When do you eat most of your calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 50% before dinner time. The other 50% for dinner and night time snacks.

I don't try to do this, but it is usually true for me as well. I have a desk job and don't get too hungry during the day just sitting around. And I like to have a real "meal" in the evenings complete with a full plate of food and wine. And since I workout right after work and I'm usually starving after that, it works perfectly for me.
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When: breakfast, lunch and dinner are usualy close to the same, 400 - 500 each. morning and afternoon snacks vary but try and stay under 200. easy to do with fruit/veggies. if i need help with calories on high cardio days I opt for some high calorie snacks like apple w/ PB or a half bagel w/PB. I try not to make up a big calorie deficit late in the day just b/c i would be miserable and affect my sleep.

Add some avacado to your salads and / or olive oil (good fats and high cals). Peanut butter and bagel or protein drink right after your workout would help too.
  • Razbet
    Razbet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Smallest meal is breakfast 200cal

lunch about 400 cal

snack 80-150 cal

dinner 600 cal

snack 80-150 cal

This seems to work best for me.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency and timing have no impact on metabolic rate or weight loss.

Your metabolism won't slow down just because you don't eat a meal. It averages out through the day.

And you don't have to "rev up" your metabolism in the morning.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    i eat most of them while i'm awake

Good to know! lol
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat my biggest meal at lunch so that when I workout in the evening I'm not too bloaty, but I have energy. It's fine to eat any time of day though, so long as you're meeting your calorie limit.

A word of caution though, eating soon before bed can give you tummy trouble. Bleh.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you're at all prone to acid reflux/sour stomach, try not to eat any big meals at least 2-3 hours before you plan on going to bed for the evening. That being said, I don't really think it matters when specifically in the day you eat your calories. For me, since I work in the morning and am up very early, I'm starving by 10:30-11 a.m., so most of my daily calories are eaten in the window of 11-5, since I go to bed early as well. But everyone's different, and so long as you don't feel shaky or get headaches, eat whenever you feel like doing so.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't like to be hungry in the evenings. So, I try to save as many as I can so I can pig out for dinner and feel full. Nothing like going to bed hungry, I can't stand that!!

For me, breakfast is about 180 cals, lunch around 400-500ish and the rest is one snack and dinner.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't like to be hungry in the evenings. So, I try to save as many as I can so I can pig out for dinner and feel full. Nothing like going to bed hungry, I can't stand that!!

For me, breakfast is about 180 cals, lunch around 400-500ish and the rest is one snack and dinner.

I'm around 200-250 for bfast, 300 for lunch, and the rest for snacks/dinner. I try to save also so I'm not 'out of food' by the end of the day... It's a mental thing, I know, but I too hate going to bed hungry.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Almost every day I eat the bulk of my calories between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. and I steadily lose a little over a pound a week. From personal experience, I don't think when matters.
  • cassandraforbes1
    Options
    i eat most off my calories between lunch and breakfast