Lost the weight, but get criticized for what I eat.

Options
I'm four pounds away from my goal weight now. Over the past year and a half, a lot of my co-workers have witnessed my transformation from a size 22 to a size 8 and I've gotten a lot of support from them. But now that I've almost reached my goal, people suddenly feel the need to comment anytime I treat myself to something. There was birthday cake at the office which I usually avoid, but because they brought something new, I decided to try a piece and suddenly I get people coming up to warn me that I'm going to get fat again and making jokes about what I'm eating. The hell?!

Do these people think I suddenly forgot how I gained the weight or how to lose it? And why do they feel such a need to comment? It's especially annoying when the people making the comments really should be re-evaluating their own diet and lifestyle rather than making snarky remarks about mine.

It's great to lose the weight and all, but I've noticed that people suddenly have this expectation that if you lost weight, you automatically will eat nothing but healthy stuff forever and ever and never, ever, ever splurge. And if you do, then they feel the need to jump all over you. Anyone else experiencing this?

Replies

• maribelmacedo
    Options
    Oh my do I? LOL I have my co-workers talking behind my back saying that the way that I lost my weight was by starving myself. OH my no, the way i lost it was by dedication and making a life change.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    eh i cant stand it when people comment on what i eat. its the other way around for me... people telling me to eat junk food.

if it were me i would have just informed them about calories in/out and macros. that would shut them up lol.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry i have nothing to add but just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss :smile: my goal is also 80 pounds and i started at a size 22 as well.

well actually i do have something to add. maybe you can remind them that weight loss isnt just about LOSS it's also about maintenance and in order to maintain that much loss you have to be able to live with what you do for the rest of your life
  • maribelmacedo
    Options
    When they offer me something now I just say no thank you, I like to starve myself. Thanks for the offer. That backed them off a bit.
  • itstimetoeat
    itstimetoeat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OMG me too!!! well i get criticized regardless and I hate it so much. I got into a huge fight with a close friend because of it. We are grown adults. What we do is our decision. Ppl need to not tell others what to do either way. Who are they to point fingers and preach this and that?? its sooo freaking ANNOYING!

Granted my friends don't say mean stuff like that. They all mean well but really? is it necessary? Just let us enjoy when we want and do what we want. We know ourselves best and we know what we want to do with ourselves!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Tell them to "Watch and learn!"
  • itstimetoeat
    itstimetoeat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    WOW I am sooo mad for you!!!! Tell them to mind their own business! Some people really are so rude.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I find most people like that are usually insecure about their own weight. The don't like seeing other succeed where they have failed.
  • Angel_Muss
    Angel_Muss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any yet....but What the hell???

You are awesome! You should be so proud of yourself. People need to mind their own business. Everyone can have a little cake now and then. You know what kind of calories that you can have or what you need to do burn it later.

I am sorry that they treated you like that.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    SOME of them might truly care about your well being and be concerned about a backslide. MOST of them are just impolite and likely ignorant. They have no concept of propriety and spew their views like vomit over anyone and everyone. Brush it off and enjoy your cake when you want to.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Frig what other people say, seriously, if you want the cake then eat the damn cake. I get this from my older sister and my dad. Even though they're the obese ones chugging as much coke and chocolate down their necks. It's a bloody joke!

Just show them that you can still keep the weight off and eat cakes. What a bloody liberty...
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yikes. You obviously have a very good control on your temper. :) I get people pushing gluten on me, trying to tell me a little wont hurt. :P They're all just wrong!
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to a size 8 (congrats!) by eating junk constantly. We all deserve a treat!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just tell them it's OK, then lean in, and say in a hushed whisper, "it goes straight into my colostomy bag"
    :wink:
  • Diane_1984
    Diane_1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think its just jealousy. When I lost weight before getting married people would comment saying you should stop now if you get skinnier you will just look ugly. I think its just when you have made such a dramatic transformation it makes them feel self conscious so they try to put you down to make themselves feel better.

Haters gonna hate! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My mom likes telling me how I "shouldn't be eating that!" if I intend to lose weight.. even though it's stuff I've been eating for the last year. I figure everyone's an expert on how to lose weight as long as it isn't them doing it. Just smile and feel bad for them being so sadly misinformed and enjoy your cake!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Did you ask them to come around to your house and weigh and measure your food for you?

My revenge would be slow and insidious...every mouthful I ate at work for the following week I would show to that work mate and ask if they think it's ok for me to eat.

Then for the following week or two I would innocently comment things like 'gee are you sure you should eat that?' or..'gosh I don't know about that one..' every time they ate.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've had similar I'm sure - but in my case certainly, mostly because I've made a fuss in the past about NOT having cake.
    As with anything, take in your stride. My usual joke when I'm having a bit of an off period is 'diet starts tomorrow' - because it can so easily ALWAYS be starting tomorrow for me.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://imgur.com/mVzwG

This always runs through my head if someone questions what/how much I'm eating. You know know what you're doing; maybe they're just jealous and need a moment to feel superior.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! It is annoying. When someone has cake they will say "well you can't have that." Um, I'm not 4... I can have it if I want it lol. I think these people honestly have no clue. We work hard to lose the weight and become healthy and we also deserve the occasional splurge. What they don't realize it a splurge isn't something we do daily. I honestly have lost more weight a couple of times when I have had a splurge. It's like your body is in shock and kicks it up a knotch lol

On a side note, Congrats on your loss! I can't wait until I am within single digits of my goal!