Are you EATING?!

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I just saw my doctor two days ago, and she told me to keep up the good work ... I've been eating this amount for about 3 months ... so far no problems.

In my opinion, talk to a nutritionist and physical trainer, if your doctor isn't one. It is next to impossible to get all your RDA of vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein on so few calories. JUST taking proper pill supplements to reach your RDA of all the minerals and stuff would be, like, 300 calories or something. You ARE losing muscle eating this little AND converting the quick muscle you DO have into slow muscle. Your brain IS suffering and losing mass.

Just FYI, I'm not trying to bully you.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    whereas "OMG can't reach my 1200 calorie goal" topics come across as "look at me me me how little I'm eating!",

this one comes across as "OMG everyone is such a pity party anorexic but me me me I know sooo better"

Noone would have ever gotten fat here if they did not have an unhealthy relationship with food (=not stopping eating when I'm full).

So who draws the line weather a "little emotional" eating is sort of okay but a 1500 kcal meal is a binge so that person is ED? Or how does it work, OP?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I eat food.
    I have a smoothie for breakfast that I make at home with fruit, coconut milk, protein powder and chia seeds.
    If I didn't have that, I probably wouldn't eat breakfast.
    So I'm ok with it.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Okay, from viewing some people's diaries. I feel like no one is really eating anything nutritional or are barely eating at all. I've read so many skimpy diaries that I'm starting to believe some on you guys are on the verge of starving yourselves. Most people are eating, or in this case, drinking supplement or meal replacement drinks for breakfast, lunch or dinner, (sometimes all 3). I mean those are alright but you don't receive any real nutrients from them like you would from a REAL meal, with real vegies, meats, whole grains, etc. And I think that's crazy! Are you afraid to eat those things because it will put you over your calorie limit? Am I the only one who feels this way?

My diary is public, and you can check it out. I eat, I try to net at 1600, high protein, it's hard for me to eat back exercise calories because I'm concerned with macros as well as calories, so trying to balance is hard.
  • Saaaam42
    Saaaam42 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat ANYTHING I WANT as long as it fits my macros!

I think a lot of people eat stuff but don't log it?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat.. i just don't log anymore.

I've logged long enough(and eat the same stuff everyday) that I know what my calorie counts are, and have been maintaing like this for a year now.. going on two.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to crack down on the Anorexia stuff on this site. Technically you can report posts and pro-ana profiles and pictures...but you can't stop people on an internet forum from hurting themselves.

Unfortunately, I think the MFP food and exercise tracking triggers exercise bulimia for some people on this site. (Where you work off almost everything you consume.)

Unfortunately this is true.... Some people get so obsessed with this site that it causes them to develop such problems, out of desperation, boredom, loneliness.... it's sad. And it's very easy on here to find Members with similar habits who will cheer eachother on :-(.

Oh, I know, believe me. I'm taking the new approach of not answering them anymore...just putting them on "ignore" - too many bruises on my head from trying to reason with them. The ability to log each crumb of food and every step they take is fuel on the fire.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat as much as I can without gaining weight.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Okay, from viewing some people's diaries. I feel like no one is really eating anything nutritional or are barely eating at all. I've read so many skimpy diaries that I'm starting to believe some on you guys are on the verge of starving yourselves. Most people are eating, or in this case, drinking supplement or meal replacement drinks for breakfast, lunch or dinner, (sometimes all 3). I mean those are alright but you don't receive any real nutrients from them like you would from a REAL meal, with real vegies, meats, whole grains, etc. And I think that's crazy! Are you afraid to eat those things because it will put you over your calorie limit? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Perhaps you should be focusing on your own diary's integrety and nutritional completeness instead of judging others'?

I was going to say the same thing... Do a lot of people just go poking around random people's food diaries? This is why I have mind private.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing... Do a lot of people just go poking around random people's food diaries? This is why I have mind private.

Yes, they do. If you don't want others to see what you eat you should keep it private.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am not concerned with food putting me over my calories. But I get a little obsessed with going over my macros (carbs, fats,,etc...) and some days I eat less to avoid carbs and fats, no to avoid calories,

(I think my diary is open if you're interestd. My husband took our son and me out to lunch. So there is Taco Bell on today's diary)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Yes, they do. If you don't want others to see what you eat you should keep it private.

I do sometimes. To get ideas. My foods feel boring and and the same old thing often. I thought that was part of the benefit of this site... Open diaries let us find new food ideas and we can see what foods fit our numbers.
  • CoCoSheaCurls
    CoCoSheaCurls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely. I feel like such a pig when I look at some of these food logs, but then I snap back to reality and consider my health. Nutrition is extremely important to me. I feel and look my best when I have nourished my body with lots of good whole foods. While my weight loss will be much slower than most; food is one of my top three pleasures in life and I will NOT give it up. Instead, I choose to eat moderately and incorporate more exercise into my routine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to crack down on the Anorexia stuff on this site. Technically you can report posts and pro-ana profiles and pictures...but you can't stop people on an internet forum from hurting themselves.

Unfortunately, I think the MFP food and exercise tracking triggers exercise bulimia for some people on this site. (Where you work off almost everything you consume.)

I think it's more that they don't read directions and know nothing of how this tool works.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't use substitutes for real food at all. I used to drink shakes and smoothies, never got anywhere with that and was always hungry. I LOVE to chew, lol. The only calories I drink are 1 cup of 1% milk occasionally with dinner and 60 calories total in my morning cup of coffee.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Really?
  • bcattoes
    Options

I do sometimes. To get ideas. My foods feel boring and and the same old thing often. I thought that was part of the benefit of this site... Open diaries let us find new food ideas and we can see what foods fit our numbers.

I wasn't suggesting that there is anything wrong with looking. Mine is also open.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much of an appetite over the past week (ulcerative colitis being a pain), but it came back with a vengeance today, and I stuffed myself silly at lunch-time.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    When I first got here, I thought it was snobby that some people wrote "Conditions" for who they add on MFP. Stuff like "No one who eats under 1500 calories a day." But after 2 months here, I totally get it now! It drives me nuts to see that my friends are eating 700 calories a day, eat more powder/protein bars/chocolate junk than actual food, and NO veggies, fruit or meat.

Just carbs & chocolate shakes all day. Every day. What are you, a 7-year-old? Eat like a healthy adult or else I have nothing nice to comment about on your journal. I just don't have the time/energy to enlighten these people to eat real food or to go for 1200+ calories. They just make up lame reasons for why they eat like that. "I don't like veggies," "Cookie protein bars are tasty!" "I didn't go shopping yet" (But I see you had enough time and $ to buy junk...)

Diets require self-control, determination and CHANGE. You LEARN to try new foods like vegetables. If being on a diet means eating everything you want and having chocolate all day, everyone would be on a diet -___-
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Whose diaries are you looking at? Not to be rude at all, but there seem to be a lot of topics posted along the lines of "I'm having such a hard time eating my 1200 calories" and that kind of thing. Yes, many of those people are going to be eating much less than those of us who don't would have no problem at all eating 1200+ calories and actually think it's healthier to do so. For the record, I have no problem with people eating at or below 1200 if that is their choice; it just gets a tad irritating to hear people constantly complain that they can't reach the goal. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that most of us are here because we had no trouble at all eating more than we should. It's also not hard to figure out what kinds of high calorie yet nutritious foods can be consumed to easily put one at their calorie goal.

All that being said, I don't often look at the food logs of others, but most of the ones I look at are very good and helpful at giving me ideas of different foods to try.

yep