Are you EATING?!

Options
Okay, from viewing some people's diaries. I feel like no one is really eating anything nutritional or are barely eating at all. I've read so many skimpy diaries that I'm starting to believe some on you guys are on the verge of starving yourselves. Most people are eating, or in this case, drinking supplement or meal replacement drinks for breakfast, lunch or dinner, (sometimes all 3). I mean those are alright but you don't receive any real nutrients from them like you would from a REAL meal, with real vegies, meats, whole grains, etc. And I think that's crazy! Are you afraid to eat those things because it will put you over your calorie limit? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds on this free, public website, from starvationists to bunkers, from clean eaters to eating within limits at McDs.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT, and I try to make it as healthy as possible. I don't eat meat, cheese, or dairy, but i get protein from nuts, seeds, tempeh etc. And I eat as much whole food as possible! There are a lot of different eating styles on here though .
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Katy, I have read that is unsafe to intake less than 1200 calories a day. Please be careful and add some supplements to your diet. God bless you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to crack down on the Anorexia stuff on this site. Technically you can report posts and pro-ana profiles and pictures...but you can't stop people on an internet forum from hurting themselves.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am eating. I'm not doing the "eat more 2 weigh less" thing, my net calorie goal is only 1200. But I exercise most days and eat all my cals back so I have 1700-1800 calories a day. Also, I may have a smoothie as a snack but I eat real food for meals. I probably eat very healthy about 70-80% of my choices, I'd like to get that to 90%. When I get to the halfway point in my weight loss I'm going to up my net calories to 1400.

There are many people here who EAT.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am eating. I also eat a lot of protein powder, because it's convenient, fills me up and I actually like the taste. Chocolate protein powder that is ;-). I eat less carbs because it does not fill me up that much and then I end up going over my calories. But I eat around 2000-2300 cal each day, including exercise calories, so I would not call that starving at all.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have an issue with eating. Whether this is disordered thinking or not, I don't know. If I eat more than 900 calories a day, I flip out. I can't deal with it. So yes I eat very little. But I also eat one big meal a day. (You can look at my diary, I believe it's public.) Today, for example, all I'm having is an apple and some pudding. but then I'm having TWO SANDWICHES for dinner. This puts me at around 6-700 calories for the day. And that is a number I can live with. :)

Your diary is not open and your calorie intake is within starvation levels, even in a third world country, unless you are exceptionally short, and should only be undertaken with medical supervision.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    Don't underestimate the Force
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have an issue with eating. Whether this is disordered thinking or not, I don't know. If I eat more than 900 calories a day, I flip out. I can't deal with it. So yes I eat very little. But I also eat one big meal a day. (You can look at my diary, I believe it's public.) Today, for example, all I'm having is an apple and some pudding. but then I'm having TWO SANDWICHES for dinner. This puts me at around 6-700 calories for the day. And that is a number I can live with. :)

So seek medical help. You know that is not giving you all the nutrients your body needs for physical health and mental wellbeing. For the same calories you could have a far more nutritious diet: two sandwiches is not a big meal.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to crack down on the Anorexia stuff on this site. Technically you can report posts and pro-ana profiles and pictures...but you can't stop people on an internet forum from hurting themselves.

Unfortunately, I think the MFP food and exercise tracking triggers exercise bulimia for some people on this site. (Where you work off almost everything you consume.)
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I totally know the feeling and I'm not trying to preach or anything; I don't know how long you've been eating this way, but that is a number that NO ONE can live with, for an extended period of time..... and remain healthy, that is. I've been there, done that, and wish I never head back in that direction. It only leads to no-good, physically and mentally. Just be careful.

I totally agree, this site is meant to promote a healthy LIFESTYLE not a diet!? Can you honestly remain on liquid diets and supplements all your life and remain happy? Don't think so. Of course, this is the minority on this site, I think (and hope) but this site is meant to keep people aware and accountable of their habits, with ReAL Life and REAL food..... I'm with ya!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Unless you are under a doctors care while eating like this, seek help. This is going to end badly....
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of food. AND have an open diary. Mostly super good stuff, too if you turn a blind eye to the doughnuts i ate yesterday and today. See, I even feed my cravings and stay close to my goal of 1800. To be honest, I don't really care what my calorie total is as long as I get enough protein and fat and feel satisfied, I'm happy no matter what the carb or calorie totals are.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Everyone has their own preference since weight loss ultimately comes down to having a caloric deficit. As far as maintaining loss long term if people do it by eating protein shakes exclusively, the minute they go to eating food again they will gain a lot of it back and have a yo yo effect. As far as caloric intake is concerned, everyone is different and everyone knows what works for their bodies- there is a lot of misinformation out there and for every person who says one thing is perfect and healthy, there is another who will claim it causes cancer. do what works for you and will keep you on track, offer suggestions to others but let them do their own thing
  • KatyCrum6969
    KatyCrum6969 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Now it's open, sorry it was only open to my friends. For the record though, I just saw my doctor two days ago, and she told me to keep up the good work, knowing about my diet and all.. I do realize that there are some risks, but so far I've been eating this amount for about 3 months (Some days less. MOST days less) with the exception of about a week over the holidays, and so far no problems.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I think the MFP food and exercise tracking triggers exercise bulimia for some people on this site. (Where you work off almost everything you consume.)

Unfortunately this is true.... Some people get so obsessed with this site that it causes them to develop such problems, out of desperation, boredom, loneliness.... it's sad. And it's very easy on here to find Members with similar habits who will cheer eachother on :-(.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Whose diaries are you looking at? Not to be rude at all, but there seem to be a lot of topics posted along the lines of "I'm having such a hard time eating my 1200 calories" and that kind of thing. Yes, many of those people are going to be eating much less than those of us who don't would have no problem at all eating 1200+ calories and actually think it's healthier to do so. For the record, I have no problem with people eating at or below 1200 if that is their choice; it just gets a tad irritating to hear people constantly complain that they can't reach the goal. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that most of us are here because we had no trouble at all eating more than we should. It's also not hard to figure out what kinds of high calorie yet nutritious foods can be consumed to easily put one at their calorie goal.

All that being said, I don't often look at the food logs of others, but most of the ones I look at are very good and helpful at giving me ideas of different foods to try.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Okay, from viewing some people's diaries. I feel like no one is really eating anything nutritional or are barely eating at all. I've read so many skimpy diaries that I'm starting to believe some on you guys are on the verge of starving yourselves. Most people are eating, or in this case, drinking supplement or meal replacement drinks for breakfast, lunch or dinner, (sometimes all 3). I mean those are alright but you don't receive any real nutrients from them like you would from a REAL meal, with real vegies, meats, whole grains, etc. And I think that's crazy! Are you afraid to eat those things because it will put you over your calorie limit? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Perhaps you should be focusing on your own diary's integrety and nutritional completeness instead of judging others'?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You should put together a food plan to share.