Totally random... pierced ears for baby?

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    My girls were born in a society where piercing babies ears is normal. They both were done around 2 months. I don't consider this out of the ordinary. Both my granddaughters were also pierced before 4 months. If they don't want to wear earrings when they get older, then they don't have to. I guess it is whatever you are comfortable with.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    In the end, it's your decision, you feel comfortable doing it or you prefer waiting for your daughter to make that decision. I got my first ear piercing done when I was 2 months old, at that time, it was done in a doctor's office with a needle, not a punch. Punch hurts more than the needle, also, it takes time to heal and might get infected, are you ready to take care of it a couple times a day, like cleaning, turning the earrings on themselves, etc. Looking at both sides will help you make a decision.

And for the record, I was not traumatized, didn't cry and I got 7 more over the years between 14 and 30.

People will have their opinion, it's ok, do what's best for your daughter and yourself. I still don't know what I would do if I had a daughter, it will come in time.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    I definitely had no idea so many people were against baby ear piercing. Interesting.

I was surprised too!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything morally wrong with having your baby's ears pierced. I just don't understand why any mother would want to deal with it! It was hard enough for me to keep my freshly pierced ears from getting infected when I was 18! And I think about how they could get caught on things and how injuries could occur when kids play around...and it just doesn't seem worth it.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    CHILD ABUSE !!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, REALLY? !
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I just don't think it's that big of a deal to wait. I got mine done at 10 after a few times chickening out and it ended up being kind of a rite of passage in a cool way. I remember it fondly, not as being painful. And I got to choose to do it myself, which is important, I think.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had mine done when I was 3...I had really wanted them because my aunt had hers pierced. My mom didn't want me to get it done (she's 60 and doesn't have them). My grandmother was a nurse and pierced them with a needle...don't remember it. When I went to school they wouldn't let me wear them so they healed up. We came to the US and I had them redone again at 9. I love having my ears pierced.
    On the other hand my daughter is almost 3 and I really want to pierce her ears but she regularly gets exema behind her ears and I'm not sure how one would effect the other so I'm waiting until she is a little older. MIL is very against her having it done at this age too (and she's my babysitter so she would be responsible for keeping it clean and she would but I hate to ask her to do it when she's so against it).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    No No No No No.No No No No No.No No No No No.No No No No No.No No No No No.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    we pierced my daughters ears at 6 months on the recommendation of my sister in law who is an RN. when they are little like that, they are less likely to touch and play with them and less prone to infection.

however, my daughter is now 6 and it's a struggle to get her to wear them. :ohwell:
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    I have a 2 year old girl and i say NO to piercing!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I definitely had no idea so many people were against baby ear piercing. Interesting.

Never ask a bunch of internet people about anything related to child-rearing. EVERYONE has an opinion on it.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Is there logic to having it done? Some cultures do piercings at birth. I like the idea of wait until they are old enough to decide. My little cousin asked for her ears to be pierced when she was 5...my aunt said no, but most of her friends were getting theirs done, so she let her do it...but she decided, not her mom.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My ex husband's mother was adament about getting my daughter's ears pierced when she was a baby, because 'it's so cute'. Umm...no, it's really not. I did not allow it to be done and she's 5 now. She says she does not want them done. When she decides she's ready, that's when we will do it.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I don't have children of my own so my opinion is colored by personal experience....

Just think about it. It takes six weeks to heal. So not only is there instant pain, but the healing pain. And a baby can't have things explained to them, they just know their ears hurt.

I was four when I got my ears pierced. It was a treat because I had just become a big sister. Even at age four I do not remember the pain or having it done BUT apparently I screamed and wouldn't sit for the other side for like an hour and it was generally awful. Even though I have no recollection, I think my mom wouldn't have done it knowing that. AND THEN since I was little I couldn't take care of them myself so they got all infected and I sitll have scar tissue. They used to close a lot. Ultimately at age 19 I stretched my ears and got a double piercing, but I don't think it was worth it to have my ears pierced at the time.
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    My mom had mine pierced when I was a baby and I never had any problems. My niece had hers done as a baby too. I honestly don't think it's a huge issue and I don't know why people tend to get in such an uproar about everything on these boards. It's one thing to have any opinion, but most people just like to judge. As long as she doesn't have an allergy to it, I don't see anything wrong with it. If she gets older and doesn't want them, she can take them out. The holes will close up.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Both my sister and I had ours pierced when we were babies. I've never really thought about it or had an opinion on it. I can see the side of "let them decide when old enough". However, it's a relatively harmless procedure and as a mom, you can take care of the piercings the right way. As with all parenting decisions, it's a personal choice.
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is so wrong! Causing unnecessary pain to a baby and everytime she bumps her ears on you, her carseat, or anything else it's going to hurt and she'll have no idea why. And what if she grows up and doesn't want her ears pierced just because everyone else has it done.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I had mine done when I was a few weeks old. Obviously I don't recall any pain and stuff. But when I was 21 I had my ears pierced again (2nd hole) and they got infected and I remember the pain and stuff I had to do to clear up the infection. On days I don't wear earrings, you can't even tell that they're pierced, my lobes don't sag etc.

*shrug* To each their own.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I suspect that those that have concerns about the earrings being ripped out or pain for days afterward have never had a baby's ears pierced.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got mine done when I was 6. I never left them alone and they were always infected. Because of this, I had my daughter's done when she was a baby. My reasoning was that if they were always a part of her she wouldn't fiddle with them and they wouldn't be so prone to infections. I can see why others would choose to wait. I just asked her if it bothered her that I had them done and her exact words were " are you kidding me? No way! That would hurt!" So, I don't resent my mom for making me wait, and my kiddo doesn't resent me for not letting her make the decision. So I guess either way would seem fine. :smile: