Lost the weight, but get criticized for what I eat.

Options

Replies

• lfergurson1
    lfergurson1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You know you know what to do and what to eat and you are a grown up.. as a child I was told dont go to birthday parties and my nickname was two ton toni... NOT NICE. Now I take advice that I solicit and anything MEAN spirited I tell them they have hurt my feelings and I really dont want them to criticize me ... Period. Stick up for yourself . If we dont we will eat way more in the privacy of our own home. Geez I have issues. lol here we go.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am so far from my goal but I still get food pushed at me. Apparently it was awful that I only had one glass of wine tonight. I was saving calories for a treat I had promised myself if I stayed withing my calorie limits.

If it is something is not consistent with your goals or it fits into your plan it is your business, not theirs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to a blood drive a few days ago. I didn't give blood this time, but my husband did. We were over at the snack area afterwards and the woman in charge of snacks asked if I wanted any juice or cookies. When I declined she said something like, "Yeah, you're skinny - you can't eat any of this stuff anyway." WTH? I CAN and DO eat whatever I want. She would have been shocked to know about the big bowl of pasta I'd eaten for lunch.

No wonder so many people don't lose the weight (or keep it off). They wrongly assume that deprivation and starvation are keys to a healthy weight...That's just sad. :frown:
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have had such mixed reactions. i told my mom jan 1st was my start date to lose weight. she buys me a cupcake maker and a waffle maker for christmas. really? lol. two days into my diet my best friend buys me a regular monster and gives me a dirty look when i said no. and then my fiance on a couple occasions has seen me eat things that are not on a diet. i hate when people say that!

11 days into this i have lost 17 pounds! the ONLY thing i have done is work out an hour a day on my elliptical and eat 1400 calories. i actually eat more! just smarter. and i posted this on facebook. well.. a couple had to immediately get negative and say ohh its just water weight. i dont care what it is! i started at 265 pounds and its a big deal to me. im proud of how far i came! keep your mouth shut! lol!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I hate that too. I usually tell them that I'm having their piece to spare them from stupid people making insensitive remarks about food in my presence.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    People are always going to give you a hard time about what you eat no matter what. If you're heavy & eating something that's not a carrot they think you're a pig. If you're skinny & have some fries they think you're bulimic. If you're a vegetarian or vegan to better your health the teasing comments never stop. Tell people you're trying to eat better & they bring cookies or offer you something from Taco Bell. Just worry about you & forget all those comments people make. 9 out of 10 times it's because they have no clue how to eat properly anyway.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Tell them to bite your booty and move on.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Seriously why do you care? People are going to criticize you no matter what you do. I've been doing this for long enough to know better then listen to opinions of those that don't really matter. You just keep on pushing yourself darlin.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hate when people ask "Can you have that on your diet?"! I am not on a diet, I am just trying to eat healthy for the rest of my life, it doesn't mean I can't treat myself now and then! Geez!
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's more of a psychological thing I think. When we were out of shape, unhappy with ourselves, whatever the case may be, we weren't perceived as a threat or competition. People just want to keep you down now that you are a threat, in my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt, because I have a history of strongly disliking people.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you on doing what you set out to do! People are jealous and some can be just down right mean or nasty. Usually I eat alone so they don't really ever say anything about what I eat other than maybe if something is offered to me, someone has said "she won't want any~she eats like a bird". If only they knew the amount of food I consume in a day! It's the types of food or the exercise I do to offset what I consume. I too started at size 18+ and have gotten down to a size 8 and am now maintaining. I have learned that this is truly a lifestyle and I am not depriving myself of anything. One of the comments that was made was if I lost any more weight, people would say I'm on drugs. Really? or that because I lost so much weight that my pants looked liked pump tents. Well I'm sorry if 90% of my clothes started to not fit and I couldn't immediately purchase 100% new. I've learned to turn the other cheek and smile. Keep at it girl!
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So when I lost 100lbs I did it with Jenny Craig and people would make remarks that I did it the easy way. That bugged me so much because I worked my butt off and I never cheated only on the one day I allowed my self one meal off of JC. Then when I became pregnant someone made the comment well you did all that work for nothing. I thought to myself maybe but this baby was worth it. Anyway I did gain the weight back but that was because I was just eating and not exercicing and those fat cells love to fill back up! So after I had my son I was nursing and when I would diet I felt like I was not producing enough milk for him. I started eating more and not exercising. Just sat around all winter with the baby and in a few months I had gained back everything! So anyway I got off the subject... People will make comments and all that matters is that you know that you willl do it. I know if I had not been pregnant and high risk so was not allowed to exercise I would have done better. This time I know I can do it because once its off I will always work to kep it off so that I never have to do this again!
  • marine71
    Options
    I say enjoy your cake and eat it too! No matter what you do you will have people that criticize you. The deal is that you have no power over what people think, say or do and once you are aware of that you just start not caring about what people think, say, or do because it is sterile.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    This happens a lot from usually 2 groups of people: people who are close to the same size as you but are smaller and like being smaller, orr people that are bigger and want you to get bigger so they're smaller, or make you feel bad about yourself because they're jealous.
    I mean if it really gets to a bad point then I would start brining in like "bad" food for lunch or snacks or whatever and then eat the healthy stuff at home, since clearly you do splurge now and again, show them that and show them that you are still losing weight.
    Or come back with other jokes: people skinnier than you, be like "yeah I just can't be as skinny as you so I have to eat this cake" little not mean but sort of backhanded jokes. Or you can ignore. Or you can just tell them, yeah I'm eating this cake, why do you care.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Unless you are talking about how good something tastes, It's rude to comment on somebody else's plate, whether it be in regards to how little or how much they have on it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    My response "Oh bless your heart for being so concerned about me." And then drop it. :flowerforyou:

Jealousy is not pretty.:laugh:
  • Sw0914
    Sw0914 Posts: 9
    Options
    I find most people like that are usually insecure about their own weight. The don't like seeing other succeed where they have failed.

I totally agree! Although your co-workers are generally supportive its sounds like the green eyed monster is rearing its ugly head. You have done something that the majority of people will never be able to accomplish. Keep your eye on the ball and don't waste a nano second of energy on those comments. You are the expert on you! Congrats on an amazing job. You have transformed yourself!!!!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally can relate to what you're saying. Last weekend a very good friend of mine came in town for my daughter's birthday, and when he saw me with a piece of cookie cake he had the gall to jokingly suggest I was going to purge it later. Really?! I was fuming.

It does get annoying. I never comment on what other people eat or how much/how little, but it seems a lot of people have to chime in on this. I can't figure out how it's anyone's business what someone else eats.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I fin it funny when I have coworkers look at what I am eating and say "that's so little, you are starving yourself?" what I eat is a balanced portion....quality over quantity I always say.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. I loveee going out with friends and ordering the 'king cut' of prime rib. They look at me like they are thinking wtf?? And, I love it. lol