, but it has been very challenging to do so, even lifting heavy.

Increase the reps and\or slow the tempo and eat more ;)

OP: No one ever got big eating a deficit. Almost no woman ever got big without steroids.
  • capriqueen
    Options

What are you scared of?

That if I don't get to burning the fat first, I will end up putting on muscle with the fat staying, so that I'll have bigger ones than before.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just squat
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Pardon? stfu?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

What are you scared of?

That if I don't get to burning the fat first, I will end up putting on muscle with the fat staying, so that I'll have bigger ones than before.

That's not how it works. You won't put on muscle eating at a calorie deficit and squatting bodyweight plus 8lbs. Especially as a woman. Even squatting heavy you won't. To build muscle you need to eat a surplus of calories and lift heavy (there are few exceptions like newbie gains however that still won't amount to a large amount of muscle)
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Oh, thanks a lot for that. I keep seeing these forums where people clain their thighs got bigger because of squats, and how only cardio/pilates helped them. I kind of like weight-lifting- I find it fun and challenging and a great stress-reliever for my otherwise hectic work routine.

Thanks again!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    My legs are starting to look super sexy, all thanks to squats. They are not big, or bulky (man I hate those words!) They are getting defined and strong.

For the love of God just SQUAT!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Oh, thanks a lot for that. I keep seeing these forums where people clain their thighs got bigger because of squats, and how only cardio/pilates helped them. I kind of like weight-lifting- I find it fun and challenging and a great stress-reliever for my otherwise hectic work routine.

Thanks again!

I have seen those too. I have yet to see one who actually took measurements and or photos and posted them.
    Also, a lot of people mistake losing fat and being able to see the muscle as "building" muscle when it isn't. Others experience slight swelling after a workout (which is typical and temporary) and worry it is muscle building. I experience the same thing when I start running after a long layoff.
    I can't remember if I mentioned it in this post or not, but I do have a before and after picture in my photos of starting out overweight, then starting strength training and cardio along with a diet high in protein. My thighs definitely got smaller, not larger.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    For the love of God just SQUAT!
    [/quote]

Hahaha :D Yeah I've incorporated them, or rather, JM has. I like the idea of compound movements, and the idea that my strength is improving. I'm not really looking at great muscular legs as I wont really be showing them off or anything, (though I would love to have them) but more of a reduction in inches.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    SQUATS ARE FOR AWESOME PEOPLE. (if you arent awesome, dont worry about it - no pressure to play)

:flowerforyou: