Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you have any strange fears?

15678911»

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Short version:
    Former fears/phobias:
    Heights, thunder, exotic venomous animals, military draft, and being taken hostage.

Current fears/phobias:
    Tall rollercoasters and serious loss of mental/physical ability

Details:
    Former fears/phobias:
    1) Heights: anything over about 20 feet. If I was on the 3rd story of a building and near a window, I felt like it was leaning. Totally disappeared before middle school and I have no idea how. Have been in (former) Sears Tower (7th grade) and in the (no longer here) World Trade Center (10th grade) with no issues whatsoever.
    2) Thunder: Lightning was never an issue, even though I knew that was the part that could kill you. And I grew up in a bad neighborhood, so it wasn't just any loud booming noise cuz hearing gunfire was almost a weekly thing and that did nothing to me. I used to have the ability to "will" myself to take a nap and awake when the storm was over! No idea how it started, but I know exactly when I got over that fear. We had 2 sheds in the backyard and the smaller, metal one blew down during a violent night storm. My dad had a "brain surgeon" moment and decided that the time to prop up a METAL shed was during a violent lightning storm, at night, carrying a huge 6 D-cell Mag-Lite! :noway: Anything on real value was in the other shed, the metal one only had overflow crap that wasn't of much value. Anyway, he made me watch him from a window in case anything happened to him. Fortunately all went AOK, but being forced to watch him in that storm for over an hour instantly cured me!
    3) Exotic venomous animals: Rattlesnakes, scorpions, gila monsters, etc. None of these animals were indigenous to my area. Probably came from watching so many animals documentaries as a child. Disappeared overnight; no idea how/why.
    4) Being drafted into the military: I dunno! Dad was retired Army when I was born. One sister was in Air Force right after I was born and my brother and several cousins also served. No idea where that came from, maybe I watched a 'Nam movie when I was really young. Anyway, all someone had to do was explain to me that the draft was no longer in effect and that went away.
    5) Being taken hostage: I know for a fact this came from the Iranian hostage situation when I was a kid. Again, it only took someone explaining the situation to me and I was all good. I could've save a 'year of fear' if I simply asked questions from the beginning, but hey, I was only 6-7 and didn't know any better.

Current fears/phobias; I have no idea how/when they started but fortunately they don't affect my everyday life:
    1) Rollercoasters: Can watch them all day long, but won't ride the big ones. I remember a 7th grade trip where I was ashamed to tell anyone and stood in line for 90 min with my group (3 other kids). When it got to our turn to strap in, I had an actual panic attack and they had to get me out of there. I wasn't teased, but my group gave my funny glares the rest of the trip. I love amusement parks but I usually get out of rollercoasters by claiming that I won't fit in the seat safely. That excuse doesn't work so well for stand-up or suspended versions, but sit-downs are a genuine issue because they tend not to provide legroom for a 6'4" person. I'll ride smaller coasters, but once they get over probably 50-60' drop, no thanks. I'm confident that 1-2 rides in a tall coaster would probably cure me instantly, but good luck getting me in one! :noway: I found out a couple of years ago that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has the same phobia, so I don't feel so bad admitting it now. Until then, only about 3-4 people knew and I was deeply ashamed.
    2) Serious loss of mental/physical ability: Stroke, coma, paralysis, incontinence, MS, etc. I've seen people slowly wither away because of stroke, Alzheimer's, emphysema, etc. I don't want to go out like that. Give me enough time to say goodbye and wraps things up, but not months/years being slowly chipped away, especially if I'm aware of it. I remember twice in life I thought I suffered a mild neuro incident and I mentally did complex math problems to reassure myself that I hadn't lost mental capability. Not a day-to-day thing, but I was a fan of Dr. Kevorkian and a person's right to choose. I was also HIGHLY upset during that whole incident where Congress decided to intervene in a right-to-die medical case (forget her name); I was fuming daily when that went down.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I fear being stripped of my second amendment rights.

BEST ANSWER!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Nuns. I went to Catholic school and there was this nun, Sister Barbara, who terrified me. She made me stand in front of the whole cafeteria because I told someone to shut up. Another nun told my class that she wished they could still use the ruler on kids. I think they have passed away by now, but the idea of them still scares the *kitten* out of me.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Cracking an egg open on the side of a frying pan and a little chick falling into the hot pan.

This has actually happened to me! It wasn't completely a chic yet, it looked more like a vieny mess with a heat and some eyes, but the heat was beating!!!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    I won't have baths... Haven't had one since I was about six... And yes it because I believe an anaconda and/or shark will come up through the drain and eat me.
  • IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    I'm afraid of the colour yellow.
  • Amazing what the brain can make you feel or do! All your fears/phobias are so strange to me!

I have no phobias or extreme fears that will prevent me from enjoying life to the fullest. Yet, I am scared of dying. I don't wanna die. Thinking that one day, I'm gonna close my eyes, and never ever see life... gives me goosebumps! Brrrr!
    But yeah... I don't like bugs and spiders, the classic...

FEET!!!! I HATE FEET!

Someone gets there feet near me I tense up, If they don't have socks on I go into panic mode... The feel touch me I FREAK. I am talking scream, cry and move the farthest I can away from them. Family thinks it is funny to put their feet on me while in the car... I am trying to wedge myself against the dashboard and crawl in the area between the windsheild and dashboard. .

I have to ask...

If they creeps you out that much... what do you do with your own feet!?

I am ok with my own... Just can't handle someone else's!