What to do with Cauliflower?

Options

Replies

• kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Roast it! Fresh garlic, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. I can eat that all day every day!

Yes, it is so good roasted! My hubby does it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and with some red pepper flakes added, and it is wonderful - sweet and spicy. Let it roast in the oven long enough to start getting a little brown and caramelized, it ends up so good. Never been a huge cauliflower fan, but I love it this way.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Could you make the Aloo Gobi with just cauliflower? I've not had it before so don't know how the texture of the potatoes affects the dish.
    I could.. It's like a dry curry but I'm not sure if DH and BIL would eat it and I don't really want to be stuck eating the whole dish by myself. Or I could add sweet potato in it instead of regular potato.

I really like all the other suggestions as well! Looks like cauliflower will take different forms in this house :D
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love cauliflower!

all great ideas I need to try.

I usually just steam it and slather in cheese sauce.

Or eat it raw with low fat ranch dressing
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I just made mashed cauliflower last night. Yummy.

There are also recipes out there to make a cauliflower pizza dough
  • LaPipebomb
    LaPipebomb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Make Cauliflower rice. Take entire head and rub it on a cheese grater it makes it look like rice and has the same type of texture, add a little water and steam it for a few minutes just to soften it. Eat it as you would any other type of rice. :)
  • MtnMolly
    Options
    Steam it with a tiny bit of butter and Mrs. Dash seasoning.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    * Baked or dehydrated Cauliflower poppers (like popcorn)
    * Roasted Cream of Cauliflower Soup
    * Cauliflower Gratin
    * Slightly boiled/steamed with red wine vinegar
    * Pickle them
    * Puree after boiling/steaming/roasting sauce
    * You can make patties/fritters/balls/cakes
    * And you can still make Aloo Gobi and find a substitute for the potatoes or just have it as is.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    One of two things:

Cauliflower Mash (OH YUM)

1 - head of cauliflower (medium sized)
    1 cup of Fagi 0% yogurt
    Little Sea Salt
    Black Pepper
    Garlic powder
    I can't believe it's not butter spray (optional - or use a smidge of real butter...it's for the flavor)

Chop head of cauliflower into small pieces and put into 3-4 quart pot with lid; add 1/4-1/3 cup of water for steam
    Add a little salt, pepper, garlic
    Steam just until tender

Add to a blender a little at a time (or if you have an immersion blender, puree it in the pot
    Add in the yogurt and a touch of I can't believe it's not butter
    Puree, taste (add additional salt to taste)

YUMMY

Depending on the size of the cauliflower, this generally makes 4 cups
    1 cups serving is 69 calories, with 10 carbs, 9 protein, 4 fiber and 10 calcium

The other thing I've seen on here and heard great reviews on...I've yet to try it is cauliflower bread:

Put the whole of one cauliflower, (everything but the leaves) in the food processor, with 5 eggs.
    Use Pam on the sheet pan and spread it our on the pan.
    350 degrees for about 30 minutes, and then at 275 for like 10 or 20 more. i waited for the edges to peel up on their own.
    Test for to see if it is done by the firmness in the middle.
    The bread itself totals 560 calories. (about 4 normal sized sandwiches)
  • bettyahack
    Options
    Sounds good! Do you break up the florets, toss with EVOO, then bake? At what oven temp? For how long?
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lots of yummy looking ideas :)
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love it just plain. I break it into pieces, wash them off and stick them in the microwave. My microwave has a vegetable setting, so I just press that and in a few minutes they are ready. My husband and I eat them plain and love them. You could add some shredded cheese if you want. I also saw a recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust. If you just google it, you will find it. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine made it for her kids and they even liked it.
  • laurenhutson12
    Options
    Puree them! They make awesome "fake mashed potatoes"
  • adskerry
    adskerry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make Cauliflower pizza crust!! I have been meaning to try this recipe! It sounds so good-and good for you!

http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I've chopped it fine (basically ground) and used it a layer in veggie lasagna. Basically, use it to lessen the amount of cheese.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Roasted is amazing. We actually had it that way tonight. You can use any spices you like

http://thesassygourmet.com/?cat=6&paged=3
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Chop it into 1 in pieces, toss onto a roast pan. Spray with Olive oil spray, or coat with Olive oil. Baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then take out and season with salt and pepper to taste.

If you want to jazz it up even more, melt some butter(or butter alternative), mix with 2 Tbsp Panko break crumbs. When the cauliflower is done roasting, pour it into a casserole dish, and then sprinkle the bread crumbs over top and toss back into the oven for another 5 minutes, or you can put it under the broiler for 2-3, until the crumbs have browned and then serve.

So yummy!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I bought a steamer at Walmarts of less than$20 I think and it is great way to fix most veggies
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! You might also try a low fat version Gobi Manchurian, yum!