embracing bigger boobs??

Options
So I'm not technically overweight, and haven't been since I was like 10, but I had gained a lot of weight recently because of hypothyroid, and because of that weight gain, and also just my body, I have DD boobs. And they appear really big on me people often refer to them as massive haha. I know a lot of people view big boobs as a good thing. And luckily they aren't big enough to cause me a lot of pain or issues exercising, though I do get some back pain, and have to wear really good sports bras and even then running isn't exactly comfortable. But the biggest issue for me is having to buy bigger tops or dresses. It really gets me down when I have to buy a size large sweater, or a size 10 dress, when I wear medium or waist size 28 (like a 6) bottom, and often times a medium or even small dress or sweater or top fits fine until the middle of my boobs.
Anyone else struggle with this, and how do you get over it?

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • sainity
    Options
    I've heard of people who buy 'for their boobs' and then get them tailored to fit the rest of them. I can't afford that, alas. Apparently Bramissimo/Pepperberry create clothes for bigger breasted women, never tried them myself. What I tend to do is make sure there's a little bit of stretch in the fabric and look for curvier-friendly designers like Cue, in Australia.
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, my boobs have shrunk marginally compared with the rest of me, so I'm about a 34DD. It's really hard to find bras and shirts that fit, and fit well. I have to forget any dress or camisole with a shelf, or any style that has what I like to call "triangle boobs" because it just doesn't look right.

For tops and jackets I buy the right size for the rest of me and then only button to beneath my boobs. Or, if that doesn't look right for the top, I'll buy a top that fits my boobs well but then pair it with a waist belt to bring in the extra fabric on the bottom. For semi formal wear I'm a big fan of pencil skirts because they accentuate my hips to match my boobs. My biggest problem is tops that are supposed to end at the waist, because my boobs pull them up and I'm not about to show my stomach!

As far as dresses go I pick out things that gather at the waist rather than right below my breasts. I buy things that are stretchy and thick because the fabric won't look wrong if it has to work more around my boobs, and it will still fit everywhere else. Sadly, now with all the dresses I own I have to wear a gathered jacket or a belt because they are all too loose in the wrong places. That's why it seems easier to just do shirt/skirt combos because I have more control over the shape.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Guess this is why I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda girl. If I buy a large t-shirt it fits good on my chest and is still an okay fit on the rest. I don't like my shirts skin tight anyway.

I always do skirts and tops unless the dress is a really drapey material that hangs nice on the rest of my body.

As I loose weight though, my boobs are going too. I'm kinda bummed about it but it does make shopping easier.

I have also gone to Victorias Secret bras only. They are expensive but only if you pay full retail. There are tons of coupons and sales where you can get them for the same price as a department store bra. They will fit you so you can be sure you are getting the correct fit and my VS bras last ten times longer than department store ones.
  • stonel94
    Options
    I love dresses and not so much skirts

the real thing here is, I can find dresses that fit because I don't like fitted dresses, so it's just an A-line style that fits my boobs snugly and then kinda loose everywhere else and that looks fine. It's just having to buy a bigger size, for me the double digit size really bothers me, so the fact that I usually have to buy a 10 or sometimes a 12 really gets me to the point that I don't even want to try on dresses, and if I pick it out and it doesn't fit in the 8 or lower I don't bother trying it on in a bigger size and just give up on it.
    Anyone else struggle with this JUST size issue? not fit or anything, just having the label
  • stonel94
    Options
    Oh, I hate VS bras haha, they are expensive but made cheaply, I don't care about the price, I go to a good bra fitter and get perfectly fitted bras. It's not a fit or a price issue, it's a numbers issue
  • stonel94
    Options
    I have also gone to Victorias Secret bras only. They are expensive but only if you pay full retail. There are tons of coupons and sales where you can get them for the same price as a department store bra. They will fit you so you can be sure you are getting the correct fit and my VS bras last ten times longer than department store ones.

also, I wouldn't trust their fitting, like go get a real fitting, they just measure under and tell you your band size not your cup size and they aren't really trained at all. VS is expensive, expensive does not equal good. i learned that from VS
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the same issue. I have a 29-1/2 inch waist... and 42-inch boobs. Depending on the brand, I'm anywhere between a 34F and a 36H. I've found what's best (for me) is layering! I'll have a couple of dressy button-down shirts that fit through my waist, and I'll pair those with stretchy sweaters so that the top can be unbuttoned but still give me a flattering shape. Also, don't knock shopping in the maternity section (sounds cray, I know). Those clothes are designed for bodies which are constantly changing and growing. Some of my best-fitting shirts and dresses came from Target's maternity clearance rack. Look for shirts that tie around the waist, so that you can fit for your boobs and then tie back the extra material. Also, just adding a thin belt around the middle really defines your shape. I'm rather proud of having size 14+ boobs and a size 8-to-10 waist =p
    Also, I've no idea if you have this issue, but exercising can be really painful for me. So I wear an old normal bra and a sports bra on top of it. That really keeps them from moving too much.
  • akafn
    akafn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about the label size, no one sees it but you anyway. If you get your bras custom fit, why not buy what you want, and have it tailored to fit you. Many clothes can be altered quite easily. I have struggled with this issue forever. I have had D cups since the 7th Grade, and since I have gained weight, I've gone up as high as an H and had to get tops that were several sizes too big just to go over the girls.

Unfortunately, you have to realize that retailers are trying to fit an "average" person at the size they think the label represents. I try to focus on the cut of something, not the size. :)
  • akafn
    akafn Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Also, I've no idea if you have this issue, but exercising can be really painful for me. So I wear an old normal bra and a sports bra on top of it. That really keeps them from moving too much.

Me too! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A+ on the topic title :drinker:
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    ya it is really annoying at times. Camis are a good idea and wide belts.
    There's really nothing you can do except remember that the boobs are the reason that you have to wear the larger size and not you.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just deal with it by not really letting clothes not fitting my boobs get to me. The whole "this dress fits my ___ but not my ____" thing....it happens with everyone. I have some itty bitty titty friends who get frustrated when the tops on dresses are too big. Just part of buying clothes. It's a fallacy that there's a body out there that will look stunning in everything.

I wear a 36DD and I love my boobs. They aren't really that crazy on me because I'm pretty tall with fairly broad shoulders, but they're definitely noticeable. I just try and keep them held up nice and tight when I'm at the gym and make sure they're behaving in my work attire. That's about the most I really deal with them. I guess my only gripe is that at 6 ft with such large knockers, I look like a skank in a lot of things that look "cute" on smaller chested and more petite girls. But it's kind of a draw because long legs and giant bazoomas make you look AWESOME naked :wink: .
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    well you said it yourself! money isn't an issue! so buy the size to fit your boobs and get the rest tailored to a single digit number... and Embrace Bigger Boobs!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

hugging-boobs.jpg
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'll embrace em for ya :) Seriously though, I've always had the opposite problem, as in buying dresses to fit my butt and having a sad baggy top :( I think that look is worse then snug dresstop/loose bottom, but I guess the upside is I don't have to buy sport panties for my butt (hmm, makes me wonder though). I guess we just gotta learn to live with what we got! Or plastic surgery
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was really expecting this thread to be about something else. :smokin:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

also, I wouldn't trust their fitting, like go get a real fitting, they just measure under and tell you your band size not your cup size and they aren't really trained at all. VS is expensive, expensive does not equal good. i learned that from VS

Yeah, their fittings are AWFUL. They actually told me...and ARGUED WITH ME...that I was a 36C. My underbust measures 31" and my chest measures 37.5". Every decent bra fitter I have ever been to (obviously not VS) has put me in a 32F or a 34E (32DDD or 34DD) depending on the brand and style.

I do have some of their bras, though, and I find a couple styles quite comfortable. But definitely have to try it on first. To get a decent bra in my particular size, I have to spend money. It seems that most people can't possibly fathom that my size exists, even though it is quite average (most people wear the wrong size anyway).
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I embrace them with a heart-filled, gentle, and warm touch.

My wife has "bigger boobs." For the most part she deals with them pretty well. She has her days where she curses what she wears or how she looks because of the chest. She goes through bras quickly though. She's always buying new bras because they get stretched out.

In terms of dresses and stuff like that, she wears what she likes regardless of how much boob shows. She's not ashamed of them. Quite the opposite. She'll sunbathe topless quite frequently. But with the size comes the comments and stares at the beach. And I have gotten used to the attention they get as well.

Simply put: if you got 'em, flaunt 'em. It's great to have curves.
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am 32F and a UK 12 (US 8). I used to be 32F and UK 10 (US 6)

I just embrace it. Certain shops are better than others. And I have a friend that can sew who takes things in at the waist for me. You can also be inventive with layering which allows you to wear some dresses open (this doesn’t always work so try it on.)