What's the skinny on squats?

Options

Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    muscle hypertrophy is activated by resistance training, diet, and hormones. The reason why Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift are named the 'big three' is because science and research have determined that these 3 exercises release the most amount of HGH. If you have a significant amount of fat around your thighs and hips and try to build muscle without lsoing the fat first, the muscle is going to push the fat out further, making it seem like u have bigger thighs.

spot on! some trainers advise losing fat first and then strength training for this reason.
  • joeint
    joeint Posts: 31
    Options
    The only thing I like better than squats are dead lifts. ;-)
  • serapi
    Options
    Newbie gains aside (and that would be minimal), you will not build muscle unless you are eating at a surplus and lifting heavy.

I have a before and after picture in my photos. As someone who has always had big, muscular legs (but also carry my fat there) the only thing dieting and lifting heavy has achieved is smaller, nicer shaped legs and butt.

Don't be afraid to squat.

this is why some trainers often focus on weight loss first and then strengthening after a certain amount of fat has been lost.
  • serapi
    Options
    Squat+vs+No+Squats.jpg

these two women have different body types! this is misleading.
  • serapi
    Options
    well, Tara Reid is only 37 and hers looks worse..
    TARADIMPS.jpg

do-squats.jpg

just sayin..

again, these women carry fat on their body differently...different body types.

misleading.
  • serapi
    Options
    Estrogen keeps you from bulking up. Once you are past menopause, you might have a little problem, but otherwise you should be fine.

Once I've lost the fat on my thighs (just 2 or 3 pounds more) I plan on re-introducing leg work into my program. I carry fat on my thighs and I have a really hard time losing the layer of fat. I find that I can only focus on fat loss to really lose that fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    muscle hypertrophy is activated by resistance training, diet, and hormones. The reason why Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift are named the 'big three' is because science and research have determined that these 3 exercises release the most amount of HGH. If you have a significant amount of fat around your thighs and hips and try to build muscle without lsoing the fat first, the muscle is going to push the fat out further, making it seem like u have bigger thighs.

spot on! some trainers advise losing fat first and then strength training for this reason.
    Estrogen keeps you from bulking up. Once you are past menopause, you might have a little problem, but otherwise you should be fine.

Once I've lost the fat on my thighs (just 2 or 3 pounds more) I plan on re-introducing leg work into my program. I carry fat on my thighs and I have a really hard time losing the layer of fat. I find that I can only focus on fat loss to really lose that fat.

I would prefer to maintain as much muscle as i can while losing fat instead of dropping fat and muscle (since when losing you inevitably lose both, the difference is how much. Strength training helps minimize the loss) then trying to add muscle back on.
    For me, the muscle makes my legs firmer and helps smooth out the cellulite.

ETA - not to mention adding muscle involves adding fat along with it which means another cut. Why go the extra step? And it is much harder to gain muscle than to lose fat.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I would prefer to maintain as much muscle as i can while losing fat instead of dropping fat and muscle (since when losing you inevitably lose both, the difference is how much. Strength training helps minimize the loss) then trying to add muscle back on.

ETA - not to mention adding muscle involves adding fat along with it which means another cut. Why go the extra step? And it is much harder to gain muscle than to lose fat.

Well said. Thanks for clearing this all up!
  • smeltjunior
    smeltjunior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Squat! And, do lots of them!!

Not only is squatting a very effective exercise for the overall development of your glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings, but (individually) the most productive exercise you can perform. Squatting will also help stimulate muscle growth in your upper body if you perform the movement properly and if you perform the movement to momentary muscular failure. I have yet to hear anyone ***** and complain they are obtaining to much muscle mass too quickly. Muscle growth is a very slow process and even slower for women. The proof...the majority of both men and women have not developed the mental and physical tolerances to optimally stimulate muscle growth. One's ability to tolerate an extreme amount of physical pain and continuously push one's self to the boundaries of momentary muscular failure is a requirement for optimal muscle stimulation; thus, muscle growth, and requires many years of proper training! Having said that, squat all you want and keep pushing yourself physically and mentally during your training. Be careful, squatting is one of the most vulnerable movements you can perform, and if performed improperly can induce injury and be very detrimental to your progress both physically and mentally.

It is possible to lose fat while stimulating muscle growth. The majority of individuals rely on either cardiovascular training or dieting or a combination of both to lose fat. The scientific principles in weight loss reduction are proven and work. If you are eating less than your maintenance level of daily calories, you will lose weight...period! And, the opposite is true as well. The key...find out your existing daily intake of calories required to maintain your existing body mass. The quickest way to lose fat is to fast. However, fasting is not the most effective and healthiest way to lose fat (for obvious reasons) with longevity in mind.

While you incorporate cardiovascular training and/or a daily calorie reduction, muscle growth becomes more challenging. The results of cardiovascular training on the physiology of the body will become a significant factor in one's ability to recover from the exhaustive affects of your strength training (muscle growth stimulation) and lead to an over-trained state more rapidly at which point your strength will cease or even start to regress. When you lose strength, you lose muscle mass...this has been proven medically. The strength of the muscle is directly proportional to its cross-sectional area, so as the muscle becomes stronger, it becomes bigger. Unfortunately, the opposite is true as well...as the muscle becomes weaker, it becomes smaller. A calorie reduced diet may lead one to recover more quickly from training. However, a drastic reduction in daily calories may not warrant enough nutrients the body requires for optimal muscle growth.

If you want optimal muscle growth keep your cardiovascular work to a minimum and evaluate your training based on your strength...even a negligible strength increase will yield a size increase (muscle growth) . If you want to lose weight and fat...eat less! If you want to loss fat while stimulating muscle mass do a combination of the aforementioned, but acknowledge the point where you have reached an over-trained state because it will happen much quicker without prejudice. All humans reach an over-trained state with time (some faster than others, some slower). The key...knowing what to do once it's reached!
  • islandbeauty81
    islandbeauty81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Squats have done wonders for me.
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I've been attacking squats for a while. Normally I'll do V-Squats and Hacks on the machine both right now I can 270 with good sets. Anything that I feel I can't go low enough.

I can never find a spot with the bar without my neck bothering me for a plan Squat with alot of weight. I've tried using pads but still get a horrible amount of pain.
  • serapi
    Options
    I would still do squats. I think my legs look bigger since I started squats and lunges but I think that's because I've been building muscle and not losing fat. I already know it's my diet and that I eat too much even if most of it it healthy food. I have been eating 2200-2400 cals a day and gained 1/2 inch in each thigh. I need to eat at about 1600 right now to torch some fat! What sucks for me is that the intense strength training makes me VERY hungry everyday and I'm eating way more then I should right now. Maybe I can maintain at over 2,000 cals but for the last 6 months of eating that much, it's done nothing for me!

This is why I take it easy on the weights when on a diet...to control my hunger
  • serapi
    Options

I don't find that at all. It is very hard for me to lose muscle. I had 2 babies and I am working hard to get back to pre-pregnancy.

I will continue to do what is best for me.
    Not me. I had 2 babies, so that"s why I gained fat.

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Agreed, if you wanted to 'focus on fat loss to lose that fat'... You'd do weight training. Check out the math, it works.
  • serapi
    Options

Thanks, but I know what works for me already.
  • serapi
    Options

No math needed. I'm good and I love my body. Thanks anyway

Agreed, if you wanted to 'focus on fat loss to lose that fat'... You'd do weight training. Check out the math, it works.

No thanks. I'm good. I look great and feel great
  • djenah79
    Options
    kind of off topic, but where do you count the measurement for your thighs? mid-thigh? at the largest point?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Workout to be fit. Your gains in muscle size (or lack thereof) isn't determined by reps, weight, etc as much as it is by genetics. For instance, tall slender people will never get bulky muscles through weights. Women with bulky muscles are extremely rare, due to their estrogen levels.

Feel free to hit the weights hard! I'm betting you will love the results.
  • djenah79
    Options
    kind of off topic, but where do you count the measurement for your thighs? mid-thigh? at the largest point?

nevermind - i googled.