Healthy diet, no vegetables???

Options
I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there like me who really wants to have a great healthy diet but doesn't eat any vegetables? I love potatoes and can eat peas but don't like them very much. Any other vegetable I've tried I don't like. I'm a pretty plain eater but love pasta, eggs, chicken, cheese etc. Any ideas on nice recipes or dishes I can make that's gonna be helpful for weight loss? :) Any advice would be great! :)

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There are very few absolutes in nutrition, but veggies ain't optional.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Learn to love vegetables.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Chop them up fine and stick them into your meals. I never liked most vegetables (I still don't like a lot of them) but I tried cooking them certain ways and found that I do like them just only a certain way. Play around with trying them differently, whether it be cooking style or seasoning.

For example, I don't like raw cauliflower but I love it roasted w/ some garlic salt, olive oil, & pepper or mashed up.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nope. Suck it up and make yourself like veggies. I used to hate peppers but I made myself eat them every day for a week, now I love them. You body needs vegetables, they arn't optional. Pasta, cheese etc, your body can do very well and easily without.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Try new ways of cooking them. Steamed and raw veggies are often tasteless, but they are really great for getting in necessary nutrients to your diet.

Pintrest has a ton of great recipes with vegetables.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try eating them different ways and keep trying them. Tastes change over time. Veggies also taste different depending on how they are cooked.

Vegetables are part of a healthy diet as they provide many vital vitamins and minerals that your body needs.

Try hiding veggies in things. Cut them up really small and add things like onion, peppers, carrots, tomatos to sauces and other dishes.

Try them steamed, boiled, sauteed, baked, etc. Make a pizza and put veggies on that and see how you like it. Stuff a chicken breast with things like broccoli.

Experiment with spices to make them taste better. Experiement with how you cook them. Dip veggies in dressing.

You have to learn to like them... or at least learn to eat them.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You don't like ANY veggies?! Could you try to explore more to see if there are some that you like but just haven't tried? There's a whole load of vitamins and nutrients in veggies, you gotta give them a go!!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is "yes, probably" but then I think overwhelming science is against the idea.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yep, learn to love them...
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Learn to love vegetables.

This

One more thought, maybe do an internet search on how to get children to learn to like or eat vegetables.
    Follow advice.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Nope. Suck it up and make yourself like veggies. I used to hate peppers but I made myself eat them every day for a week, now I love them. You body needs vegetables, they arn't optional. Pasta, cheese etc, your body can do very well and easily without.

^^^ this , the more the better!!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steaming or gilling them rather than boiling them?

And I find it hard to believe you have tried every type of vegetable and hate them all, the all taste so different!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am not a veggie lover. I put spinach and kale in my smoothies. I make pumpkin bread and pumpkin cheese cake. I put green onions in my miso. Canned tomatoes in chili and spaghetti. I use eggplant instead of noodles in lasagne. I dip raw broccoli in dip. Anywhere I can sneak them in.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I too hate vegetables. I can only eat carrots (raw) and radishes. All of the others make me gag, no matter how I try and disguise them.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    you HAVE to eat vegetables. fruit helps too. learn to roast veggies. i roasted some butternut squash with chopped carrots, and onions the other day in some olive oil and it's SO GOOD. i don't like onions but this makes them very sweet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OK - potatoes & peas ...... these are starches (think more along the lines as BREAD .... not vegetables ... corn too).

Keep trying to incorporate veggies ...... steamed, roasted, raw, stir fried ..... they say it can take children up to 20 times before liking the taste of some foods.

Veggies are (generally) low calorie, low fat, high fiber and filled with nutrients ..... there must be at least 1 or 2 you can tolerate.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Having to eat your vegetables is one thing your parents didn't lie about.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You can very easily hide vegetables in your food if you want to include more or have more fruit. Also saying you don't like vegetables might just mean you haven't found the type you like or cooked it the right way. I love mushrooms grilled on a pan, red peppers raw (they go so disgusting cooked), carrots in any way, asparagus boiled but once tried to grill them and couldnt eat them. So its about experimenting and finding what you like. most people don't mind trying out a new sweet or chocolate bar, yet are terrified of trying some new vegetables or fruits or different ways to cook them. Be open minded and don't think all vegetables taste the same.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    veggies are SOOOO good for you and soooo low in calories....learn to season them right! you just haven't had them served properly!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Vggies are a staple in my house, and my husband hated them, well he learned to like them, I started off by adding them in soups and stir frys, in small pieces.