Worst "healthy" restaurant food

Options
124»

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    For the other Canadians out there, Booster Juice (or any smoothie store really) can be a terrible choice when you think you're "eating healthy". The High Impact Acai smoothie has 540.6 calories in a 24oz smoothie, and 12.9g of fat. The Canadian Colada weighs in at 532 calories and 9.1g of fat. The worst part is that because they're a liquid you don't really feel full with them at all and may use them to accompany a meal instead of replacing one! I used to think that they were a healthy "tie me over" treat between class and supper...definitely stopped doing that!

But then again as they are packed full of fruit they are definitely a healthier alternative than some! At least you're getting lots of vitamins and nutrients...
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    caesar salad! always ask for the dressing on the side or without bacon

This! I had to hit Costco at lunch one day and saw they had a chicken caesar salad at their lunch counter. I grabbed one and looked up the calories when I was done. 670 calories as is!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out very often, but the whacking great piece of battered cod and small chips I have when I do (although I leave a lot of the batter, I find it a bit cloying after a while) seems to weigh in at less calories than a lot of these 'healthy' options. SCORE!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothies. Unless you make them yourself at home or get one from the gym, they usually have more calories than what I eat in an entire day.
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Options
    I also avoid the Cheesecake Factory like the plague. They are one of the worst places for calories, among other ones.
  • folkoono
    folkoono Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The calories in Wagamama meals are insane.
  • mwalker73
    Options
    If you have one, try Noodles & Co. They post their calories and serving sizes right on the big board where you select your order. The sodium is higher than I'd like, but when you're splurging, you can still hit your cal goal for the day. I had Japanese Pan Noodles (small) at 320 calories and a small tossed green salad with Bals Vin at another 60 cal.

This is how places should market their food IMO.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just had a friend tell me they ate a salad for lunch that put them over their entire calorie allotment for the day and then I saw that Chili's new roasted corn guacamole appetizer is a whopping 1180 calories!:huh: It seems we are constantly being sabotaged by horrible bad-for-you food masquerading as "healthy" options on restaurant menus. So the question is:

What is the worst "healthy" item you have ordered at a restaurant?

Aren't appetizers meant to be shared? If the ingredients are anything like what's in the link, then it sounds *very* healthy to me:

http://restaurant.betterrecipes.com/chilis-fire-grilled-corn-guacamole.html

I have often ordered an appetizer instedad of an entree because of the smaller size and back then the thought that it sounded healthier. I can see someone getting drawn in.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I used to work for Chipotle, and holy COW people think they are eating healthy there. To begin with, EVERYTHING except lettuce on the menu is loaded with salt. And then people come in and order a
    tortilla (270 cals)
    extra white rice
    pinto beans with bacon
    extra meat- the leanest and highest quality meat is the steak, but lowest cal is pork
    with extra sour cream, extra cheese and corn.

Thousands of calories, and I would have to promote this as health food. People would ask "Chipotle is healthy, right?" and the most honest answer I could give was "Chipotle CAN be a healthier option, done right"

If you love Chipotle don't be discouraged though. Order a salad but skip the dressing. Get plain brown rice (it's possible), black beans, fajitas, and I like half steak/half guac (which they count as "meat" in the veggie option), plain tomatoes, a sprinkle of cheese. This is still high in sodium, but the best you could do there. They are set up to accommodate special dietary needs, but you may have to wait a few minutes if they are busy. And remember to tip the employees, especially if you have a complicated order, because I guarantee that all of them are underpaid for the work they do :)