What foods do you swap to save calories

Options
I regularly swap pasta for frozen veg and mash potato for mashed cauliflower. What substitutions do you make so you can eat a larger volume of food?

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If I get a snacky craving at night, I'll do popcorn instead of chips. I love Trader Joe's little 98% fat free bags, which are 130 cals each.
  • JanJan060
    JanJan060 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my new year new me . Things are going great. I try to stay away from empty calories ie. fruit drinks., I try to drink more water.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Fit and delicious tortillas (50 calories) for regular (100)
  • lisalu1202
    lisalu1202 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is my new year new me . Things are going great. I try to stay away from empty calories ie. fruit drinks., I try to drink more water.

Good luck!
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Instead of a heavier coffee drink in the afternoon (latte, mocha, etc) I'll drink black coffee with some sweetener or tea.
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    instead of 1 slice of normal bread for 100 cals. i swap it for hovis nimble bread which is 50 cals per slice...2 instead of 1! :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Anything cream based (sauces, recipes, etc.) that has whole milk, heavy cream, cream cheese.....I use fat free plain greek yogurt. Works in alfredo sauces, tuna salad, chicken salad, cajun-cream pasta sauce, buffalo chicken anything... I could go on forever.

Also- when I get a craving for pizza, I use a whole wheat pita (100 cals) reduced sugar sauce, fat free cheese, and load up on all the veggies I want (if I'm feeling frisky I'll throw on some canned shredded chicken and Frank's or some turkey pepperoni). I usually get a decent sized personal pizza for less then 150-200 cals.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Pasta is such an easy meal that we have it at my house at least once a week. I have shiritake noodles instead of the regular pasta that my husband and daughter eat.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Options 40 cal mint hot chocolate and a square of dark chilli chocolate instead of the full fat version and a few truffles. Excellent before bed!
  • reh1089
    reh1089 Posts: 21
    Options
    Anything cream based (sauces, recipes, etc.) that has whole milk, heavy cream, cream cheese.....I use fat free plain greek yogurt. Works in alfredo sauces, tuna salad, chicken salad, cajun-cream pasta sauce, buffalo chicken anything... I could go on forever.

Also- when I get a craving for pizza, I use a whole wheat pita (100 cals) reduced sugar sauce, fat free cheese, and load up on all the veggies I want (if I'm feeling frisky I'll throw on some canned shredded chicken and Frank's or some turkey pepperoni). I usually get a decent sized personal pizza for less then 150-200 cals.

this! greek yogurt is an awesome way to cut cals while adding in a ton of protein. you can even substitute greek yogurt for eggs/oil in cake mixes and such.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Great idea and I could not agree more. I just don't know about Greek Yo in my coffee ;-)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

this! greek yogurt is an awesome way to cut cals while adding in a ton of protein. you can even substitute greek yogurt for eggs/oil in cake mixes and such.

Ooo! You reminded me- you can also use no-sugar-added apple sauce in place of oils/butters in recipes such as cakes, brownies, cookies, etc
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Mustard instead of salad dressing (weird but it doesn't taste bad at all). or mustard instead of mayo on a sandwich.

Turn my sandwich into a salad by replacing the bread with spinach leaves.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nothing...if I want it I eat it and log it....then just cut back on everything else that day. Oh well haha.
  • lisalu1202
    lisalu1202 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Options 40 cal mint hot chocolate and a square of dark chilli chocolate instead of the full fat version and a few truffles. Excellent before bed!

Mmmmmm
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It isn't a substitution, I'll just take the amount of whatever food it is that I want to eat that fits my nutrient goals and I'll sautee a bunch of different vegetables that don't add many calories (onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, etc) and add them into the food to bulk it up if I am having an extra hungry day.
  • jibber_jammer
    Options
    Spaghetti Sqaush instead of pasta
  • bobbiparsons7
    Options
    Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream on my fajitas! Don't even notice the difference!!
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thinly sliced cabbage works in stir fries as a noodle substitute.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For most of my meals, I have to have something to bulk it up so I keep a ton of frozen veg in the freezer including green beans, spinach, collard and turnip greens, and Brussels Sprouts. I also keep some canned greens and cans of sauerkraut in the pantry. Finally, I buy a huge bag of prepped fresh broccoli florets once per week. I will typically fix a huge bowl or fill up at least half of my plate with these which helps keep me feeling full. I am generous with the hot sauce on my veggies too. Ideally, I would eat all fresh veg but that isn't realistic with the expense and prep time required.