Instead of, I eat...

Options
I am not big on deprivation because I don't think it teaches one how to make better food choices,just avoid them so I have been trying to find foods that satisfy my cravings that are a better choice for me. My question is: What are you eating now in place of something less healthy?

Instead of potato soup, I eat cauliflower soup.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    instead of a two twix bars, i eat two servings of peanuts. that's one of the switches i made early on that helped me a lot. replaced 500 calories with 250 cals and I didn't get hungry again nearly as quickly after the peanuts.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips with a sandwich I usually have baby carrots. Sometimes I mix it up with grape tomatoes and/or cucumber slices.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    when I was craving before i would always turn to carbs or sugar....

chips, candy, etc...

lately when I crave I try to turn to protein (I'm not always successful) but I keep nuts, boiled eggs, I always have a crockpot left over in the fridge since I crock pot a LOT. snack on about a 1/3 cup of that and I'm SO full. It's heavy, dense and fills me up for a fraction of the amount.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Instead of chicken nuggets, I eat tilapia.

Instead of a whole hersheys milk chocolate bar, I eat a small dark chocolate piece to satisfy my chocolate craving.

Instead of cheez its, gardettos, wheat thins - I eat peas. I know this one sounds crazy, but i lOVE them!

Instead of milk, I drink almond milk.

Instead of pizza....nope, I still eat pizza sometimes. There is no substitute for pizza. :)
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm with Alex...I turn to protein a lot especially nuts. I have a variety of nuts in my pantry and in my classroom at work.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Options
    I'm with Alex...I turn to protein a lot especially nuts. I have a variety of nuts in my pantry and in my classroom at work.

yes sweetie...we LOVE our nuts...

all varieties, shapes and sizes....

don't we.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Instead of pasta, I eat slim pasta.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

don't we.

Yes....no nuts discrimination for us.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The one that easily made the biggest difference was switching from regular to diet soda (OMG, I KNOW! IMA DIE!).

I love my soda, and I refuse to give it up. Regular soda is generally about 150 cals a can, and considering I drink about 3-4 a day, that's upwards of 450-600 calories...just on coke. That made a huge difference.

Another switch would be going from white potatoes to sweet potatoes. Really not a big nutritional difference between the two, but I love baked potatoes. White potatoes require more "dressing up" (butter, cheese, sour cream, etc) for a decent flavor (at least, IMO). Sweet potatoes are pretty damn tasty as is. So not adding butter, cheese, sour cream and all that jazz saves a decent amount of calories.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

"pantry", huh? oooooook
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Options
    The one that easily made the biggest difference was switching from regular to diet soda (OMG, I KNOW! IMA DIE!).

I love my soda, and I refuse to give it up. Regular soda is generally about 150 cals a can, and considering I drink about 3-4 a day, that's upwards of 450-600 calories...just on coke. That made a huge difference.

Another switch would be going from white potatoes to sweet potatoes. Really not a big nutritional difference between the two, but I love baked potatoes. White potatoes require more "dressing up" (butter, cheese, sour cream, etc) for a decent flavor (at least, IMO). Sweet potatoes are pretty damn tasty as is. So not adding butter, cheese, sour cream and all that jazz saves a decent amount of calories.

You know what Leaky....that's SO true...i hadn't even thought about that...

but I use sweet potatoes in everything instead of russet or yellow and the flavor packs a sweet punch as well as I use virtually no toppings now.

I didn't even think about that...

edited to correct a spelling error
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

don't we.

Heheheheheh :wink:

I use protein powder and some lite Hershey's syrup with milk in my coffee instead of coffee mate. BIG difference in fullness, helps my macros tremendously, and oh, the calories...well, let's just say that when I first started measuring last January I discovered that I added @300 calories of that Italian Sweet Cream ish to my coffee every morning. Um, nothanksbye.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Options

don't we.

Heheheheheh :wink:

I use protein powder and some lite Hershey's syrup with milk in my coffee instead of coffee mate. BIG difference in fullness, helps my macros tremendously, and oh, the calories...well, let's just say that when I first started measuring last January I discovered that I added @300 calories of that Italian Sweet Cream ish to my coffee every morning. Um, nothanksbye.

I want to do this...but every time I use my protein powder it's all clumpy and ugly in my coffee...any tips would be GREAT!

edited to fix my post because apparently I can't post without an error tonight......sighs
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For me, it was Hersey bars. Instead of eating the entire bar (I usually ate a king size, so like, 300 cal) I switched to Hersey Kisses, and only eat about 4 in a sitting (80ish cal). Somedays I still eat too many, but for the most part its curbed a lot of unneeded calories.

Instead of getting french fries as a side (or baking them at home as a side) I now do a lot of fresh fruit or veggies.

Instead of soda, I switched to coffee. I actually feel more awake after one 8oz cup of coffee then I do two cans of pepsi. I also feel kinda sort of a club now.. the coffee club. lol. :)
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Instead of pasta....I eat spaghetti squash.
    Instead of 2% Milk...I drink Almond/1%
    Instead of bacon....I eat turkey sausage
    Instead of fast food...I cook all the time
  • wisteri
    wisteri Posts: 14
    Options
    Loving all of the ideas! Keep em' coming. I feel like this is going to be a toughie for me because I am a carbaholic as well as having a sweet tooth triggered by stress and my life is non-stop stress when I'm in school.

On the subject of chocolate, I will say that I love chocolate chip cookies with a passion but I realized that what I really love is the chocolate so instead.of eating a cookie I'll eat 8-10 semisweet chocolate chips.

I'm thinking of trying zucchini chips or kale chips for my potato chip craving but right now instead of chips I'm eating air popped popcorn, or something else salty like a low fat cheese stick.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Instead of chips at lunch, I have sliced cucumber with a teeny bit of ranch for dipping. It's less calories, I feel way less gross (no grease taste hanging out in my mouth), and my heart thanks me.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Milk or white chocolate (if the latter is even considered chocolate at all), I eat dark chocolate. I'll often eat it instead of nuts, too - goes better with coffee.

Instead of grains (or nasty gluten free, coeliac safe substitutes) I eat potatoes and kumara as my main carb sources. On that note, I eat white rice instead of brown rice. Because... Really? White rice tastes better.
  • Phany04
    Phany04 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Instead of soda... Water
    Instead of regular pasta.... Whole wheat
    Instead of a big plate of white rice.... Only 1/3 or 1 cup of whole wheat rice
    Instead of juice..... Unsweetened tea
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Instead of pasta I eat spaghetti squash (can still add sauce/toppings as you like!)
    Instead of rice I eat cauliflower ('riced' in a food processor)