You logged what as exercise?

Options
I see some strange things being logged as exercise. What are your opinions on these things and what have you seen that you wouldn't conciser exercise.
Example: Reading, Cooking, Cleaning, working at McDonald's, Sex, Masturbating, Sleeping, School work, Studying.

I always wonder why people log things like this. I mean if you really want to know what your burning all day figure out your TDEE right? Then set up your goal with a deficit off that number? Doesn't MFP already do that when you sign up and you enter in your activity level?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah but i most people put in their activity as sedentary even if that isnt really the case.

i have no opinion either way since i generally try to stay out of other grown folks' business and generally have about 1/2 a fark to give per day to what other people decide to do, but i'm curious if people that log things like food prep, dish washing, cleaning etc eat those calories back and if they still lose weight on a consistent basis
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Some people change their settings and their goal is no longer what MFP set for them. I keep my pedometer on all day and keep track of ALL the steps I take. Compared to the total couch potato I was before I joined here any step is a gain right now
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Working at McDonald's would actually burn some serious calories. Fast paced job, on your feet, constantly running from one end of the place to the other, possibly lifting heavy boxes, etc.

As for the rest....it'd have to be a damn good orgasm before I could count it as having burned anything.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't put those things as exercise because they are part of my normal daily living and I am set to 'light active' so I only count things done, out of the norm, that are intentional exercise.
    And I don't count my Bodyweight workouts that are 3 times a day. Between that and whatever housework I do, I figure it's part of my 'exercises 3-5 days a week' status.

Maybe some of those people are set to 'sedentary' or didn't really do cooking or housework for years while getting the weight on & dn do them now and track it. Maybe it helps motivate new people and soon on their own they will figure out to count intentional exercise will be to their best, bit for now the extra motivation helps.

Maybe some people just want to eat more cheesecake and fell justified.
  • viciouscakes
    viciouscakes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    anything you do at a constint pace would be considered exercise so whatever people track is there business i track cleaning and etc because i have kids and am constantly running after them! and ive only been on here since what saturday and already am seeing results so to each is own, plus i do a daily routine of zumba!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Working at McDonald's would actually burn some serious calories. Fast paced job, on your feet, constantly running from one end of the place to the other, possibly lifting heavy boxes, etc.

As for the rest....it'd have to be a damn good orgasm before I could count it as having burned anything.

:laugh:

ETA: you're really on a roll today
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    yeah but i most people put in their activity as sedentary even if that isnt really the case.

i have no opinion either way since i generally try to stay out of other grown folks' business and generally have about 1/2 a fark to give per day to what other people decide to do, but i'm curious if people that log things like food prep, dish washing, cleaning etc eat those calories back and if they still lose weight on a consistent basis

I hurt my leg and my physio told me no exercise for a while, so I changed my setting to sedentary and logged things like cleaning and food prep, along with the remedial exercises my physio gave me.

It helped me keep track, meant I didn't feel totally useless and also gave me an idea of whether I could eat a little extra of some days rather than being petrified and sticking to minimum calories. And I still lost- slower than with exercise, but still the right direction, which kept my spirits up and meant I didn't jump the gun, go back to exercising too soon and injure myself again.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just updated my activity level to sedentary. The main reason being, I am a stay at home mom. I am very active with my kids when it's nice out, but not so much in the winter weather. I do log house cleaning, or light exercise, why not? My calories are based on a sedentary level for the day.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just moving to extremely overweight people is difficult and is a step up from doing nothing. Why shouldn't they log it? By logging it they'll figure out soon enough if they are gaining or losing and if they have to adjust.

Edit: many people log walking for an hour, why not log house cleaning for an hour?
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I debate on whether to delete them from my friends... but some of them are really nice...
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    What difference does it make to you? This site is set up to be personalized, and if someone wants to log "staring at the wall" as exercise, that's their business. If you don't like it, simply hit the delete button...it's really easy. Then you can log "4 minutes of deleting friends because I don't like their exercises" under your Cardio for the day :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they wear a HRM while masturbating?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I log picking my nose
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I will log cooking when I do marathon canning sessions or pie making sessions, etc. It's a lot of extra steps for several hours plus carrying, lifting peeling 20lbs of sweet potatoes, kneading and rolling out dough, etc. Same thing for cleaning when I clean all the carpets in the house, it's several hours of scrubbing plus pulling around a heavy steam cleaner. All of that stuff is outside of my normal day, so I figure it counts.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    What difference does it make to you? This site is set up to be personalized, and if someone wants to log "staring at the wall" as exercise, that's their business. If you don't like it, simply hit the delete button...it's really easy. Then you can log "4 minutes of deleting friends because I don't like their exercises" under your Cardio for the day :)

Lol! This is great!
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Wow, Guess i didn't expect to get so much hate. Should have figured, can't ask a question with out being made to feel like an idiot. Back to the hole I crawled out of. Should have known i'm not allowed to have an opinion.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they wear a HRM while masturbating?

Once I had to wear a heart holter monitor thingy (dr wanted to monitor my heart for possible problems)

Well, I thought it would be fun to wear while my husband and I 'made love'.... Then the doctor mentioned a big spike at 10PM and I suddenly got embarrassed and bet he knew exactly why and I felt dumb for wearing the device during sex.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

That, always that.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The time I log housework or cleaning is when:

1. I am dancing with the vaccuum and turning it into a workout.
    2. Taking down or putting up Christmas decorations. Because it involves a lot of bending over, going up and down ladders, etc...
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hahahah! the best! in response to the heart rate monitor while making love