40+ Club: Hop Into Spring With A Fit Bod

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

singfree, I'm happy to hear you are slowly feeling better. Thanks for reporting on your PT appointment. It does sound like a concussion. I've never had one, so I don't know how long they take to heal. I hope you start feeling better soon. Any concerns about flying with one? I hope not. I saw you were doing alot of driving in Germany. For me, that's the best way to see the country as I find the road system in Germany so easy to use. Just take care of yourself so you feel good for this trip. There will always be time to workout on the other side of your vacation.

TxMs, is your husband eating more because he is working out? I'm asking that because i'm curious about the source of his weight gain. My husband always eats more when he starts working out, and I have a hard time convincing him that he probably doesn't need to eat as much as he thinks he does because he's working out (he can eat a 1/2 can of nuts at times!)

I had a good weekend of workouts. I couldn't sleep on Saturday night, so I ended up getting up at 5:00am on Sunday to go for a run. I'm so happy I did because it was, by far, the best run I've had since I started running. I went for 7 miles, and it just felt terrific. I finally understood why people love running so much. Of course, I don't always want to get up at 5:00am on a weekend to duplicate that situation, so I'm hoping I can find the same feeling at another time of the day. After doing a leg workout when I got back home (the combination of the run and the leg workout did take its toll of me!), my husband and I went out to play golf. :laugh: Yes, it is funny because I really can't golf. But it was fun....and I'm trying to learn.

I'm starting my second week of this undulating strength rotation, so I moved from endurance based strength training last week to strength building (aka heavy weights) this week. I loved the change. It felt really good on my body. I think I'm going to enjoy this undulating rotation because of these constant changes. I also did an Insanity workout today, which probably was a bit much after yesterday's run/leg workout. But I got through it!

I'm still eating clean and feeling really good. Of course, ask me tomorrow how I'm feeling as I get ready to host 30 people tomorrow night. Yikes. :ohwell: Of course, then I'm turning around and having 15 for dinner on Saturday. What was I thinking? :huh:

Hope you are all doing well and enjoyed a great weekend.
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been actively logging on MFP for just over a week now and I love it - is it possible that can you actually be addicted to this site?

Anyway, I've put my toe into a couple of other boards, and while really supportive, they weren't an exact match for me - but I think this one will be more suited to me. I normally weigh in on Monday mornings and am fairly excited about it, but if I check in daily, even though it helps me keep focus during the week, I become too governed by the scale and ride the emotional ups and downs with the numbers - gotta hate that!

My downfall is usually the weekend when I have time out from exercise since I give it a good effort through the week, and so a Friday check-in will be good to help keep me focused for the weekend ready for my check-in on Mondays - you guys seem to be so supportive and interactive with each other and that's great.

So here I am, and here's me so far:

1. Start weight of 88kg on May 10th, 2010 (been that weight for 22 years apart from having babies and several long term illnesses) and 43% Body Fat.

2. Goal weight of 65kg and 20%BF (see how I feel when I get there if I need to lose more or not - haven't been that weight as an adult, so I'm not sure what that looks or feels like for me)

3. As of this morning's check-in, current weight is 87.3kg and 41.3%

4. Feels like there is a runner somewhere inside me, just have to find her and so I'm doing 30 minutes of C25K on Monday, Wednesday & Friday mornings - I did Week1 last week but didn't complete all the intervals and had to even completely walk some of them.

Have decided not to move to Week 2 until I can run all intervals of at least 2 out of 3 days. Today was Take 2 on Week 1 and I got all the runs in, non-stop, and went a little farther than I did on day 1 of last week (comparing apples to apples).

Also noticed that in this comparison my heart rate was 6% lower than it was last week as well, and so I figure I must be fitter somehow too. And I wasn't sore either. All of these things are pretty big for me - and I'll take as many positives as I can get.

5. My brother & I go into our gym for 15 minutes on Tuesday mornings to work on Arms and Thursday mornings to work on Legs, followed both days by 40 minutes of Pilates (Abs & Arms / Abs & Legs) just to make sure I got them all working properly - will be getting Zumba DVDs soon hopefully to mix this up a bit - it looks like fun.

6. I really love to swim, so starting tomorrow I will be using the indoor heated 12.5mtr lap pool where I live for 30 minutes Monday-Friday in the middle of the day when it's quieter - I work for myself from home and I feel very lucky to be able to slot this in.

I do 2 laps of each - Freestyle, Breaststroke, Backstroke, L&R Sidestroke with what I call vertical swimming (walking in water as fast as I can without slipping all over the place, and moving my arms as if I am swimming freestyle - looks a bit dorky, but helps my heart rate normalise and still keeps the muscles moving!)

7. I have also organised to exercise either using the equipment in the park or walking on the beach with my family and dogs each afternoon at 5pm cause my 14 yo daughter wants help to tone herself up again (except Tuesday when I go to a drumming class, and weather permitting) - it's a more relaxed session for me too, but we did our 1st session today and we were pleased with the results. ( I love the extra 200 or so calories off too).

8. I have the weekends off so that I can sleep in and just relax - but Sunday usually involves some sort of family activity like bike riding, roller-blading, beach walking, body-boarding or tennis etc.

9. I am all but vegan - not by choice. I won't bore you with the details, but obviously this weighs very heavily in my approach to weight loss, health and fitness.

10. I have had some pretty serious health concerns, but management makes all the difference and certain things that I can't quite manage adequately require me to take all of this a bit more seriously, make a stronger commitment, and be held accountable - this is why MFP works so well for me.

So, even if I just sound it out there and get no response, it is still me reporting in and is enough for all intents and purposes, but obviously, support coming back is so much better. And so while I am on this leg of my journey, I wish to support you guys on your journey too - if there is anything you need from me, please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my very best to help. And if there is anything glaringly obvious where you can see I need help, then by all means let me know - but please be gentle - even though I have open ears, I'm such a sook and bruise far too easily even though I try hard not to.

Well that's me for now - I've probably forgotten to put in heaps of all types of weird and wonderful notes, but I guess they really don't matter - the main thing is that I'm here and I've put the major things out there.

I look forward to knowing more of you all, but right now I've gotta get some shut eye so I can get into the gym in the morning.

Touch base with you all tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

Joy.

PS - It may take me some time to get into the flow of using this board and getting to know who you all are, so please bear with me and if you don't see or hear from me, please send me a PM so that I know to get my A into G and check-in (although the addiction to this site should fix that problem before it starts :0)

Thanks in advance for your support.

Ciao.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Good Morning All!

Sing: I'm glad you are on the mend!

Stiring: Way to go on the 7-mile run! I can't even remember my name that early in the morning. Have fun at your parties. If you have fun, your guests will too.

Joy: Welcome, I think you will fit right in with this wonderful group. Though, with all your different activites, I don't know how you have find time to sign into MFP. Yes it is addictive, though.
  • danizell
    danizell Posts: 9
    Options
    Good Afternoon everyone and happy Monday! Hope everyone had a great weekend. I am starting this week on a positive note and planning ahead. I want to see if I can keep every day under 1200 calories and eat as perfect as possible! Usually I cave in by mid-week but I want to try and get past Wednesday. Feeling great and looking forward to a mind clearing run tomorrow morning!!! Have a fabulous afternoon and thanks for all the welcomes!:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Yippee!!!!!!!

After 3 long weeks, I am finally cleared to ease back into strength training. My Dr. repeated GRADUALLY....ok, I get it....

Sooooooo....today I will do some light dumbbell and kettlebell work for about 15 minutes and nothing too heavy. I will also take a 2-3 mile walk.

stiring, no I'm not concerned about flying with a concussion, because cabin pressure does not usually afftect me...however I just won't know until I'm up there. As far as driving goes, my preference is to take the train, but there are some things that are more convenient by car. Also, the legal limit is very low over there, so I need to take it easy on the Bier. I'm not much of a daytime drinker, because I get tired quickly. So, we usually have a drink or 2 after we are finished driving for the day.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Where is everyone? Please don't abandon us!!! We need all of our great friends here!!!

I woke up this morning and I just now realized that I am not dizzy any longer!!! I hope it stays like that. I was a bit tired after work so I took a 2 mile walk last evening. No strength training yet, maybe tonight.

I need to concentrate on my diet this last week. It's going to be tough, because we are going to the beautiful Hotel Hershey Resort on Friday night. Our friends gave my wife this gift for her 60th birthday. Overnight stay, dinner, jazz on the veranda, a great breakfast in the "circular" dining room. The story goes that Milton Hershey did not want to slight anyone by putting them in the corner, so he built a grand circular dining room! On Saturday we will tour the Hershey Gardens and museum. Hershey Park is out. I don't want to upset my balance on those crazy rides!

So much to do before leaving next week. I need to notify all of my banks and CC companies of our trip so the fraud dept. doesn't shut our cards down. We get all of our money via the ATM machine. I always have backup plans. We have 3 checking accounts and each has 2 atm cards. So, if one card does not work, we are not lost. I've investigated the fees associated with
    ATMs. Bank of America has a reciprocal agreement with Deutsche Bank in Germany to waive all fees at their ATMs. My local bank has no fees, but charges only $1 per transaction. If there are more fees, the bank pays them. Really good deal! The worst is Sovereign Bank. They charge $6.00 PLUS 3%!!!!! So, if I withdraw $500 (nearly 400 Euros), they charge me $21 for one transaction!!!! Needless to say, that is my last resort card.

Have a great day!
  • pepper06
    pepper06 Posts: 89
    Options
    HELLO,
    ALF- not military. We have booked the Coronado except for 2 nights where we will stay outside the park. Use to live in FL, and have been there WELL over 50x. We have not gone to Animal Kingdom, so looking forward to that. LOVE Disney. We went to Disneyland once too.

JoyElizabeth-Welcome.....wow......I think you exercise more than anyone here! You just seem to breath exercise! You can slow down-your hair looks beautiful is it naturally curly?

Danizell-I think we are going for the same weight range! Remember to watch those carbs.

ttyl.....rain today.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Sing: Not to worry, we are still here! I am so glad to hear you are not dizzy today. Its cool you are having a pre-vacation at the Hershey Hotel. I stayed at the Hershey Lodge once, not nearly as grand. But we got free chocolate bars at check in. We went and checked out the gardens of the hotel while we were there. My Mom said after she wished we had splurged on the hotel.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! All is great at my end. I continue to eat well, exercise and teaching Zumba!!! My classes are doing very well. I am very excited that on Thu I am going to SC. My younger sister is getting married on Saturday. My parents are already there. I cant wait because I am surprising everyone, except my niece who is picking me up at the airport!!! They think I cannot go because of the expenses going to my nephew's wedding in CA 3 wks ago and home repairs. :laugh: :laugh: I cant wait to see my nieces and nephews and of course my parents again!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Sing, glad you are feeling better!!!! Just take it easy. I know you are looking forward to your European Adventure again!!! My older sister is going in June for 3 wks with her boyfriend. They are going to a few countries. And my younger sister will be honeymooning in Europe as well around the same time. Lucky girls!!! :laugh: Well, I had my share of Europe for 6 yrs so it is now their turn. :laugh:

Joy, welcome to this thread. This is a wonderful group. I see that you have a very well thought out plan. Keep up the good work. I know you will enjoy Zumba. I am a Zumba Instructor. :drinker: :drinker:

Danizell, are you exercising? I think you said you were. Are you adding your exercise calories? You dont want to eat less that 1200 cals and I would suggest you eat more than that on days that you exercise. :flowerforyou:

Have a great day everyone!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Hello all.......I'm still around.........just absolutely swamped at work!!:ohwell: :ohwell:

Lost the #'s I gained when the hubby got home, so now it's back to maintaining weight, losing the darn flab around the belly and dropping the body fat percentages as goals. I can live with weighing 125 - I feel pretty good at this weight AND it's fairly easy to maintain; at least it has been for the last month!!!

Sing...........so glad to hear you're doing better!!! I hope you have a wonderful time in Deutschland........I miss it so much!!!

Everyone else.............hope you're doing OK! I'll try to get back in later this week and catch up on the posts. I'm supporting two major position searches again, so the next month is going to be crazy for me:grumble: :grumble: At least I get to look forward to being gone from work June 7-11! I have 2 nephews graduating from high school in MN; one on June 6 and the other June 11. So........talked the hubby into pulling the Harley to MN and we'll have fun in between graduations and family obligations! Going to see our best man and his wife - I'm so excited!! Haven't seen them in almost 10 years...........where the heck does the time go??

Back to the salt mines................:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

I am thrilled beyond words to be finally putting this nasty episode behind me. I feel about 80% back to normal right now and the dizziness is all but gone (not totally). I am looking forward to an easy workout at the gym today. I am going to eat something and drink plenty of water before I go. I'm the type that goes overboard with exercise and I think that my body gave me a wake up call. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize these next few weeks, especially when I need to drive in Europe.

My eating plan of attack is simple: With the exception of the Hotel Hershey overnight, I am going to monitor all of my nutrition and keep it on the lower side, carb-wise. I don't mean Atkins, just lower carbs in general and high GI carbs in particular. I can lose a little bit around the waist and also lose some of the bloating associated with too many junk carbs. I just know that when we leave for the airport next Thursday, I will be in full vacation mode, which means forget about diets. The thing I worry about most is airport food. I vote to eat something big and healthy BEFORE going to the airport. After all, Lufthansa is providing dinner, drinks and breakfast for us. Why should I stuff my face with Cinnabons before boarding?

Alf, you are a traveler!!! My best wishes to the happy couple! I am so glad for all of your success with Zumba. I'm very proud to call you my dear friend.

Stiring, I am always happy to see your postings each day. Thank you for thinking of me during my injury.

MK, has it sunk in yet that you have your guy around the house? I'm glad these 6 months went fairly quickly!

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    singfree, I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better! :drinker: Sounds like you have a good plan in place to get ready for your trip. Just keep taking it a little easy, and I'm sure you'll heal up very nicely. I agree about airport food, but I find that when I'm taking long flights like you are going to be taking, that I am better off eating right before I get on the plane because if I eat at home, I'm usually hungry when I get on the plane (because of the length of the trip to the airport, going through security, etc). I actually think there are healthier options in the airport than there are on airplanes because you have a choice in an airport. But, as you know, Lufthansa is a good airline so, hopefully, the food will be pretty decent. I don't remember what I got served when I last flew on Lufthansa (back in 2006)....I just remember that the seats were some of the most comfortable I've ever been in on a plane. And there is a Hotel Hershey out there that I've never heard of?????? Oh, goodness....this would be me there :love: What a great way to celebrate your wife's birthday!

mk, good job on losing that weight! Your trip to Minnesota sounds fun. Must feel so wonderful to have the family back together.

alf, enjoy your trip!

So I survived having 32 people over last night. :noway: It actually went very well. People loved all of the food and seemed to have a great time. I was happy. I've got 17 coming to dinner on Saturday, so the rest of my week is going to be busy without a doubt. But I'm still getting in my workouts and keeping my eating under control. I was pretty tired this morning after last night's festivities but, aside from that, I have felt surprisingly energetic lately. I'm thinking that has alot to do with keeping my processed carb intake under better control (which has me eating more protein).

Hope you all have a great day!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello my dear friends!!! I am so excited about my trip tomorrow. I cant wait to see my parents and see everyone's reaction when they see me. This is not the first time I surprise family like that, I do enjoy it!!! :wink: I had 41 people in my Zumba class last night!!!!!!! Biggest class so far! And the group is growing at the other location, I had 15 the other day. And I am loving the fact that a young lady who is physically disabled is coming to my class in her wheelchair and she is loving it!!!! I LOVE teaching Zumba!!!!

Stiring, you are quite a hostess!!!! What did you serve them? I cannot imagine cooking for 30 people!!!!

Sing, thank you for your kind words. You are so sweet. Cinnabons?? Mmmmm!!!! :laugh: Airport food??? So tempting...when we were returning from CA and were at the Houston airport we saw this place that sells chocolates and candy/chocolate/caramel apples. When we were about to buy one to share the power went out!!!! I am still craving it so I might get one on my way back from SC on Monday and bring one for my daughter. :noway: :laugh: Happy Birthday to your wife!!!

MK, good to hear from you.

Well, leaving soon to work for a few hours and then run some errands before my trip. I also teach tonight. My flight leaves at 7:25am so I have to get up early. My husband is dropping me off and then off to his work. I might be able to check in with you guys during my trip but if I don't you know why...

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Stiring, the Hotel Hershey is one of the grand hotels in the US. Perched on a hill overlooking the town of Hershey, it is a magnificent place. Super elegant (what's a poor wretch like me doing in a place like that??). For one day we get to see how the "other half" lives. Check it out at www.the hotelhershey.com........
  • singfree
    Options
    Stiring, the Hotel Hershey is one of the grand hotels in the US. Perched on a hill overlooking the town of Hershey, it is a magnificent place. Super elegant (what's a poor wretch like me doing in a place like that??). For one day we get to see how the "other half" lives. Check it out at www.thehotelhershey.com........
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    JoyElizabeth... Sounds like you've got a pretty aggressive exercise plan there. Its amazing how quickly you start to see results in your endurance isn't it...

Alf... Have a terrific time with your family!

Sing... Pretty quick til the vacation. I would love to sneak into your bag and go. It sounds like an amazing place to visit.

Stiring... Is there an occasion going on??? Why so many big dinner parties? Sounds like fun to me, I love having people over. Just HATE the clean up.

As for me I have been busy at my mothers house doing more yard work and clearing stuff off her deck. She has stuff EVERYWHERE!!! (hoarder) We turned the downstairs into a studio so we are going to try to rent it out to make up for the payments lost sense my mom filed bankruptcy and cant afford the full rent. I cant keep affording to pay for everyone else to live and unfortunately thats the way it seems to be right now. So wish me luck that it gets rented out quickly.

We also went hiking the other day looking for old mines in our area. Took some dirt just to see if we found any gold just for fun. I doubt it but wouldn't that be fun if we did find a little.

Next week we are planing on going to Yosemite to hike to a place called -The little grand canyon- I think thats the name. Never been there before so it will be fun.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just found this thread and thought you all seemed a good match with me. I just turned 41. Live in Vermont. I quit my job a little while back to stay home w/my preschooler. My first summer was a little tough. I felt I had no time to myself at all, and ended up gaining some weight. I was so bummed, Along with turning 40 a few months prior, I was just feeling down and kind of old (which I don't think we are!).

A friend told me about this site and I joined last August. Since then I lost the weight I wanted and then some, and feel great. Now I'm kind of deciding if I want to lose a few more pounds, and then of course maintain the weight and remain motivated as I do not want to gain even a pound back! I didn't really use the community until recently but almost feel like I need the motivation more now.

Anyway, look forward to keeping up with everyone here!
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Cannot catch up with everyone right now. Sing: glad you are feeling better! Alf: have a wonderful time. Everyone: keep up the good work.

Busy/sad several days. Our 17 year old pom/dauchshund dog had been slowing down for awhile. Sunday night she had seizures off and on all night long. I stayed up with her. By morning she was neurologically impared so we had to take her to the vet and put her to sleep. She was a member of the family for a long time. We have lost both our dogs in the last 12 months. We still have our son's cat while he is in graduate school in San francisco. We knew our dog did not have much time left but it is still sad. I was worried about leaving her with a sitter when we go out of town, so I don't have that worry any more.

I don't think we will get another dog any time soon. We are traveling way too much over the next several months. We leave for Mississippi this weekend. I am going back to Utah for a neice's wedding in June. We are going to London in August after our daughter finishes her summer class in Oxford and then we are going to Egg Harbor Wisconsin in September for a cousin's wedding. Not the time to be breaking in a new dog.

On a happier note, family in Mississippi is getting excited about our visit this week. We are getting the plans for the trip to London firmed up. I finally got my passport application submitted today.

On Saturday, I was able to find a pair of "creek runner" aqua shoes at the sporting goods store. There are built like a running shoe but with mesh sides, waterproof material and drain holes in the bottom. They will be great for river aerobics this summer. I can't wait!

Take care all! TxMs
  • toccoafan
    toccoafan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you find the new topic?

Greetings all!

This topic is for women and men 40 years and older who want to get in shape and stay that way!

The club rules are simple: Check in and post often. Friday is check in day where you post your progress.

Join us, won't you? We are here to encourage you and help you meet your goals!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    alf, sounds like you are doing such an excellent job with Zumba!! How exciting. And I loved that you shared the detail about the young lady who is physically disabled. That's some perspective there! Enjoy your trip.:drinker:

singfree, thanks for the link to The Hotel Hershey. Boy, that looks like a stunning place. I'm going to tuck that away in my brain as a possible travel destination once we get back to the US. Does you wife know how lucky she is? I hope so. Not only are you going to Europe with her in a little more than a week, but you are celebrating her birthday. My husband boldly declared last weekend that he has decided not to do anything for my birthday this year (which is this coming Sunday)--including anything like making me a meal or even taking me out for a meal--since we are going to China over Memorial Day. :grumble: I was a tad upset by this declaration because I really could use a little break from the kitchen after all of the guests this week, but what's a girl to do? So I think it is wonderful that you are celebrating with your wife in such style! :flowerforyou:

TxMs, I'm so sorry to hear about your pup! :cry: You've had such a tough few years, and I so admire you for your very positive attitude. You amaze me. I hope you have a good time in Mississippi. I bet you are getting excited about England too!!

tron, I think I remember reading something about a canyon in Yosemite when we were there last year. If you get a chance to do the hike, please tell us about it. I really enjoyed hiking in Yosemite and hope to get back there someday to do some more. I hope you get a renter fast too! And, no, nothing special is going on that is causing all of these gatherings at my house. The one of Tuesday was for a spouses organization I belong to on base and was a scheduled annual event. And the one this coming Saturday is for a bunch of my husband's co-workers that we have been trying to schedule since Christmas but this is the first opportunity we've been able to do it given my husband's work/travel schedule. So....just how timing is working out right now.

kadetr, welcome! :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your weight loss. If you are looking for a place for motivation from others, I think you have found it. I have been attempting to maintain for about a year now, and I know that belonging to this thread keeps me MUCH more accountable than I otherwise would have been if left on my own. So please feel free to jump right in and share how you are doing.

I did a more relaxing workout today--a steady state step cardio followed by YogaX. I'm trying to mix up the intensities of my workouts right now because I really think I overdid the intensity the last time I did STS and my results weren't what I was hoping for. This is the second week in a row I've done YogaX, and it felt better this week. I'm trying to do more stretching because I was getting so tight, and it really is working. I'm hoping in a couple of more weeks, I'll be back to the flexibility I was at last year. So I'm as fit as I was, I'm hoping to be as flexible as I was....but I'm certainly not back to the weight I was (even though I'm not weighing myself right now). :frown: One thing I'm noticing, though, is with this more balanced approach to my fitness regime AND my diet, I really seem to have cut down on the cravings that were controlling me earlier this year. So I'm hoping I can again lose some of these pounds I gained and get back down to where I was (or close to it). I'm still under my goal weight, though, so it isn't TOO bad. I just feel....bigger. :embarassed:

I hope everybody has a great day!