My coworkers are making fun of my healthy eating habits

Options

Replies

• pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    ...but I'm not too bent out of shape about it.
    I've taken to eating whole raw tomatoes and green peppers for snacks. Because they're healthy, delicious, and I'm too lazy to cut them up in the morning.
    So, what's so weird about that?
    My co-worker eats dried orange peels, so she has no room to talk.

There's one word for that, JEALOUSY.

Clearly, jealous of the fact you are gonna be a hot slim worker and they're gonna be fat slobs :) Do not even retaliate :)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Keep doing and what you are doing. Although a whole tomato can be kind of messy. Maybe try buying cherry or grape tomatoes as they are bite size and less messy. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Yay you!!
  • Jonesyuno
    Options
    My wife and I adopted the vegan-style of eating in Sept. of 2011. When we first did it, some of my co-workers let me have it too. But, in the following few months, I lost 20-25 pounds and my health numbers were the best they'd been ever.

Do what is best for your body and you, and ignore the nay-sayers. Good on you!
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Careful on so many tomatoes, they have so much acid. Keep up the good work.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I embrace weirdness.... I love anything that makes me different! If someone thinks I'm being weird it's usually because it doesn't fit the social norm and that to me is a good thing :wink:
  • runningwild00
    Options
    To me, the idea of eating a whole raw tomato is weird. But that's only because I find tomatoes weird....it's the consistency and mushy, ugh, getting gross just thinking of it!!

But besides that, I think you're doing great :) Maybe your healthy eating styles will enlighten them to eat better!

I fortunately, and not so fortunately, do not have an office. So i eat my lunch walking around the city. People stare at me! Probably because I am the only one pealing an orange and walking....or eating soup from a thermos and walking.....eating a PB&J and walking.....no time to sit down!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten comments on my food, but I have gotten comments on what I carry it in usually.

I use a kid's PlanetBox lunch box (just without the magnets http://www.planetbox.com/ ). I'm petite so a kid's lunchbox has actually helped me with portion sizes (I have the Rover size one). Plus it's easy to clean and easy to spot in the break room fridge.

Only things I don't like about it are that it isn't microwavable and that anything juicy can leak if the tray is tilted (when I don't use the inserts specifically for liquids. I try to pack things that don't need microwaved when I use it, or else I use a paper plate to just microwave whatever item from the tray that needs to be heated (like chicken). I often pack bread it in as well and then toast it after I'm at the office.

I've heard it's:
    a) cool and modern (Yay!)
    b) neat and retro (LOL + Yay!)
    c) looks like a prison lunch tray (What?!)
    d) nice to be eco friendly (Yay!)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The teasing and/or the food police will eventually get bored and the unwanted attention will taper off. Unless you are heating broccoli, cabbage or brussel sprouts in microwave, that never fails to get comments.
  • sally414
    Options
    Don't let it get to you! A lot of people will be disappointed you're not around anymore for unhealthful lunch outings or donuts or whatever else you used to snack on around the office. Don't let them drag you down! :) Sounds like a great snack!
  • melanie8289
    melanie8289 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm quite lucky in that my colleges are supportive of my healthy eating and are really impressed wih the weight I've lost. Tell the negative people where to get off and remind them of their comments when they notice you losing weight.

Keep up the good work and don't let them put you off your goals
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I must be lucky working in an office with people of so many different nationalities, when people make their lunches in the lunch room, I can get pretty weird and not come anywhere near what some other people are eating! The most common discussions in our lunch rooms are 'that smells really good, what is that?' and then everyone gathering together comparing their lunches and what is in them. Sometimes there is even some trading going on. Our potlucks are pretty incredible too with all the different backgrounds.
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    Ignore them and say I want to eat this and I will.
  • flexdirectcpr
    flexdirectcpr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just always tell them, "Hey, Don't yuck my yum. I don't yuck yours." It usually gets a laugh out of them.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My coworkers (and family and friends) made fun of my healthy eating habits until I brought in deliciously healthy things to share... and they ended up loving every single bit of what I made.

So much so, I made separate batches for some of them to take home at times lol

Worked like a charm and now they ask for and share recipes! :laugh:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My employees made fun of my habits for a while too. Even more so for me I think because I became vegan and started bringing 'weird' things to eat. But 10 months and 116 pounds later, they are no longer making fun of me!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Often the people who make fun of you for your food choices will eventually be asking for advice after they see what eating healthy is doing for you....mark my words...its eventually contagious!!! :laugh:
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    they make fun of you because they're actually jealous/probably to weak to commit to eating healthy...good job!

Excatly my thought. :)
  • ngitong
    Options
    No worries--I agree with the comments about jealousy. I don't say this in a conceited way, but we all know that this takes WORK and dedication to keep on our individual, healthy path.