What all do you count as WATER?

Options
12346»

Replies

• bettacheckyoself
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic and thus should not be counted as water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please read the posts above that cite actual science disproving this myth.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I count water as water.
    All other drinks are counted as calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    For the millionth time....No.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

WATER is a diuretic, so I guess that shouldn't be counted as water, either...
  • photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    it's kind of interesting reading this all. I am a nurse. Fluid is fluid really. We give patients IV bags with dextrose, vitamins and medicine and that is considered hydration. I can't say it's not fluid, just because there are things added to it. IV bags with medicine is considered hydration. I think HYDRATION would be the key. We even have to count fluid in tube feeding and when we give people meds mixed in water. It's a fluid.

If I drink plain water vs water with crystal light in in, will there really be that big of a difference. I doubt it.

Caffeine, which is in coffee, is the diuretic. It doesn't make coffee an less of a fluid/water/hydration. The point is that caffeine causes you to PEE which makes you less HYDRATED. You want to stay hydrated so that is why some choose to not include that has their water intake.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    it's kind of interesting reading this all. I am a nurse. Fluid is fluid really. We give patients IV bags with dextrose, vitamins and medicine and that is considered hydration. I can't say it's not fluid, just because there are things added to it. IV bags with medicine is considered hydration. I think HYDRATION would be the key. We even have to count fluid in tube feeding and when we give people meds mixed in water. It's a fluid.

If I drink plain water vs water with crystal light in in, will there really be that big of a difference. I doubt it.

Caffeine, which is in coffee, is the diuretic. It doesn't make coffee an less of a fluid/water/hydration. The point is that caffeine causes you to PEE which makes you less HYDRATED. You want to stay hydrated so that is why some choose to not include that has their water intake.

Studies have been posted that show that the diuretic properties of caffeine are negligible. What does make you pee a lot is water.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have found no good evidence at all to suggest that adding anything to water stops it having the same benefits as water.
    You may still get some extra calories, stimulation or incredibly minor diuretic effects - but you'll have still had the benefit of a glass/mug of water.

I don't bother tracking water consumed because I'm confident I get enough or more than enough of it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I count all the tea I drink as water on here and add the milk in as one lot in my 'snacks'

I think I read an article in New Scientist years ago about how your body adapts to the caffiene levels in tea, but can't adapt to higher levels...ie pro-plus etc.
  • photognurse
    photognurse Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Exactly.
    Doesn't mean it's a diuretic. I just hate the label of diuretic diuretic .... diuretic.
    Try taking about 40mg of Lasix twice a day, (a loop diuretic)
    Coffee ain't got nothing on that little white pill.
  • bunnabear
    bunnabear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to strictly measure hydration or is your goal to increase water intake in the absence of additives, preservatives, and other "junk" found in other sources of liquid intake? Of course vegetables are up to 90% water and legumes are usually 75-80% when cooked, but that's not something you're going to measure. I choose to only count water, not because I'm misinformed about sources of hydration, but because it is a way for me to make sure I'm choosing a better source of hydration in terms of reducing artificial and/or high calorie additives. So the answer is, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish: staying hydrated, clean diet, reduce artificial additives and preservatives, etc.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I count water as water.
    All other drinks are counted as calories.

:yawn:

anything with water in it is water - k?
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I only count water as my water intake.
    I drink 100+ ounces in a day so I don't have a problem with it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i guess what it comes down to, is do you count all your liquids as "water" AND log them as well? because obviously that's the important part given the caloric intake of most of these other beverages we're talking about.

and yes, as long as you're peeing a pale yellow to clear, you're hydrated enough. that's a good point.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm confused. Is the question what is water or is the question what is hydrating? Because the answers are completely different
    Yes! As my previous post said, what you count depends on why you are counting.
    If you want to know how much water you drink, then count water. If you're trying to make sure you stay hydrated, you count other liquid as well. If you're trying to get in the habit of substituting low or no calorie drinks for more calorie dense drinks, then you would just count the low or no cal drinks.
    Don't know why the OP is counting.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Water is water.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    deleting duplicate
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do count my iced tea as water since I drink it plain (I think sweet tea is an abomination). I mean I fill up a pitcher with water and add the teabags for 3 mins... does the water disappear? :p To be fair the only other thing I drink is coke zero and I do not count that but then again I rarely log water intake at all on this site anyway since I do not feel I am lacking.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't count, but if I did, anything liquid. My stomach and small intestine can figure it out.

lol soda =/= water

Why lol out of interest? Are you saying that it does not hydrate you?

there are conflicting opinions on whether it hydrates you as well as water due to caffeine, sodium, carbonation, etc - but regardless, his claim was that ANYTHING liquid can be considered water. that's straight ridiculous.

so alcohol hydrates you now?

Even Beer is hydrating. High proof alcohol is the only beverage that isn't. Consider the many cultures predating today's society that lived on beer and wine because of a lack of safe drinking water without drying up and turning to dust.

*note- not ANYTHING liquid. Honey and maple syrup are not hydrating, and not beverages, before we wander down that ridiculous path.

This is a perfect response, as ale pretty much saved England during the dark ages.