14 Foods You Should Cut From Your Diet

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Consider the jump in thyroid issues over the last few years. What is causing it?
    If that was known, it would probably be better addressed. but I am GUESSING that Iodine 131 levels from early bomb testings may have mutated into the harvests of the US. Rads are higher in the Mid western states where a lot of foods are grown and raised compared to the coastal areas. Again this is just my GUESS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    My GUESS has to do with the steady decline of saturated fat from our diets as a whole, actually.

Agree also with whoever said testing methods also make it look like more people have it now when on reality it is just more people getting tested. Also there's a disturbing amount of people that pretend they have thyroid problems as of it excuses obesity. But disagree on the moneymaking angle- my thyroid meds cost $40 a year without insurance- with a few exceptions of specialty meds, its cheap to treat.
  • Most of these responses indicate that the article wasn't read. This is not a weight loss list, it's a list of foods that are more likely to be contaminated or be produced unethically.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Most of these responses indicate that the article wasn't read. This is not a weight loss list, it's a list of foods that are more likely to be contaminated or be produced unethically.

I read it and still...I'm not cutting them out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Most of these responses indicate that the article wasn't read. This is not a weight loss list, it's a list of foods that are more likely to be contaminated or be produced unethically.
    No, it's a list of foods you SHOULD CUT FROM YOUR DIET. The article mentions why they should be cut, but no peer reviewed evidence on why. With the exception of a couple of University professors, most of the recommendations are made by naturalists, organic eaters, etc.

There's nothing wrong with eating whole natural foods. But then again there's nothing wrong with eating the 14 foods above either if one accounts for them in their diet correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    I LOVE canned tomatoes!
    (they're just so darn handy for all sorts of recipes!)

now it has me wondering if canned chipotles fall under that same trap?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Nope, I read it. Why not include almonds, cashews, potatoes, cherries etc etc - they are all poisonous in the right (or wrong) dosage. Plus there are incorrect facts in the article.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Thank you for the summary but it was unnessesary. Most of us are quite capable of understanding the OP all by ourselves.
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    **** a pack of splenda a day makes the fat go away

=)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Canned tomatoes? Sprouts???
    Get real, this list is nonsense!

If you read the article, you'll see the reasoning behind each listed food, which does looks quite random as a whole without context. Several of these listed foods make sense.

I HAVE read the article and I STILL say that it's nonsense.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Although the bioethics of GMOs are a legitimate concern (especially with Monsanto and patent lawsuits), there is no scientific evidence that a genetically modified crop is more dangerous or less nutritious than a traditionally bred crop. Some genetically modified foods, such as golden rice, provide increased levels of vitamin A and can be used in the third world to reduce the incidence of childhood blindness. If a food crop is modified to lower the incident of pesticide use and the amount of land required for a specific harvest, it's a good thing! There seems to be a lot of scare mongering on this issue, or when any new science comes out.

Although all GMOs should be labeled so consumers can choose what they eat.

I personally grow heirloom vegetables in my garden, because I think it's very cool to own a part of history - a plant that someone cultivated 100 years ago or more. The genetic diversity and uniqueness of my heirlooms trumps those big box store hybrid seeds. Why grow a plain red beefsteak tomato - everyone is growing them - when I can grow pink, yellow, green, white striped, blue, and fuzzy tomatoes in all sorts of shapes and sizes!

I agree with this quote, as do most of the biologists I know.

Also for people that are concerned about BPA, there are some cans that don't have it in the lining. Eden and Amy's. I eat canned foods that have BPA (in small quantities it is fine for adults), but tomatoes are acidic and they do draw from the can lining. Just as you can cook with tomatoes in a cast iron pan to increase your iron. This is an issue within the FDA, and has been banned in products for babies and in many countries. I can understand why someone that has had hormonal disorders might want to keep it in mind (not saying you have to and it certainly depends on what the disorder is). I don't think people should be afraid of food, but it's also ok to make your own choices in whatever ways you want. It's no big deal.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    No.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    More health threatening links reported:

Study finds eating chicken noodle soup better in glass bowls
    But a new report in the journal JAMA finds that eating hot food from melamine dishware can expose kids and adults to large amounts of melamine.

Long-term low-level intake of melamine has been linked to kidney stones in both children and adults; and in 2008, melamine-tainted baby formula (causing an especially high dose) was linked to six deaths and 50,000 hospitalizations related to kidney stones and kidney disease in China.

• Anything in moderation, that's what I stick by!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Good thing cocaine isn't on that list! Now if you'll excuse me...
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    An alternative list:
    Don't eat endangered species.
    Don't eat food that's been produced using child labour.
    Don't eat food that has been produced in the ashes of the rainforest.
    Try to cut down on food that's crossed continents to reach you.
    Try to cut down on food which can't be reproduced in your own kitchen, because they require industrial equipment and mysterious chemicals.

I am sure there are several "food groups" I have forgotten, but except from what I am allergic to, these are the foods I really try to avoid.

exactly! and i agree most strongly with the last one
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    so no Mcdonalds but it's okay to go to Burger King, Taco Bell and Wendy's? Wow, Yahoo, your articles are so informative and helpful...NOT!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 336 Member
    Chain restaurant ice cream? But i love friendly's ice cream!!!! Nope, i will still have that from time to time. Lol

oohhh...a Coffee Fribble! Man I miss those!
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Never eat foods you don't like, or endangered species because then the psycho eco -freaks (like me) will find you.
    So I take it you don't want my recipe for Panda stew?
  • Thanks for the info.
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Me and bread are homies.
    You can catch me sniffing the loaves in the bakery section, it's our 'hello, how you doin'?' thing.

lol