You logged what as exercise?

Options

Replies

• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they wear a HRM while masturbating?

Only if it's around the throat, to you know... 'enhance' the process?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I see some strange things being logged as exercise. What are your opinions on these things and what have you seen that you wouldn't conciser exercise.
    Example: Reading, Cooking, Cleaning, working at McDonald's, Sex, Masturbating, Sleeping, School work, Studying.

First its CONSIDER.

Second. I do not care what others log as exercise. I personally do not log everyday things but thats my choice, if my friend wants to count food prep, or sex, or w/e thats their choice, if works for them it works for them.

Third. Why do you care what others put for exercise? Seriously, why do you care? Does it matter? Does it impact your life in some great way? No probably not.
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i think it's completely silly and usually delete people who log stuff like that because I don't take them seriously. doesn't everyone do that stuff everyday? I've been cleaning, etc. most of my life and still gained weight and never considered it exercise before so why would I call it exercise now?
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Working at McDonald's would actually burn some serious calories. Fast paced job, on your feet, constantly running from one end of the place to the other, possibly lifting heavy boxes, etc.

Then your daily activity level should be set higher. Work is not exercise. It is physical activity.
  • cheylizbeth
    Options
    I work at Mcdonalds and I never realized I could log it as exercise! I'm not even sure how I could find out how many calories I burned!!!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

No, but I do use a pedometer on my wrist.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If it makes me sweat then I probably should log it is what I think. I consider my walking to and from work (considering my usual pace is nearly a run) to be exercise and when I really clean the house I work those floors, walls and tub till they sparkle so it's a considerable energy effort.

Since I am not getting any it probably doesn't matter but I would definitely not consider it a workout unless is a vigorous and for more than an hour.

Otherwise I log exercise normally. *shrug*
    I work at Mcdonalds and I never realized I could log it as exercise! I'm not even sure how I could find out how many calories I burned!!!!

Pedometer or Multisensor Tracker, they track differently, if your not doing a lot of strength in your job (I consider strength bringing the heavy things from the cage, changing the pop tabs or doing brower) then you'd probably just want to use a pedometer to measure how much you move.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what philosophy people follow in terms of logging.

Those that like to eat back their exercise calories - sort of like a reward - frequently put their settings to sedentary and then log every activity as exercise - so they get to eat more.

Those that like to eat roughly the same calories every day, pick a higher activity modifier, and then only log vigorous exercise.

I do the latter (I actually pick sedentary, but then customize my calorie goals based upon my average weekly burns and then do not log exercise calories). Both methods can work just fine - it just depends on what works best for you.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I log riding my motorcycle because I think it counts. I took the calories burned by riding a motorcycle and subtracted out the calories burned by driving a car, leaving behind only the additional calories my Harley burns.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eh, what people log, they log. It doesn't make any difference to anyone else.

I personally only log cleaning when I do something out of my normal routine (I'm a stay at home mom, and I spend a lot of time on my feet, surprisingly enough! LOTS of cleaning!). Yesterday or Monday, I vacuumed the stairs. My vacuum weighs 25lbs. It's an exercise that takes forever, and I have to hold the vacuum the entire time to vacuum the stairs (I could just use the hose and do it that way, but it cleans better this way). And sometimes I'll log dusting if I'm really moving furniture around to clean.

Again, thats out of my normal routine, and heavy work. It's extra energy that I'm putting out, and I need to track it so I can make sure I'm not undereating.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have worn my HRM during sex. Even the sweaty acrobatic kind only burns about 120 cal for 30 min. About the same as shopping.

Scrubbing the tub gets a bigger cardiac response.
  • robynkellock
    robynkellock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sex is great exercise... you just need to put some effort in!!! If it burns more calories then... yes please!! :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options

You'd probably better off making sure your activity modifier was set correctly vs. trying to log it as exercise. Try active.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I log picking my nose

Do you log eating it?

:bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What difference does it make to you? This site is set up to be personalized, and if someone wants to log "staring at the wall" as exercise, that's their business. If you don't like it, simply hit the delete button...it's really easy. Then you can log "4 minutes of deleting friends because I don't like their exercises" under your Cardio for the day :)

This ^^ 100%
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm set as sedentary, and I would never log my typical mundane tasks such as cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping etc. The only things I log are if I'm walking for a very extended period of time (theme parks, walking around 6 hours) or actually working out.

I don't care what other people do, but I don't log any of that stuff and I definitely wouldn't eat back the calories based off of an MFP estimate for preparing food or something.

People I know who do log that stuff typically do it do either motivate themselves to actually do the chores, or some I know say that they have done it to make themselves feel better after they over ate because it gets their diary 'out of the red'.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your activity level should be your average activity including all these little things that you do. Maybe you don't clean daily, but you also probably don't walk around your office daily, or you don't go shopping daily, but you do something else on the other days. You should log EXERCISE, as in going to the gym or going for a run or going for a walk that is outside of your normal activity level. If you have a wide variety and are worried about accurately recording your variable activity on a daily basis in a more accurate manner maybe a pedometer would be a good investment. Surely somewhere they have a guide of what constitutes each activity level and you could adjust based on the number of steps you take in a day.

Personally, my activity level is set to sedentary (worst case scenario that I'm sick and stay in bed all day) and my fitbit automatically gives me exercise calories in the form of a "fitbit adjustment" throughout the day as I am more active. I then override my fitbit step data for exercise recorded on a heart rate monitor (running, elliptical, other cardio, etc) and don't log weight training (in MFP or fitbit at least) even tho I guess that contributes to overall calorie burning ability.

If you get to the point of logging every little thing you do, you're probably only cheating yourself. If in doubt, don't log it...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see some strange things being logged as exercise. What are your opinions on these things and what have you seen that you wouldn't conciser exercise.
    Example: Reading, Cooking, Cleaning, working at McDonald's, Sex, Masturbating, Sleeping, School work, Studying.

I always wonder why people log things like this. I mean if you really want to know what your burning all day figure out your TDEE right? Then set up your goal with a deficit off that number? Doesn't MFP already do that when you sign up and you enter in your activity level?

MFP has no clue how often I have sex! :devil:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What difference does it make to you? This site is set up to be personalized, and if someone wants to log "staring at the wall" as exercise, that's their business. If you don't like it, simply hit the delete button...it's really easy. Then you can log "4 minutes of deleting friends because I don't like their exercises" under your Cardio for the day :)

That, always that.

:drinker:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

No, but I do use a pedometer on my wrist.

^THAT made me literally LOL!