Totally random... pierced ears for baby?

Options

Replies

• JessWolf1002
    JessWolf1002 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My mom got mine done when I was like 6 months old. I don't agree or disagree about doing it young, I personally don't care because it's not my kid. My daughter is almost 2 and hers are not pierced. Truthfully, that's one more thing that I have to take care of and clean and I just really don't want to. I'm waiting until she's old enough to take care of it herself.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I didn't. The ears are not in the position that they will be once they get a little older. My daughter is now 7. Less of the little girls have it done now than did when I was young. If you have her wait until she is old enough to take good care of them, she will be less likely to have long slits from wearing earrings that are too heavy. I told my daughter that when she goes to middle school, she can get them pierced if she wants to.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Circumcision has health benefits. Ear piercing does not.

There is no reason to pierce the ears of an infant. That's just causing unnecessary pain. Will it scar her for life? Probably not. But is there really a reason for it at all? Nope.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mine were done when I was around 7-8 months. I personally wouldn't do it to a child that young (just don't see any reason to, except that it looks cute) but peoples reactions are a little extreme. It's not like you're going to mentally scar your child, and the way children heal, if they decide they don't want them, I doubt it would *physically* scar them either.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You'd be making a permanent body modification to a person who is unable to consent to it.

It's not permanent! I was 18months old when my dad got my ears pierced, he did it without my mum knowing, I can hardly remember it (and even then my "memories" come from being told the story loads) I never had any problems where as my sister was 10 when my parents let her get them done, she had constant problems because she messed while they were healing and had to have them redone as an adult.

It's your choice but I'd rather go through a bit of pain that I won't remember than being aware of what's happening
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

^^ This! I also put circumcision in that category.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hummm, All I know is that is way better for them to have them pierced now rather than latter. She won't remember a thing and is easier for you to keep them clean and prevent infection. I had mine pierced when I was 8 yrs. old and I suffered. My ears got infected and took forever to heal because I touch them constantly. I decided to pierce my daughters ears when she was 5m old and no problems. My husband and I got her custom made earrings that she wears to this day (4 1/2 yrs old).
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the dumb broads over at babycenter.com. Those women are bat sh$t crazy! Fighting over car seats, baby showers, pierced ears.... basically it resembles an insane asylum.

I suspect that at any second now, a fight will ensue because someone thinks that it is inhumane to get ears pierced or that it's torture to get ear pierced or some ridiculous argument.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I personaly do not like how it looks at all, I think it unnecessary pain to put a baby through
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Circumcision has health benefits. Ear piercing does not.

There is no reason to pierce the ears of an infant. That's just causing unnecessary pain. Will it scar her for life? Probably not. But is there really a reason for it at all? Nope.
    Circumcision has health benefits? I don't think any developed country in the world other than America still believes that...
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    I think you should wait. Why does a baby need earrings?
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine until I was 11...my parents made me wait.

I personally didn't want my daughter's pierced as an infant.

Six months before my daughter's 3rd birthday she started asking to get them pierced. After explaining it to her and how it's done and the care involved...I took her to get them pierced for her 3rd birthday. She also knows that I pick out the earrings, due to her age. She's been totally good with it all for over a year now.
  • pamecooper1211
    Options
    Go ahead. It is easier and less traumatic when they are small and they can not take the earings off.
    In South America where I am living, every girl gets their ears pierced while still in the hospital by their nurses (newborns) and it works out perfectly fine. No one I know has ever resented it being done.
    My opinion is different from everyone out there but I got mine done at 4 days of birth and have love my earrings since!
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My mother had gotten my eyes pierced when i was 1-2 and didnt know i have an allergy to the fake metal in earrings. Anyway it fused to my ears and to this day, one side has never closed up even though i havent worn earings 2 or 3 years.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I got mine done when I was 3, maybe 4. It was my decision. I tried backing out when we got there, I think. But, got em done, still have em today- I've even poked some more holes in myself here and there. I like to think I turned out quite stable even though I was put through such an excruciating experience as a youngster. I say let her decide once she's capable if you're worried :smile:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would wait.

Maybe it will be something she wants to work towards, or have as birthday present one day. It could be a neat bonding experience for you to take her when she's older and it might make her feel special or more grown up!

I never wanted my ears pierced when I was younger. I did it when I was 19.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

Jeez, it's pierced EARS folks... as in, those tiny holes that close up automatically if you don't put anything in them.

My daughter had them done as a baby, isn't scarred for life, and she loves them.

Ummmmmm.....comparing pierced ears to circumcision??? Circumcision is a health and hygiene issue. Pierced ears are just for looks. And circumcision isn't really something you'd want to wait until later in life to do. Inflicting pain on a helpless infant just to make them "look pretty" is pretty twisted. You should wait until they are older and able to properly care for them to make the decision themselves whether or not they want to wear earrings.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I waited til my daughter was 1 year old. she's 9 now and loves having her ears pierced.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I had mine done at 5... but thats because I found the phone number and called the lady myself and made the appointment and then she called back and asked my mom if it was ok (I was a little *kitten*)

A friend of mine does piercing she has an absolute NO baby policy because she doesn't like the idea that you force something on your child. Even at 3 she said she only does it if the little one wants them done - she literally talks to the kids and asks if they ar excited to have them done, if the child says "yes but I am scared" she knows they are OK if the kid looks at her and runs behind moms leg she wont do it because the kid isn't ready.

I say wait and let her decide - she may not ever want her ears pierced.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I got both of my girls' ears pierced as babies. They did not cry. They don't play with them. My four year old loves picking out her earrings. I always buy nickel free earrings so they don't have reactions to them, which is the metal people usually react to. Do I feel I have scarred my kids for life? No!