Prerequisites for success on Insanity

Options
13»

Replies

• hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I jumped right into Insanity. No heart monitor, no fit test, no nothing, and I don't know your health situation so I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone but I'll share my experience. All I did was tried to make it through each DVD, no matter how sloppy. I took a bunch of breaks and made sure to PAUSE until I was ready to continue again. Side-aches were hell. Don't expect to go at the same pace as them, just stay busy doing the movements at your own speed instead. Stay sweating. I use to time how long I could keep going without taking my first break and increase it each time. There were some movements that I modified or substituted with others. To me finishing the disc in one session was important, no matter how many breaks I took. I also kept doing plyo cardio circuit, cardio power & res, and cardio recovery in rotation for almost 2 months instead of following their calendar.

I'll never forget how I felt after doing Insanity for the first time. I was like WHAT, that was a WARMUP!?! What did I get myself into
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i never hit the pause button. Seemed unnatural. Everybody in the videos taking breaks and the workout continues. if you stop for like 2 minutes you might was well end the work out IMO. if your only stoping for like 10 seconds why bother?

I took 3 or four breaks a set sometimes. thats what you are supposed to do by the way. your going to get a much higher heart rate sprinting till your exhausted, breaking and sprinting again then you would jogging non stop for the same amount of time.
  • jaurora2
    jaurora2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'll never forget how I felt after doing Insanity for the first time. I was like WHAT, that was a WARMUP!?! What did I get myself into

^that was my exact reaction my first time lol. Shaun T is no joker about warm ups
  • zena92
    zena92 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i never hit the pause button. Seemed unnatural. Everybody in the videos taking breaks and the workout continues. if you stop for like 2 minutes you might was well end the work out IMO. if your only stoping for like 10 seconds why bother?

I took 3 or four breaks a set sometimes. thats what you are supposed to do by the way. your going to get a much higher heart rate sprinting till your exhausted, breaking and sprinting again then you would jogging non stop for the same amount of time.

this make me feel better about stopping during sets...im on week 3 and everytime i stop i feel really guilty like im being lazy or something...i stop for about 10-20 seconds every 2-3 sets...is that alot?? oops! :(
  • zena92
    Options

^that was my exact reaction my first time lol. Shaun T is no joker about warm ups

THIS IS EXACT WHAT I SAID...im on week 3 and i still cant believe he called that a warmup haha!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

this make me feel better about stopping during sets...im on week 3 and everytime i stop i feel really guilty like im being lazy or something...i stop for about 10-20 seconds every 2-3 sets...is that alot?? oops! :(

sounds like your hanging in thier like a champ to me. Its nice to have a heart rate monitor. that way if you feel like stopping and you look down and see your bpms are way low its motivation to go a little longer, or a little harder.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I found that my tolerance for it was MUCH higher after i started running on the treadmill. I quite after a week or two last year, and started running in the second half of the year to now.. i am on day 5 and I really have no desire to quit....
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    and as for breaks, i modify as much as i can first, and if i have to, i stop for a few seconds. I sure as heck don't try to keep up.

not yet anyway :)
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    recommend you just follow the nutrition plan rather then whatever mfp tells you to eat.

oh and a recovery drink is also a good idea. They can be expensive tho. I just copied the ingredients in the BeachBody drink and put them together in the propper proptions. Its just whey protien, dextrose and maltodextrin mainly. I bought a 50lbs bag each of malto and dextrose from a baking supply website. add that to the whey i already get. I save tons of money. its a pretty big hassle in the beginng though, transferring the sugar into usable containers is a *****, and you have to weight every thing (i eventually cut my whey scoops to get me the right amount of each substance).

A good post exercise drink thats cheap is low fat chocolate milk. Its what they used in at least one study proving that at least a 3:1 carb to protien ratio is beneficial post exercise. Or you could make these 3 ingredient deliectious pancakes that also have a 3:1 carb to protein ratio:
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/38657925508

Good to know thank you for the info! I ordered their drinks with the videos as well but I'll be sure to get some recipes to make my own. I am a beginner with stuff but I am hoping to get some results with it and become more fit. Do you suggest getting a HRM?
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I've never paused before either but if you need to pause to finish, pause that shiz.

Like I said before, it's humbling -- some days more than others. Today (remember, it's my last week of the program and I've already completed it once) I did max cardio conditioning and around the 18 minute mark I thought "I'm going to have to straight up turn this shi/t off b/c there's no way I can finish." Still, STILL I have these thoughts. I didn't stop and I damn sure didn't rest that long because I'm scared I'll miss a whole rotation.

There are just some exercises I just CAN'T imagine doing without stopping. Power jumps for 45 seconds after the END of a circuit (this is in max plyo for anyone that hasn't gotten there yet)? It takes all I have to get like 8 in a row before collapsing in a fetal position begging for my mom. Diamond jumps for a WHOLE MINUTE in max conditioning? Maybe, MAYBE if you're doing the super slow but even then I have to walk it out for a good 8 seconds before coming back to it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Good to know thank you for the info! I ordered their drinks with the videos as well but I'll be sure to get some recipes to make my own. I am a beginner with stuff but I am hoping to get some results with it and become more fit. Do you suggest getting a HRM?

I do. He wants you to use it for safety, and from posts i've seen on teambeachbody.com, some people do routinely go over thier 'Max' heart rate numbers for thier age... so there is that to think about. I never really came that close to me max rate, so i really ended up using it to make sure i was working hard enough. I set it up to track how long i stayed in my 'zone' which i had set at anything over 80% of my max rate (156 for me). I tracked a bunch of other things but that was my favorite messure of how hard i worked. Some days i could get as much as 20 min or more, somedays as little as 2 min or less.

Its a less subjective way of determining how hard you are working. I wouldn't hang my hat on the calories burned though, thats far more accurate for jogging or some activity where you are always doing the same thing and not stopping.

I'm also convinced that even the best HRMs are going to read incorrectly from time to time. the pads have to be wet (you can even buy a grease for this) and in the right spot. if these conditions are different it may read different.

IDK, i don't really trust it, but in the end its a much better way of determining how hard you are working compared to just how hard you THINK you are working.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I've never paused before either but if you need to pause to finish, pause that shiz.

Like I said before, it's humbling -- some days more than others. Today (remember, it's my last week of the program and I've already completed it once) I did max cardio conditioning and around the 18 minute mark I thought "I'm going to have to straight up turn this shi/t off b/c there's no way I can finish." Still, STILL I have these thoughts. I didn't stop and I damn sure didn't rest that long because I'm scared I'll miss a whole rotation.

There are just some exercises I just CAN'T imagine doing without stopping. Power jumps for 45 seconds after the END of a circuit (this is in max plyo for anyone that hasn't gotten there yet)? It takes all I have to get like 8 in a row before collapsing in a fetal position begging for my mom. Diamond jumps for a WHOLE MINUTE in max conditioning? Maybe, MAYBE if you're doing the super slow but even then I have to walk it out for a good 8 seconds before coming back to it.

hated power jumps in the begining. that and frog jumps. also pedal in max interval circuit. I really focused on the ones i hated, and by the third time through they were the ones i could power through the best almost lol.

you should try aslyum. One thing i really liked about insanity... it really reminded me of practice for football or swimming (shawn really reminds me of my swim coach). Asylum does an even better job of that. The workouts are shorter, they are more fun because you have some equipment to play with, and all the moves require more coordination. I ditched the heart rate monitor for asylum because i was more limited by coordination then stamina (although that was definetly tested). Like i could move faster but ran the risk of falling on my face lol. made me appreciate jump rope work. If you buy the program from beach body it comes with a jump rope and the agility ladder. You should get a chin up bar and dumbells as well, but you can get away with just buying resistance bands and still do everything in the program.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    None what so ever , Just come with a goal to finish , And KICK SOME *kitten* !

Press play daily and get it done !
    Go at your own pace ( never pause the video)
    Eat right
    sleep right
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

hated power jumps in the begining. that and frog jumps. also pedal in max interval circuit. I really focused on the ones i hated, and by the third time through they were the ones i could power through the best almost lol.

you should try aslyum. One thing i really liked about insanity... it really reminded me of practice for football or swimming (shawn really reminds me of my swim coach). Asylum does an even better job of that. The workouts are shorter, they are more fun because you have some equipment to play with, and all the moves require more coordination. I ditched the heart rate monitor for asylum because i was more limited by coordination then stamina (although that was definetly tested). Like i could move faster but ran the risk of falling on my face lol. made me appreciate jump rope work. If you buy the program from beach body it comes with a jump rope and the agility ladder. You should get a chin up bar and dumbells as well, but you can get away with just buying resistance bands and still do everything in the program.

I'm tossing it around for next fall BUT I only workout at lunch and am not sure about having the equimpent. I mean, I threaten everyone within an inch of their life not to come in the (windowless -- thank you Jesus) conference room while I'm doing Insanity because it would be a youtube sensation in no time. I know I look like a COMPLETE idiot. So I don't know how I'd be able to do the pull up thing.

Oh and the pedal. Gawd I hate the pedal. BUT, I can do it without stopping MAINLY because it's the first exercise after stretching and first in the circuit.
  • zena92
    Options

i hope this isnt too much off topic but can i ask how much you lost doing the first round of insanity?

and others that have done this programme..
  • allysonvb
    allysonvb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm currently building up my running distance and will do some of the 30DS. I'm hoping to go INSANE February 1, and start boot camp here in march.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did it, and the best advice I can give is to do it with someone else who will keep you motivated to keep going!!

I completed insanity with an old roommate, and believe me, I would not have finished if he hadn't been yelling at me every morning at 5:30am to get out of bed! haha
  • Laner25
    Laner25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did it the first time through and laid on the floor in a pool of sweat, but boy did I feel good. The main thing for me is to a) know it is tough b) I gave myself little rewards for each wk I finished c) go at your own pace, but push yourself, and not feel bad if you don't keep up

Do the fit test first, note where you started and you will see improvement the next time you test. The nice thing is, there are people in the videos struggling right along with you. Good luck!
  • wonderwoman1974
    wonderwoman1974 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 Day Shred right now to get in better shape so i can start Insanity. Maybe try it out? :)

I am doing the same thing...do you think it will really get us ready??? Hoping!!

I sure hope so!!! Lol i'm almost done with week 1, and my endurance is much better....so... here's to hoping :) lol

That's a really great idea. I might have to try it. I didn't make it through the first round of Insanity due to a slight stress fracture in my leg.....I'm sure due to all the jumping! I got pretty intimidated after that. 30DS might be a great way to help me build up to that and get a few pounds off before attempting again.

I am on day 19 of 30 DS and have already dropped 2 dress sizes and 6 lbs. My endurance is getting better. I don't know if I am INSANITY ready yet...but it has definitely made a difference so far :)