Instead of, I eat...

Options

Replies

• Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    Some awesome ideas here.

Instead of a Twix, 1 tablespoon Nutella.
    Good luck!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Instead of a mars bar, I eat steak.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular pie, I make protein pie. Instead of mint chocolate chip ice cream, I make mint chocolate chip spinach protein ice cream. instead of brownies I make.... Well, I haven't found a good substitution for brownies, (the protein ones don't compare), so I have brownies on special occasions.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Instead of sour cream, I use fat free Greek yogurt.
    Instead of sugar, I sweeten foods with protein powder (sounds weird, but works well with many things).
    Instead of oil, I use Pam in my pan when I am cooking.

I'm sure there's others, but my brain isn't bringing them into remembrance right now, lol.
  • Lucassvg
    Lucassvg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Instead of weightwatchers biscuits I eat a few cashew nuts. Curbs my cravings and the protein makes me feel fuller longer
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I cut soda back to the occasional treat, and I just don't enjoy coffee without cream and sugar, so same. BUT I still needed my caffeine, so I switched to the energy drink mixes. Mio is pretty good, the Walmart brand flavors are just as good. I work 3rd shift, so I don't do too well without my caffiene!
    Plus, I found that, as I drank more water, I craved soda less.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I want to do this...but every time I use my protein powder it's all clumpy and ugly in my coffee...any tips would be GREAT!

edited to fix my post because apparently I can't post without an error tonight......sighs
    If you take a nice amount of milk in your coffee, try mixing it cold with the protein powder.
  • wisteri
    wisteri Posts: 14
    Options
    Instead of regular pie, I make protein pie. Instead of mint chocolate chip ice cream, I make mint chocolate chip spinach protein ice cream. instead of brownies I make.... Well, I haven't found a good substitution for brownies, (the protein ones don't compare), so I have brownies on special occasions.

Can I have the ice cream recipe? I love the idea of spinach hidden in there.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. i've got like 5 pages of stuff. I've been making switches for 10 years.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Can I have the ice cream recipe? I love the idea of spinach hidden in there.

1 scoop of protein powder, (with vanilla the spinach will turn the shake green, with chocolate it will be greenish brown. I prefer vanilla for looks)

1/2 tsp peppermint extract
    1/4 cup milk
    2 to 3 cups of spinach, or as much as you want. (if you freeze it first, it will help thicken the shake)
    sweetener to taste.
    1 frozen banana
    1 tbsp dark chocolate chips. (optional)
    blend in a blender.
    I will either drink it as a thick shake, or freeze it in an ice cube tray. then I can pop out the cubes, and mix when I'm ready to eat it.

sometimes I'll top it with lite whipping cream, and chocolate syrup for a sundae.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    White or rose sauces: Greek yogurt stirred in (at the last minute, curdles if it cooks).

I did try to sub whole wheat pasta for white, but I learned they use insoluble fiber to make it 'healthy', couldn't deal.

Ice cream: vanilla greek yogurt & berries.

Brownies: I have tried to make substitutions, but none were great & I still ate too much. Found it safer to just buy a single serving and be done with it, if desperate, or have a different sweet thing like oatmeal and sliced apple, if not.

White bread: For day to day purposes, rye, after a detour through whole-wheat, whole grain, etc, etc. Still have a nice kaiser now and then, though.

Steak pan-fried in butter: grilled steak sometimes, but mostly it's still pan-fried in butter :/
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    [I want to do this...but every time I use my protein powder it's all clumpy and ugly in my coffee...any tips would be GREAT!

You may feel a bit silly doing this the first few times, but it works, plus it makes a nice froth on your coffee. Take a wisk hold it flat between your palms. Put it all the way into your cup of coffee and spin it back and forth. It should do the trik!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Instead of oil, I use chicken stock
    Instead of pop.... soda water
    Instead of candy... fruit
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    instead of a king size snicker or 2 i buy the minis and throw them in the freezer. I can eat the serving size one time a day and no more. them being frozen takes a little longer to eat and is cold so i get that ice cream like fulfulment as well. so instead of nearly 600 calories I eat 2 minis for about 160.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Instead of oil, I use chicken stock

Just did this last night - a great switch. I also use it in place of cream in a lot of sauces, sometimes with equal parts skim milk. Just needs a little thickening agent. You can make a great scampi or Alfredo, etc.

This one may seem counter-intuitive to the above, but with the exception of dairy - stopped buying a lot of "fat free" or "reduced fat" items. Often the regular versions have the same or similar calories, and less sugar/fillers.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great thread and really useful tips.

Instead of salad dressing, I sometimes just put a bit of balsamic vinegar (no oil), or quark. I have changed a lot of sauces, for salad, chips, meat or fish and substitute it by Quark 0% fat and high in protein. It works great.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Instead of rice/ pasta/ potatoes I eat roast veggies (pumpkin is my fave) or salad (dry slaw mixes are very filling)

Instead of oil I use stock/ water/ balsamic etc

Instead of meats I eat veg/ lentils/ tofu (sometimes - I'm not vegetarian)

Instead of overly sugary desserts, I eat fruit, natural yohurt and cottage cheese

Instead of gluten containing cereals, I eat homemade brown rice porridge from my slow cooker

Instead of butter I eat hummus/ dips spread on crackers and rice cakes
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Instead of the morning Iced Coffee or the late night munchies, i swap it for a fruit smoothie. Normally Banana, Mango, Strawberries and either Apple Juice or Guava juice.

Instead of meat (mainly lamb, i still eat chicken and fish) i swap it for a stacked Mushroom (capsicum, egg, little cheese, asparagus ect) or vegetable fritters. (Love the Zucchini ones)

Instead of putting sugar in my coffee, i swap it for none. :P
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Instead of butter and jam on toast, I'll have light cream cheese with fresh strawberries, (and maybe a little jam)
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    instead of mac n cheese I eat gluten free pasta with pesto sauce

instead of 3 cups of coffee I drink green tea

instead of a sandwhich from subway w/ chips I eat carrots/ or cucumber as a snack or a light whole grain vegetable sandwhich with avocado with nuts.

instead of a cheeseburger from burgerking I have a turkey burger w/ a bun and light mayo. very satisfying!