What to do with Cauliflower?

Options
shardown
shardown Posts: 258 Member
Hi all!
I've got about a kilo's worth of Cauliflower in the fridge and I'm not sure what to do with them. I was originally going to make Aloo Gobi ; it's a North Indian dish with potatoes and Cauliflower but I'm not allowed to have potatoes anymore (PT's orders) so I'm kind of stumped.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Get 1 lb 99% lean jennie-o ground turkey. Brown it. Season with a little lawrys/sea salt, italian seasoning, pepper, garlic powder. All to taste. Split into equal 4 servings.
    To ONE serving add:
    1 Cup brown rice
    1 cup steamed cauliflower
    1/2 cup sliced up brussels
    Bet your bottom you will be so full you cant finish, and you will love it....and its only around 370 calories. Packed with protein.
    Boom. MMMMMM.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You could make Mashed Cauliflower.

Just boil it, mash it with a bit of cream and maybe some butter (by hand, in a blender or with one of those stick blender things), and eat it in stead of mashed potatoes.

My mom does lowcarb so we make this whenever a dish would normally have potatoes if we feel like it... Sometimes we use broccoli or a cauliflower broccoli mix in stead.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Roast it! Fresh garlic, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. I can eat that all day every day!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I've got about a kilo's worth of Cauliflower in the fridge and I'm not sure what to do with them. I was originally going to make Aloo Gobi ; it's a North Indian dish with potatoes and Cauliflower but I'm not allowed to have potatoes anymore (PT's orders) so I'm kind of stumped.

Any ideas?

I love that dish!
    Make it with chickpeas instead!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower soup...cauliflower frittata...cauliflower pie.

...and I would smack down any PT who tried to tell me I wasn't allowed to eat potatoes!
  • Isadaisy12
    Options
    you eat it
  • sisa1965
    sisa1965 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just saw a recipe for Buffalo cauliflower on skinnytaste.com that looked very good
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    eat it raw with dip
    boil it for mash
    roast it
  • kimmysueneal
    kimmysueneal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Roast it! Fresh garlic, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. I can eat that all day every day!

Yes, this! I love any veggie roasted in the oven! So yummy!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I steam mine and put I can't believe it's not butter spray on it. Love it that way
  • shardown
    Options
    Cauliflower soup...cauliflower frittata...cauliflower pie.

...and I would smack down any PT who tried to tell me I wasn't allowed to eat potatoes!

To be fair, she's letting me eat peanut butter after working out so I'm okay with giving up potatoes ;)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Love it!

i either roast it or boil it and mash, then smother with any kid of meaty sauce...like Italian meat sauce or chili con carne, anything hearty.

Some folks have even boiled, mashed and added an egg...... to then shape into a "pizza crust". Bake it up a bit, then top with anything you'd put on a pizza.

I love the idea of chicken curry on top as well!
  • shardown
    Options
    This sounds really good. I'll try doing that.
  • shardown
    Options
    Loving all the suggestions! I haven't experimented with cauliflower very much so this is wonderful!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Could you make the Aloo Gobi with just cauliflower? I've not had it before so don't know how the texture of the potatoes affects the dish.
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    cut it into florets, pulse in food processor till size of rice. Melt about 5 tablespoons of butter, add the cauliflower and cook till looks a bit like fried rice. Add whatever you want, bacon, onion, egg.....it is yummy!!!
  • shardown
    Options
    Hi all!

Any ideas?

I love that dish!
    Make it with chickpeas instead!

That's a great idea! I'll try that out next week :D my mom-in-law would be impressed.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I agree...roast it!
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has several recipes for Cauliflower!!! All real yummy!