Totally random... pierced ears for baby?

Options

Replies

• OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Jeez, it's pierced EARS folks... as in, those tiny holes that close up automatically if you don't put anything in them.

My daughter had them done as a baby, isn't scarred for life, and she loves them.

Circumcision is a hygiene issue though. It's actually cleaner to circumcise and it's less of a chance for infection.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options
    I am all for piercings, but not on a baby who has no choice in the matter and to cause pain in a baby who is already going through enough just being a baby to then shove metal needles through their ears. I will be waiting until my daughter is old enough to ask herself to get them done and understands that it will hurt and will require care, then if she still wants them then fair enough.
    I am also against circumcision, but do find it a bit extreme putting it in the same class as ear piercing... In saying that though I do feel it is putting your child through unnecessary discomfort all for aesthetics (much like circumcision) . It's pretty sad IMO.
  • monarchangel86
    monarchangel86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got my daughter's ears pierced for her first birthday. I have had my ears pierced since before I can remember and I wanted to have hers done as well. I truly believe that it is totally up to the parents tho.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Should be illegal in my opinion. There's no valid argument for having it done to a child so young it can't make the decision itself.

How many people think this go out and circumcise their boys? And that's permanent!

Jeez, it's pierced EARS folks... as in, those tiny holes that close up automatically if you don't put anything in them.

My daughter had them done as a baby, isn't scarred for life, and she loves them.

Ummmmmm.....comparing pierced ears to circumcision??? Circumcision is a health and hygiene issue. Pierced ears are just for looks. And circumcision isn't really something you'd want to wait until later in life to do. Inflicting pain on a helpless infant just to make them "look pretty" is pretty twisted. You should wait until they are older and able to properly care for them to make the decision themselves whether or not they want to wear earrings.

How is circumcision a health and hygiene issue? I'm sure only Americans think that. The majority of boys don't get circumcised in the UK and they have no issues!

Agreed. My bf is CUban, and it's uncommon there. He's perfectly clean and healthy
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Ummmmmm.....comparing pierced ears to circumcision??? Circumcision is a health and hygiene issue. Pierced ears are just for looks. And circumcision isn't really something you'd want to wait until later in life to do. Inflicting pain on a helpless infant just to make them "look pretty" is pretty twisted. You should wait until they are older and able to properly care for them to make the decision themselves whether or not they want to wear earrings.

How is circumcision a health and hygiene issue? I'm sure only Americans think that. The majority of boys don't get circumcised in the UK and they have no issues!

WebMD:

What are the benefits of circumcision?

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I say wait until she's able to make that decision on her own. That's what my Mom did with me and my sister and I like it better that way. My Aunt pierced my cousins ears when she was a baby and she had to get the redone because, obviously, her ears grew lol
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    I say go for it if that's what you want to do. My parents waited with me, but only until I was four. Just before my fourth birthday I guess I decided that I really wanted mine done and my parents took me to go do it. My only concern with piercing a baby is how they are going to change as she grows........ I have never heard anything about it, but I would assume that there's a chance that she could grow and the piercings won't be where they should be. Babies with earrings are cute, though!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Latin America rolls its eyes at all of you.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options

Circumcision is for looks...ask any dr.

And my girls cried way more over putting on tights than when they got their ears pierced. Lol
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Mine were pierced when I was a few months old 63 years ago. My daughter's were pierced when she was 8 months. It was my mom's decision, and my decision. My daughter pierced her daughters when she was 6, and her son's when he was 16. Different people have different ways.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options

Circumcision is a hygiene issue though. It's actually cleaner to circumcise and it's less of a chance for infection.

That is a widely accepted myth. There is no evidence and it is easier to keep an uncircumcised penis clean and healthy, especially right up until puberty as the foreskin is usually still fused.
  • Ginsey31
    Options
    My daughter had (and still has) super short hair. She was always mistaken for a boy and people suggested I pierce her ears to avoid that. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do anything that I knew would cause her pain, even if just for a moment. I had my ears pierced as a young adult so I remember the discomfort.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Circumcision is for looks...ask any dr.

And my girls cried way more over putting on tights than when they got their ears pierced. Lol

WTF? :huh:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    From pierced ears to circumcism.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have three daughters. 17, 14 and 12.
    The 17 y/o got hers done at 12 after years of asking. No problem.
    The 14 y/o tried to do it at 12 and got infections two different times. They are closed up now and she wants to try again.
    The twelve year old has no interest whatsoever of getting it done.

If you do it as a baby they will hurt for a few minutes but she will blissfully be unaware of them after that and not mess with them. They will probably heal nicely because of it.

That being said I suppose that is not a good enough reason to do it. The risk of infection is still there.

One thing is that, it seemed like a big girl thing to do and it was a special day that I got to share with my daughters.

Enjoy your baby
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Trauma aside, your ears can grow differently and what is a centered earring hole for a baby may be really uneven when they're older.
  • Crystalagain22
    Crystalagain22 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I knew from the time I was 4 years old that I wanted earrings, my Dad didn't let me until I was 16. That whole time I never changed my mind. Now that I have a daughter of my own (2years old) I don't feel right piercing her ears, I feel it's her choice. If she's only 4 and wants them i'll let her, but I won't do it for my own wanting just because it's cute. It's different for everyone, but that's how I feel :)
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Do what you will, but keep this in mind:

1. A piercing is basically a wound. It will need time to heal, and will have to be cleaned EVERY day, about 3 or 4 times a day.

2. It can get infected pretty easily if not careful, you would have to keep your daughter from grabbing her ears or pulling on her lobes so no germs/bacteria gets in there.

3. Please DO NOT take her to get it done by some teenager at the mall. These people get maybe an hour training on stuffed animals with guns that can't be fully sterilized after each piercing. Go to an actual piercer, or a doctor will do it too. Basically, if the place doesn't smell like a hospital when you walk in, don't get her pierced there!

4. Is putting her through this worth it so she looks "pretty"? She's five months old, she's cute with or without the earrings.

I never had mine done until I was twelve. It was basically a coming of age thing with my family, a sign I was no longer a little girl. "Okay, you're 12! You're now a young lady." and my birthday present that year was different earrings I could wear once the piercing healed. Plus I was really proud of myself for overcoming my fear and I loved showing my newly pierced ears off.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I pierced my daughters when she was only 4 months old. she never touched them or bothered with them becuase i got real gold and the safety backs, they say its better when they are little becuase they dont grab at them but its your decision. I understand where everyone is coming from on waiting. but what girl doesnt want their ears pierced seriously. and I had mine done when I was a few months old and I dont even remember the pain at all I had a secound hole done at about 14 and i remember that.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options

WebMD:

What are the benefits of circumcision?

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
    A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
    Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
    Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
    Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

If a problem develops in the future and there is a medical reason to remove it, by all means, but that is like saying I'll just remove my childs ears because they are prone to infections. :-/
    The sole purpose of a foreskin is to keep the penis clean and safe from bacteria. It's pretty self explanatory.