Why do people care about their local sports teams?

Options

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm from Green Bay, Wisconsin. Seriously...it's the Packers and snow. That's all we've got. Don't take it away....
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a game with real diehard fans? It's an entirely different experience.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    “No baseball fan has to explain his mania to any other baseball fan. They are a fraternity. It is less easy, often it is hopeless, to try to explain it to anyone else. You grow technical, and you do not make sense. You grow sentimental, and you are deemed soft in the head. How, the benighted outsider asks you with no little condescension, can you grow sentimental about a cold-blooded professional sport?” --John Hutchens
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Then 15 years ago I moved to Minnesota and went to my first NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB games over time and I can tell you the atmosphere is contagious and just FUN - also the economic impact is HUGE creates jobs, brings in revenue - the owner of a bar in St Paul sent a letter to the NHL commissioner in regards to how much the lockout was hurting his business and the overall income of downtown st paul - It means a LOT to people not only for the fun but for other reasons also!

Lockout definitely hurt businesses here too. The city claimed a new outlet mall would bring people to the restaurants during the lockout but it did not. These businesses are already commenting about how much their business has increased in the week since Coyotes training camp started.
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well... whatever the world's reasons are... mine is I'm from NY and we have the Yankees. Enough said.:tongue:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Plus, the Twins were awesome when I was a kid and it was fun rooting for World Series winners. Now it's kind of sad, but it would feel like treason to root for anyone else.

I will forever be a Twins fan, but when they traded Ben Revere, they lost a lot of my love. T_T
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Have some kids and let them play team sports and then come back and tell us you still don't root for a team.
  • IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am from Manchester. I feel my explanation will suffice. :P

No, I wonder about all you English football nuts most of all.

Haha. I suppose here football isn't just a sport, it's a culture. You go down the pub with your mates and watch the match at the weekend... It's just what you do. :)

And supporting your home team is like supporting your country. I'm proud to be from Manchester, just as much as I'm proud to be from England. :)

United 'Til I Die!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    In Detroit, it's all we have.
    Detroit would be a perfect setting for real life "Running Man" or "The Most Dangerous Game" events.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You know what is FUN is to be in that environment. Cheering on a team. You have the food, a beer. Thousands of other screaming and standing fans.

You might even hug and kiss or high five strangers.

It's hard to explain but there is nothing in the world like it. Fack.. I want to go to a game now.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Sports are just another form of soap opera....

I always called it the original "Reality TV"

before reality TV became less real.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I can KINDA see your point. I understand the need to root for your team and it is always great to be passionate.

But people get too involved (reminds me of some members on MFP honestly). These players honestly most of the time don't even care and would very likely hate you if you try to talk to them. But you see people spending billions of dollars and being violent and in some cases, committing murders over their teams (football world cup. Players got murdered for making a goal against his own team by mistake and causing the team championship)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    You know what is FUN is to be in that environment. Cheering on a team. You have the food, a beer. Thousands of other screaming and standing fans.

You might even hug and kiss or high five strangers.

It's hard to explain but there is nothing in the world like it. Fack.. I want to go to a game now.

I've got to find me some Penguins hockey tickets.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, being raised atheist as well, it's no surprise I have no level of connection to my fellow man. If it wasn't for food, I would have nothing to talk about with anybody.

That's kinda ridiculous to me. I'm an atheist as well, and I love going to sports games and being part of my community.

Being an atheist doesn't make you an outcast unless you choose to be.

Being an atheist isn't what disconnects you from people. I'm like pregosaurus (awesome name btw). I'm an atheist, a sports fan and a community member.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I wish we had local sports teams! Damn hick town.

I root for teams nowhere near me (ex: Steelers), which makes it hard to see the games without crazy expensive cable channels.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Raised a Steelers/Pens fan... friends are Steelers/Pens fans... Town has Steelers/Pens bars...

But we don't talk about the Pirates.....:ohwell:

They're the *kitten* child of Pittsburgh.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a game with real diehard fans? It's an entirely different experience.

Agree. Steelers fan for life!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It has so much less to do with where the players are from than being a member of a community. Attending baseball games is one of my absolute favorite things to do for this very reason. The game is only part of the experience. The banter with the folks around you, the food, giving the umpires hell, seeing who can come up with the wittiest insults -- it's great.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i just think its fun. its fun to have your whole city and outlying areas rooting for the same team.. it makes everyone so happy when they win.

when the giants were in the world series, it seemed like everyone in the bay area had a connection to each other. we were all smiling at each other and saying "go giants!"

for me, i was born and raised on the san francisco teams. i've loved them all my life, even when they sucked. they are my teams.

GO NINERS!!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    When it's baseball season, I bleed red, white and blue.

When it's basketball season, I bleed green and blue

And when it's football season.... I pretend I don't live in Dallas.