Why do people care about their local sports teams?

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You know what is FUN is to be in that environment. Cheering on a team. You have the food, a beer. Thousands of other screaming and standing fans.

You might even hug and kiss or high five strangers.

It's hard to explain but there is nothing in the world like it. Fack.. I want to go to a game now.

I've got to find me some Penguins hockey tickets.

Just meander around Consol. Scalpers everywhere. Although their careers as swindlers have been a little disrupted this year...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It has so much less to do with where the players are from than being a member of a community. Attending baseball games is one of my absolute favorite things to do for this very reason. The game is only part of the experience. The banter with the folks around you, the food, giving the umpires hell, seeing who can come up with the wittiest insults -- it's great.

Ditto.

I love baseball games!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    For fun. Why do you do the things that you like?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I'm a sports nut.
    I grew up playing sports competitively and for fun; baseball, soccer, football, basketball, tennis, racquetball, golf, track, BMX and motorcycles. I have an appreciation as to what it means to be an elite athlete competing in these.
    I love the action, the competitiveness, the camaraderie, the smell of the field, the excitement the game brings, the thrill of watching your team win.
    The memories of my parents or older brother taking me to games or Stadium Supercross races are priceless.

My local team or the team I like regardless of where they are is the team I want to win.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Local teams bring in a TON of money to the local economy especially professional and Division I NCAA teams in America. We're talking several hundred million dollars per year here. Not chump change. Most of that money is also taxable so it's good for state and local government income as well.

It's also fun to be able to go out on a weekend to a sporting event and enjoy the crowd and the energy of a good game.

Exactly!! Moving a local major sports franchise to our city helped us fare much better during the economic down turn than most of the surrounding cities that were laying off people and cutting pay.... While I'm not a fan of the team or it's owner... I am happy it's here... We get tons of Hotel/Conference/Resturant taxes from it... in addition to the sales taxes.... because the sports teams that bring the men and boys will also drag the shopping women and girls (Yes, this is a generalization and is not representative of ALL people that go to sports games and drag their families along, I am fully aware that women and girls also go to and enjoy sports games.... again it is an overgeneralization and I realize this... before people get panties in a twist)

Not to mention that sports teams create a community... a commonality.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I found this online:
    "Some people watch and mock at the fact that people watch sports so religiously but they have not experienced it. Many go as far as to say, "it is a waste of time". The connections that many have to sports is in fact like a religion, not in the sence of worshipping the sport, but in the way of being involved because of the togetherness, and family that it represents."

Gotta say, being raised atheist as well, it's no surprise I have no level of connection to my fellow man. If it wasn't for food, I would have nothing to talk about with anybody.

I really don't care much about spectator sports either but I don't actively seek to be anti-social either. I mean, I rarely make fun of Star Trek conventions and video games. Well at least not on tech sites. So when I do go to ball games its usually for the beer and friends.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    And when it's football season.... I pretend I don't live in Dallas.

and so does Romo!! haha - My husband is a DIEHARD cowboys fan!
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    When it's baseball season, I bleed red, white and blue.

When it's basketball season, I bleed green and blue

Hahaha!! I avoid that area like the plague... which is easier now that I don't live just a mere 5 miles from either stadium any more.... driving past Ranger's stadium (or any major road near there) during home games is a freaking nightmare.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I really never liked sports much. Watching someone else do something that I don't want to do myself is a little dull for me unless there's a story to follow, and even then I'm pretty picky.

I loved being in marching band, though! Does that count?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

and so does Romo!! haha - My husband is a DIEHARD cowboys fan!
    ROMO MAKES ME RAGE. ARGH.

*ragequit*
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Hahaha!! I avoid that area like the plague... which is easier now that I don't live just a mere 5 miles from either stadium any more.... driving past Ranger's stadium (or any major road near there) during home games is a freaking nightmare.
    That's why I don't drive past The Ballpark in Arlington. I drive to it.

I think you missed my point. I was saying I hate the Cowboys.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    You know what is FUN is to be in that environment. Cheering on a team. You have the food, a beer. Thousands of other screaming and standing fans.

You might even hug and kiss or high five strangers.

It's hard to explain but there is nothing in the world like it. Fack.. I want to go to a game now.

I've got to find me some Penguins hockey tickets.

Just meander around Consol. Scalpers everywhere. Although their careers as swindlers have been a little disrupted this year...

true story
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Why not cheer on the team for the area you live in or have some affiliation with? I'm a Cardinals fan because I've lived in Arizona most of my life and I cheer them on because they are our team. I'm also a Patriots fan because I lived in CT for a few years when I was young and just getting into football and they were the "local" team there. Grew up loving both teams. Why would I cheer on a team like Green Bay? I have no affiliation with Green Bay, Wisconsin, no family there, no friends there, and never even been there.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I will say there's one team I root for that isn't local. I'm not a huge NHL fan (I'm trying but the lockout didn't help any) but I root for Chicago because I have a ton of friends there and I don't give a crap about DC teams :laugh:
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    These players honestly most of the time don't even care and would very likely hate you if you try to talk to them.

Not here in Houston. The professional athletes here get involved in our community. They do lots of community service and donate lots of money. We support them because they support our community, even if they're not from here.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Because . . . Barcelona.

That is all.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Why would I cheer on a team like Green Bay? I have no affiliation with Green Bay, Wisconsin, no family there, no friends there, and never even been there.

Two words: cheese hats!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

haha this cracked me up
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Just moved to TX from a state with little to no professional teams. I'm excited to adopt the Rangers as my American League team. If you're curious, my NL team is the Diamondbacks. I will not, however, be rooting for the Cowboys. Ew...
  • k8blujay2
    Options

That's why I don't drive past The Ballpark in Arlington. I drive to it.

I think you missed my point. I was saying I hate the Cowboys.

No I got it... and I agree... I have always hated the Cowpatties too... I just like having the stadium here... :D

Jerry Jones needs to seriously consider firing himself.