All Carb Diet - New Research!

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
I was reading Ladies Home Journal[1] as I do and I heard about a new diet I want to try.

It's called the all-carb diet. Most of my favorite foods are carb-rich like cake and donuts. I love pasta too and bread and pastries. I really think this could work, and it makes sense because of the way Atkins and stuff works by eliminating macronutrients.

Since muscle weighs more than fat it seems like an easy way to shed a LOT of weight very fast while still keeping all systems online.

It is totally supported by recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [2], which indicates there can be a LOT of beneficial effects! Other published studies indicate that it could reduce breast cancer risk [3], and combined with dietary fat restriction, can help decrease weight significantly! [4]

[1] http://www.lhj.com/health/news/all-carb-diet/
[2] http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/29/8/895.short
[3] http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/89/7/488.short
[4] http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/4/1577.short

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    All carb? Or high carb?
    ETA: trolled
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    All carb? Or high carb?
    Do you not think you would need the RDA of protein?

Well the first journal I cited was pretty unambiguous in the title that it was "all carbohydrate", although it did say the subject drank milk, and I know that most pastries and such have some measure of dairy, eggs, etc. I don't know what sort of peer review process that journal uses.

There's probably trace amounts of protein and they must not sabotage all the good this diet does. I mean the way I see it, given the choice between a cruller or bear-claw and a jelly-filled, you'll be much better off with the jelly-filled as it's probably going to have a LOT less protein.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I see feeling like crap being a side effect. But try it and let us know how it goes!
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    From the sound of it, the LHJ article is addressing a woman with a condition she's always had and struggles with, not recommending it as "a diet to try". The first study you linked to seems to be saying that hyperglycemic diabetic men who don't require a lot of injected insulin can eat a high-carb diet instead of taking insulin shots. An all-carb diet is not a good idea.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ladies Home Journal? Seriously?

The study cited in the AJCN was a very small (13 subjects) highly specific (hyperglycemic, diabetic men) subject set for an extremely limited time period (2 weeks). Sorry, that doesn't really prove anything.

The JCNI article is more promising with its larger subject pool (817 subjects), and longer study period (2 years), but in cases where there is limited control over the subjects' intakes and those are self reported, there can be questions on correlation vs causation that are entirely valid.

The study you're quoting from JCEM has similar limitations to the first journal in that the small number of subjects (18) and short time period makes it difficult to validate their hypothesis. Their control of the test subjects diet is something that many of these studies fail to do, so that is the one thing in their favour. Unfortunately, providing prepared food to a large pool of test subjects for that kind of time period would likely have blown the budget for the study.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I see feeling like crap being a side effect. But try it and let us know how it goes!

^This

I sort of did this on accident many years ago while trying to lose baby weight. I was getting plenty of protein (non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese, tuna) and carbs (popcorn, licorice, pretzels, jelly beans, oranges), but only 1-2g of fat per day. I lost lost of weight, but felt like total crap.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so down on this even though it isn't the conventional mass market wisdom or just because Dr Oz didn't sponsor it.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was reading Ladies Home Journal[1] as I do and I heard about a new diet I want to try.

It's called the all-carb diet. Most of my favorite foods are carb-rich like cake and donuts. I love pasta too and bread and pastries. I really think this could work, and it makes sense because of the way Atkins and stuff works by eliminating macronutrients.

Since muscle weighs more than fat it seems like an easy way to shed a LOT of weight very fast while still keeping all systems online.

It is totally supported by recent research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [2], which indicates there can be a LOT of beneficial effects! Other published studies indicate that it could reduce breast cancer risk [3], and combined with dietary fat restriction, can help decrease weight significantly! [4]

Totally. Here's a sample menu:
    Breakfast: loaf of bread
    Snack: honey crullers, hot chocolate
    Lunch: Ice cream cake
    Snack: Cinnamon bun
    Dinner: French fries covered in chocolate and sugar
    Dessert: Ice cream
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so down on this even though it isn't the conventional mass market wisdom or just because Dr Oz didn't sponsor it.

EDIT: dammit. posting in a troll thread. well done OP. LOL

I'm down on it because it's not a good idea unless you plan on disregarding the need for dietary fat and disregarding the need for ample amino acids to support LBM during dieting.

Your first link was specifically supporting the use of high carbohydrate diets for diabetic men requiring a medication to reduce glucose. If you don't fit this demographic then I wouldn't use this study as something very applicable to you.

Your last link is about Leptin and Leptin, to my knowledge does not upregulate with fat intake so of course a lower fat, higher carb diet would upregulate Leptin, but worrying about Leptin upregulation while NOT considering the more important things (like EFAs, amino acids) would be an example of focusing on the relatively unimportant things while disregarding the things that actually matter.

(Doesn't mean Leptin isn't important, it is, but that's what diet breaks are for).

You can go ahead and try it if you want, but I don't think it's a good idea.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM A CARB GAL!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    This is a joke.
    Right?
    Right?
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    All carbs...all protein...all dairy...all veggies and fruits...all eggs...all grapefruit...banana diet...etc...

The only thing that works is a healthy balanced diet of carbs, protein, fats and lots of fruits and veggies.

I love carbs, but the body needs healthy fats and protein to function optimally.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm reading something from "The Onion".

What does LHJ have to say about developing insulin resistance?
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    "Totally. Here's a sample menu:
    Dessert: Ice cream"

Lol! And it really works! Why hadn't I thought of that???
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Totally. Here's a sample menu:
    Dessert: Ice cream

Everyone's being so mean I don't know if you're just making fun of me but I can do EXACTLY this with a 400 calorie deficit:

diet_zpsb037e99e.png

Edited to add - and that's TWO servings of fries for dinner.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    LMFAO this is so win.

LOL Chocolate sugar fries.

I'm dyin
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Most of us here have done a lot of research on nutrition. I wouldn't do this diet because it doesn't align with what I know about how our bodies work - if I ate that many simple carbs, my blood sugar would be through the roof. It's all a balance. What I know about myself is if I stay away from simple carbs and get them from nutritious things such as fruits and veggies, and eat a good amount of protein, I stay full longer and I don't crave sweets. When I eat just the fruits and veggies, I'm hungry within 2 hours. I've been amazed how full I feel eating just 1/4 cup of chicken salad (for example). I also want to keep the weight off this time. And the only way I think that'll work is lifestyle changes.

You sure you're not just trying to start a negative run with your post? LOL!! Good luck with this :-)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    RickRoll_zps7a03dd55.jpg
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Edited to add - and that's TWO servings of fries for dinner.

lol nice! Although you may want to switch from steak fries to crinkle cut, then there will be more grooves to act as a carrier for the chocolate. :tongue: