What's the skinny on squats?

Options

Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Workout to be fit. Your gains in muscle size (or lack thereof) isn't determined by reps, weight, etc as much as it is by genetics. For instance, tall slender people will never get bulky muscles through weights. Women with bulky muscles are extremely rare, due to their estrogen levels.

Feel free to hit the weights hard! I'm betting you will love the results.

If someone is happy not lifting heavy, that is all that matters. Some of us are busy mothers and we work out for mental happiness.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of different factors - I tend to gain muscle quickly, so I personally avoid squats, I do variations occasionally, but I too have heard that they bulk you up - best of luck to you!!
  • aryya
    aryya Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lifted weights 'seriously' for at least the past 6 years. I've been squatting through most of it. I used to be scared to do any weight. I currently do around 150 lbs for reps. If anything, my legs have gotten smaller over the years as i've put on LBM as opposed to fat. My legs are naturally big, but unless you're trying (eating surplus and training like a beast) squats aren't going to put on mass (if you are in a surplus and training like a beast then mass is exactly what HEAVY squats will do though).

With weight training, muscle size doesn't happen by accident unless you're a genetic (amazing) freak. Who i would be very envious of, by the way.

But if you're still scared to do weighted squats try something like jump squats, those will help "lean" legs out but keep them nice and strong, while giving you some good cardio.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Workout to be fit. Your gains in muscle size (or lack thereof) isn't determined by reps, weight, etc as much as it is by genetics. For instance, tall slender people will never get bulky muscles through weights. Women with bulky muscles are extremely rare, due to their estrogen levels.

If someone is happy not lifting heavy, that is all that matters. Some of us are busy mothers and we work out for mental happiness.

Is your mental happiness what's keeping you at your cpu, spewing misinformation left and right? I certainly hope it's helping you, because it's not helping anyone else here
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Bahaha, so because I lift heavy I'm not a busy mother? I think my kids would beg to differ.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Is your mental happiness what's keeping you at your cpu, spewing misinformation left and right? I certainly hope it's helping you, because it's not helping anyone else here

2888l5t.gif
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ach, just mix it up, do some challenging weights, WITH SQUATS, or it'll be a gooshy mess, and do some cardio, and eat a little less than maintenance, and watch your macros.

I complicate things for myself sometimes, but honestly that's all it is to get to looking good enough, for most of us.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I know lots of single parents - mothers and fathers that include heavy lifting into their workouts.

ETA - OP never said she was unhappy about lifting...
  • PikaKnight
    Options

2888l5t.gif

QFT
  • serapi
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of different factors - I tend to gain muscle quickly, so I personally avoid squats, I do variations occasionally, but I too have heard that they bulk you up - best of luck to you!!

I agree with you. You might get some rude remarks. Watch out :-)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Here is a remark and it isn't rude.

As some in previous posts have said - women don't get bulky from heavy lifting.

@Serapi - please stop trying to push negativity into the conversation. It isn't appreciated. Trying to say that whatever remarks to a comment is going to be rude is just rude and sets the wrong mindframe for anyone else that posts. Stop it please.
  • serapi
    Options

2888l5t.gif

QFTouchie...DAT hurt my feelings..
  • MidwestAngel
    Options

This isn't going to be rude. It is not likely that you gain muscle quickly. It is fairly difficult for men to gain muscle and they have a lot more testosterone than women do. Sometimes when you are new to lifting it seems like you are gaining quickly because of water retention, but it will not stick around. Just something to think about if that is what is keeping you from lifting.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    Options

Sweetheart I think you are confused. Stating facts are way different than being rude. Lifting heavy doesn't make women become bulky..sheesh.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

I wish she would stop as well. It is hard enough encouraging people to squat among other things when misinformation is being given,

My legs have continuously gotten smaller and more shapely as I have lost weight an increased the amount of weight I use...I am not bulky...I am eating in a calorie deficit, so am not worried.

feel free to look at some of my before and after pictures...they are a work in progress...If I could post butt pictures here I would.

IMGP3680-3.jpg
    IMGP3893.jpg
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    Options

2888l5t.gif

THAT* fixed it for you. :)
  • serapi
    Options

@Serapi - please stop trying to push negativity into the conversation. It isn't appreciated. Trying to say that whatever remarks to a comment is going to be rude is just rude and sets the wrong mindframe for anyone else that posts. Stop it please.

I am not being rude. I am attacked for sharing what works for me.
  • serapi
    Options

2888l5t.gif

THAT* fixed it for you. :)

Actually...no
  • MidwestAngel
    Options

I wish she would stop as well. It is hard enough encouraging people to squat among other things when misinformation is being given,

My legs have continuously gotten smaller and more shapely as I have lost weight an increased the amount of weight I use...I am not bulky...I am eating in a calorie deficit, so am not worried.

feel free to look at some of my before and after pictures...they are a work in progress...If I could post butt pictures here I would.

IMGP3680-3.jpg
    It is impossible to argue with those legs.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I am not being rude. I am attacked for sharing what works for me.

No. People are disagreeing with you. Big difference. Just stop already. You had your thread..stop trying to hijack someone else's.