Need to help as what I'm doing is not really working

Options

Replies

• Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Lean Fish is a good protein with low calorie cost. Mabye you can up your protein and lower fats. I try to eat my fats with things like avacado's, fatty fish (like salmon), nuts and milk products (like yogurt). I *try* to eat more protein then anything else though my breakfast is mostly carbs.

Play with your micros and see if you can find a good balance that puts you in your calorie goal.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    OP - so let's see if we can summarize this. You lost weight before eating 600-900 calories per day and doing a bunch of cardio, lost a whole bunch of lean body mass in the process, and now have a high level of body fat. The extreme calorie restriction messed with your metabolism and the loss of lean body mass exacerbated it further. You went back to a higher caloric intake and gained weight - because your metabolism is depressed - and a lot of it was fat since you weren't working out. Now you've been back at it for just over two weeks and say you've tried "everything" - but so far what "everything" has been is eating at an extreme deficit again and further deepening the deficit by doing a bunch of cardio - again depressing your metabolism and causing more loss of lean body mass. Can you see where you're just spinning your wheels?

Probably the best thing you could do is take a break from dieting for a couple weeks in an effort to get your body functioning at some degree of normalcy again (read this link for the how and why of it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html), then get back to it, setting your caloric intake at a reasonable level (read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets) and incorporating strength training into your routine. Doing what you're doing is counterproductive and it's doubtful that you're going to be able to starve your way out of it.

If only she would listen to you. I learned the hard way, ate at 1200 calories for months, did tons of cardio, lost muscle. Had to do a metabolic reset, gain weight back, and start all over. Please, listen to this poster, he/she knows what they are talking about. Quit being in such a rush to see a lower number on a stupid scale or you will pay the price later in life.
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do six weeks to omg
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am trying to listen but nobody is really listening to me, that's what's frustrating!!!

I GAINED all my current weight by eating what you are recommending! I didn't eat 3000 calories per day and gorge on food I ate what most people would consider to be normal most days! The only real difference was probably that I ate more carbs than I am trying to now although I have always tried to keep my carb intake lower than most.

I ate about 1400-1600 calories on average and on days when I didn't watch my calorie intake at all I was eating more like 1800 at a guess. This caused me to gain fat slowly which is now why I need to lose it! Hence the reason why I decided to cut my calories down based on what so called scientific methods on many fitness websites have recommened based on my measurements and current statistics! I ate 1400-1800 calories non-stop for over 2 years, not just 1 or 2 months so I KNOW this isn't going to prevent me gaining more weight.

I have read all your posts in this thread, so I am trying to listen :) I have tried most of the popular methods (diet & exercise) on myself plus quite a bit of reading and research. Here is the simple thing that it still comes back to.. In order to drop fat, more calories must be burned than calories consumed. If fat is not coming off for weeks at a time when you are 30+% body fat, then you are simply eating too much. People here will want to argue that fact, but I doubt the arguments will come from the people who have gotten ripped.

Eat below your BMR.
    Do NOT add back in exercise calories. Consider them a bonus.
    Whatever your calorie count for the day is, just add 10% to it to catch the margin of error (package contents are not always accurate and we tend to want to underestimate what we actually eat).
    Do not be afraid to fast. Great way to create a calorie deficit and the more you do it the easier it becomes.
    I go through many days fasted and lifting heavy weights and feel fine.

Good luck!

Oh I think you totally listen to the NEWBIE instead of the people who are successful, makes so much sense.

Rice is gluten free by the way.

If you do not want to listen to those who have been successful, start your thread that states: HEY newbies, what do you think and come back when you are ready to listen to people have been successful.

Such a helpful reply. Thanks.

And encouraging her to starve herself is a much better approach.

She said she is really full on 1300 calories. I recommended she eat below her BMR of 1400. I in no way encouraged starvation. Your replies have been either dishonest or ignorance.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am trying to listen but nobody is really listening to me, that's what's frustrating!!!

I GAINED all my current weight by eating what you are recommending! I didn't eat 3000 calories per day and gorge on food I ate what most people would consider to be normal most days! The only real difference was probably that I ate more carbs than I am trying to now although I have always tried to keep my carb intake lower than most.

I ate about 1400-1600 calories on average and on days when I didn't watch my calorie intake at all I was eating more like 1800 at a guess. This caused me to gain fat slowly which is now why I need to lose it! Hence the reason why I decided to cut my calories down based on what so called scientific methods on many fitness websites have recommened based on my measurements and current statistics! I ate 1400-1800 calories non-stop for over 2 years, not just 1 or 2 months so I KNOW this isn't going to prevent me gaining more weight.

I have read all your posts in this thread, so I am trying to listen :) I have tried most of the popular methods (diet & exercise) on myself plus quite a bit of reading and research. Here is the simple thing that it still comes back to.. In order to drop fat, more calories must be burned than calories consumed. If fat is not coming off for weeks at a time when you are 30+% body fat, then you are simply eating too much. People here will want to argue that fact, but I doubt the arguments will come from the people who have gotten ripped.

Eat below your BMR.
    Whatever your calorie count for the day is, just add 10% to it to catch the margin of error (package contents are not always accurate and we tend to want to underestimate what we actually eat).
    Do not be afraid to fast. Great way to create a calorie deficit and the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Good luck!

Oh I think you totally listen to the NEWBIE instead of the people who are successful, makes so much sense.

If you do not want to listen to those who have been successful, start your thread that states: HEY newbies, what do you think and come back when you are ready to listen to people have been successful.

She said she is really full on 1300 calories. I recommended she eat below her BMR of 1400. I in no way encouraged starvation. Your replies have been either dishonest or ignorance.

Why would you advise her to eat below her BMR? Is she continues to do that she will lose yet more lean muscle over time and only further her problems.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Believe me I've tried it all!

In your OP you said you started Jan 2 with the calories of 900+ and then upped it. HOw long have you given it to work. That's only two weeks... not a lot of time, imo.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The issue with eating below your bmr is it will adapt and burn less. When you repair your metabolism you need to slowly increase calorie consumption. This will allow your body to start working harder to burn calories... will you gain some weight? Yes.... and will it take a long time? Yep but the quicker you actively work to correct the issue the better things will get over time. Constantly suppressing it more will only lead to more issues.

Ideally, even if she adds a hundred calories a month and pushes the weight training and protein, she will be able to fully recover..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon if you read what I said about weight training it's not an issue. I have a fully equipped home gym in my garage so I have enough free weights, resistence bands and a multigym to do whatever I am asked plus space to use a bench, mat or whatever.

Sorry misread that part...
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Eat below your BMR.

Good luck!

My replies have in no way been dishonest or ignorant. I encourage anyone to follow the guidelines that MFP recommends because it works. Period. I have seen several posts from OP who complains that she is not losing. I would never advocate someone eating below their recommendation MFP recommends. I know for a fact eating less than 1200 calories will cause great harm, my mom lost her hair doing similar. I have been here for 2 years. I have been successful. I always followed MFP guidelines and eat exercise my calories back. I feel great.

MFP builds the deficits into the program. Eating like supermodels is unhealthy and wrong to recommend to anyone.

There is nothing dishonest about it.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    OK - here's the thing. I just ran your (basic) numbers through scooby

BMR: 1580

TDEE (and this is desk job - sedentary, no exercise) 1896 - would be higher given you are doing cardio (don't do so much cardio - do weights)

Calorie goal at 20 per cent reduction 1517. And as you don't have much to lose you are probably better doing a 10 per cent redution)

So I have no idea where you are getting your numbers, but they are wrong.

You have stuffed your metabolism. Check out eat more to weight less, learn about metabolism reset, then come back to us in 6-8 weeks. And please, you are 39, not a child, if you ask for advice, listen to it.

And, seriously, comparing yourself and your diet to that of a supermodel is just all kinds of ****ed-up. Supermodels tend to not be healthy (sure they are thin), because a diet of cocaine and cigarettes isn't good for anyone.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat below your BMR. Its a baseline number for what you need with no activity at all. Eating below BMR will not help you in the long run. You need to deduct about 20% from your TDEE for fat loss. Seriously try the scooby site. You say you've tried everything so you have nothing to lose by trying a new approach surely?

^ Affirmative
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    OP - so let's see if we can summarize this. You lost weight before eating 600-900 calories per day and doing a bunch of cardio, lost a whole bunch of lean body mass in the process, and now have a high level of body fat. The extreme calorie restriction messed with your metabolism and the loss of lean body mass exacerbated it further. You went back to a higher caloric intake and gained weight - because your metabolism is depressed - and a lot of it was fat since you weren't working out. Now you've been back at it for just over two weeks and say you've tried "everything" - but so far what "everything" has been is eating at an extreme deficit again and further deepening the deficit by doing a bunch of cardio - again depressing your metabolism and causing more loss of lean body mass. Can you see where you're just spinning your wheels?

Probably the best thing you could do is take a break from dieting for a couple weeks in an effort to get your body functioning at some degree of normalcy again (read this link for the how and why of it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html), then get back to it, setting your caloric intake at a reasonable level (read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets) and incorporating strength training into your routine. Doing what you're doing is counterproductive and it's doubtful that you're going to be able to starve your way out of it.

^Brilliant! Good post!
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Options
    Oh wow, moody_70 is giving horrible advice. It may be well-meaning, but it's. It's just more of the thinking that got you (and me, and several others) into quite a weight loss pickle.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A woman who is 5'4".... Ideal Weight Range: 107.8 - 145.7 lbs

You are NOT overweight at this point.

You should not be eating less than 1407 per day as that is your BMR - the number of calories your body would need to sustain itself in a coma state.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Since it is clear you are going to negate any advise given to you

2romgys.gif
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

100% this. The reason you have so much body fat at such a low weight is not because you need to lose more weight. It's because you lost all of your lean body mass when you starved yourself. You're not going to look the way you want to if you continue down this road. You need to start eating again. Yes, you'll gain some weight back but it will be worth it to be healthy.

Also, get off this internet forum and go see a doctor.
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    Just an FYI, some "instant rices" aren't gluten free because the "polishing agent" contains gluten. Go with long grain brown rice - the REAL stuff and you'll be safe.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, some "instant rices" aren't gluten free because the "polishing agent" contains gluten. Go with long grain brown rice - the REAL stuff and you'll be safe.

Bottom line though - don't think gluten is the problem at all. The problem is she has been starving her body for so long that when she eats a little bit more all her organs go "Yippee! Fuel, we are gunna hold on to this so we are ready for the upcoming famine".
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

Bottom line though - don't think gluten is the problem at all. The problem is she has been starving her body for so long that when she eats a little bit more all her organs go "Yippee! Fuel, we are gunna hold on to this so we are ready for the upcoming famine".

Agreed the gluten is probably not the issue. I just learned that instant rices aren't always gluten free (hubby has celiac's) and thought it is an important tidbit for any other suffers out there who might be wondering why they are still having issues when they are eating "rice."

Eating long term below your BMR will cause your metabolism to slow. OP needs to eat a LOT more than she has been to fix it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am Celiac and have not seen a rice yet that has gluten. But I am sure there is some out there.

My point, almost every thing I eat has rice and it is all gluten free. Do not discount rice as a gluten item generally, but check the labels.

I agree, you may want to go to the doctor or a nutritionist.

If I sounded harsh in anyway, my apologies. My point is that there is no short cuts, you need to eat the proper amount, MFP works the deficit in for you, and use there program. It works.