Zero Calorie flavored water instead of juice/milk in smoothies
    Zero Calorie flavored water instead of diet colas
    diet colas instead of regular colas
    Vics half salt lite popcorn instead of chips
    ....more veggies
  • lisalu1202
    lisalu1202 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For most of my meals, I have to have something to bulk it up so I keep a ton of frozen veg in the freezer including green beans, spinach, collard and turnip greens, and Brussels Sprouts. I also keep some canned greens and cans of sauerkraut in the pantry. Finally, I buy a huge bag of prepped fresh broccoli florets once per week. I will typically fix a huge bowl or fill up at least half of my plate with these which helps keep me feeling full. I am generous with the hot sauce on my veggies too. Ideally, I would eat all fresh veg but that isn't realistic with the expense and prep time required.

I totally agree. I used to only buy fresh veg but too lazy to prep it now I eat so much of it. Frozen veg is an excellent convenience food.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have a completely different approach. I purposefully eat high fat, calorie dense (mostly) healthy food. But I definitely replace the grains with veggies, ALWAYS. I've noticed by eating nutrient dense foods, that I eat a LOT LESS without even trying. I'm eating more expensive food, but I am spending less of groceries. It's an interesting experiment.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a substitution, but if I am really on a bread kick, I'll make it by hand with all the inherent kneading that goes into it. That way there is the delay of it (and sometimes I don't even want it by the time it is done) and the activity of it. Same with Pizza, I'll often make my own dough.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a completely different approach. I purposefully eat high fat, calorie dense (mostly) healthy food. But I definitely replace the grains with veggies, ALWAYS. I've noticed by eating nutrient dense foods, that I eat a LOT LESS without even trying. I'm eating more expensive food, but I am spending less of groceries. It's an interesting experiment.

That makes sense. Fat does have a high satiety factor. I eat 2 tablespoons of almond butter the moment before I go to bed every night. If I don't, I will wake up so hungry in the middle of the night that I can't sleep.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I will always leave OFF any mayo on a sandwich to have a few more chips!

:bigsmile:
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Sensible Portions veggie straws.....130 calories for 38 straws. I dip them in Frank's Red Hot sauce. So yummy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Reduced fat dairy ...... 2% shredded cheese whenever possible. My rule of thumb ..... if they can take fat out ..... without adding something wierd ..... I'll go for it.

Add veggies whenever possible .... fruit salad with a dose of diced cucumber .... really ... cucumber has so little flavor you won't even notice it.

Chai tea with skim milk & honey .... instead of hot chocolate
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Thinly sliced cabbage works in stir fries as a noodle substitute.

Agreed, and mung beans too
  • avery_ed
    Options
    Snacking on celery instead of crackers or chips= slightly salty and crunchy.
  • kornmaiden
    Options
    I eat egg beaters instead of eggs. Really like the southwestern flavor.
  • ATester
    ATester Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Options 40 cal mint hot chocolate and a square of dark chilli chocolate instead of the full fat version and a few truffles. Excellent before bed!

Mmmmmm

I 2nd the Mmmmm. Where do you find that?
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My best substitution I've done recently is a grated zucchini pizza crust for normal crust. Saves like 200 some calories per slice, and amazingly yummy!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Sensible Portions veggie straws.....130 calories for 38 straws. I dip them in Frank's Red Hot sauce. So yummy.

My kids love those things! And they're getting Veggi servings! :)
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anything cream based (sauces, recipes, etc.) that has whole milk, heavy cream, cream cheese.....I use fat free plain greek yogurt. Works in alfredo sauces, tuna salad, chicken salad, cajun-cream pasta sauce, buffalo chicken anything... I could go on forever.

I never thought of using yogurt for tuna salad. Thanks for the idea, time to try it out :)
  • loudgls89
    loudgls89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually have a mug of Options Belgian Hot Chocolate for 40 calories instead of a bar of chocolate for 200+ calories. Always keeps the the cravings away!
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Mustard instead of Mayo to moisten a turkey sandwich.

I haven't started many swaps yet so thanks for making this post!
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    Anything cream based (sauces, recipes, etc.) that has whole milk, heavy cream, cream cheese.....I use fat free plain greek yogurt. Works in alfredo sauces, tuna salad, chicken salad, cajun-cream pasta sauce, buffalo chicken anything... I could go on forever.

I never thought of using yogurt for tuna salad. Thanks for the idea, time to try it out :)

whaaa? I must try
  • aimeeernest
    Options
    I've also tried to replace water for any drink whenever i can stand it. I used to NEVER drink straight water. Now I drink several glasses a day and my skin has cleared up too. I always knew it was the better option but it doesn't taste as refreshing when I was drinking my calories.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    popcorn for chips
    plain yogurt for ice cream