Healthy diet, no vegetables???

Options

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    IMO veggies aren't an optional addition to a healthy diet. If I were you I would try experimenting with different ones and try different cooking methods. Roasting squash, beets, & carrots brings out their sweet flavor. Grilling veggies gives them a whole new taste too. Also, the veggies don't have to be plain. Add chopped up veggies to an omelette. Make soup with veggies in it. Make a cheese sauce to drizzle on brocolli and cauliflower (that's how I get my kids to eat them). There are tons of ways to get your veggies and it may just mean that you have to retrain your taste buds! Good luck!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My husband used to be anti-veggie. He would eat potatoes and corn and that was it. When he discovered that his crazy hard Crossfit schedule was not doing him any good with his heavy, fatty, calorie-loaded meals, he decided diet was the key. He started trying veggies and found out how he liked them cooked. Now he'll eat anything but brussell sprouts.

You have to get over it. Roast them, grill them, put them in the crockpot with meat. Make yourself like them. If you absolutely must, steam and puree them and put them in sauce.
  • MicheleVer2
    Options
    Put them in a blender with tomato sauce. You can easily hide vegetables in pasta sauce and you won't even know they are in there. Completely puree them so you can't feel any chunks.

You need vegetables. You need A LOT of vegetables.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    put them in a food processor or puree them and add them to dishes. You won't even know they're there. You need the veg
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    While i believe you can eat at a caloric deficit and lose WEIGHT without vegetables i would be too afraid to cut out veggies for the lack of micronutrients/vitamins you would get from them...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    do some experimenting not only with different vegetables, but different methods of preparation...I used to hate broccoli but now I love it...I used to always have it steamed and then started roasting it with some olive oil and garlic...now, YUM! I'm also a big fan of greens, in particular kale and also very fond of spinach...while I don't really like these raw (or much of any veggie raw, which is why I despise salads), I love them lightly wilted with just a little red wine vinegar at the end to give 'em a zing. I eat a serving of greens pretty much every day. Also consider roasted onion and tomato wedges with olive oil. Sauteed snow peas and radish is another favorite of mine. Olive oil roasted asparagus topped with fresh shredded Parmesan is excellent as well.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great lover of veg...I couldn't sit and eat a salad but I find ways of getting them into my diet. I add some sweet leaf salad to meals and I love beef casserole and homemade broth, the meat makes it easier to eat. I also enjoy chicken fajitas or chicken and prawn paella with loads of peppers and onions, things I never thought I would like but I do now. I'm not saying to force yourself to eat them at every meal, that could turn you the other way, but try a little bit each time and it does get easier and you will start to enjoy them.

Believe me I know exactly how you feel and people telling you just to get on with it doesn't help but if we want to be healthy for life, these are changes we have tot try and make.

Feel free to add me and I'l help you all I can x
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE veggies, but then I realized it was just because my mother was a terrible cook. For real. A big scoop of mushy veggies on a plate. :sick:

Now I eat a LOT of veggies. I actually juice them so I can get a LOT of extras too. Just keep TRYING them all different ways. In soups, in salads, in stirfries, blended up and put in sauces. Make a nice refreshing salad with half romaine and half baby spinach. Throw handsfulls of spinach in your chili. ROAST your veggies with a bit of olive oil, garlic powder and salt... it brings out the sweetness and sooooo yummy. Remember onions and tomatoes are vegetables too dice some small and add to taco meat to kick up your veggie content. Delicious fresh stirfry with some nice ginger flavor.

Winter brussle sprouts and kale are sweeter and lack bitterness.. just because you HATED them in the past, try then in winter and you'll be surpised.

Believe it or not, the more vegetables you eat, the more you start liking them.

Just keep trying them
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I'm not a total veggie lover either but I force myself to eat them. I make a spinach smoothie 3-4 times a week which contains almost all my daily fruit and vegetable requirements, and it tastes good! I try to make a vegetable with every dinner, I eat that first before I touch anything else. Do I like it, no, but I do it anyway.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like veggies but sometimes i'm just too lazy to steam them. LOL!

So I stock my freezer with them frozen steam-able in the bag veggies with the light cheese sauce.
    Quick, easy, tastes awesome, & low cals.
  • Eeyore_Chick
    Eeyore_Chick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sauteed in a little bit of olive oil & garlic...

Zucchini brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt & grilled

Brussel Sprouts sauted in bacon fat (Yes, I said Bacon fat - the real stuff) - with salt & pepper - it gives them a wonderful flavour (& you can cut it with a lighter oil so you are mainly using it for flavour)

Make a tinfoil pouch with veggies, a little nob of butter, salt, pepper, garlic, any other seasonings you like & cook on the BBQ (or when camping the fire)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Nope. Suck it up and make yourself like veggies. I used to hate peppers but I made myself eat them every day for a week, now I love them. You body needs vegetables, they arn't optional. Pasta, cheese etc, your body can do very well and easily without.

^^^ this , the more the better!!

Ditto.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i find it really hard to believe that there are no other vegetables you like. seriously. find different ways to cook them,, eat them raw. hide them in protein shakes/smoothies. a healthy diet incorporates veggies. period.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It takes 18-22 tries to truly decide you dont like something. This why its important to encourage our children to keep trying something even though they didnt like it the first time. My daughter likes all kinds of foods she didnt like the first try. I also like some foods that I didnt used to like because I kept trying it when the opportunity came. I now like beans. I used to hate them. I still dont like brussel sprout but I have tried them about 20 time now so I am pretty sure they are awful. So keep trying them. Vegetables have so many phytochemicals that prevent so many cancers. Its worth it IMO.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I add pureed roasted squash to macaroni and cheese sauce before baking it with ww noodles. Use very flavourfal cheese, like extra sharp cheddar and parmasean, you only need maybe a cup total and my husband and daughter love it.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Learn to love em.

Just reading this post made me crave some broccoli. I eat at least 2-3 cups of broccoli a day along with 4 cups of spinach when i make a green smoothie.

Try making green smoothies! They are an awesome way to get your greens in (which are the most important veggie).

Blend:

2 cups spinach
    2 cups kale
    1 small frozen banana
    1-2 cups frozen (no sugar added) fruit like pineapple and mango
    16oz water
    *you can even add half an avocado for some healthy fat and more fiber to help bind the smoothie*

The smoothie will be green, but don't be put off by the color, all you can taste is the banana and pineapple/mango!!
    I have tried it with berries to help with the sugar content, but i was not a fan; at least when i first started making them.

Voila you've just drank a ton of veggies! Use kale as much as possible (you can still mix it with spinach of course), it is king of greens! Soon you'll be able to put less fruit and more veggies and you won't mind the taste!
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i will eat veggies over meat any day. i couldn't imagine not liking them. a good way to hide veggies in meat, though, is with a meatloaf. i've put spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash in meatloaf. chop it small, saute it, mix it with ground meat (chicken or turkey is what i use) soy sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, egg, shredded cheese, spices, and bread crumbs. bake it and serve it with potatoes. it should feel like a "meat and potatoes" meal, but you're getting your needed veggies also.

good luck.

ps... roasting is my favorite way to eat veggies. it gives them a deeper flavor that can change the way you feel about them. makes many veggies sweet and delicious.

and one other thing that helps... add bacon. cooking veggies with bacon is amazing too.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Try talking to someone with Crohn's disease or colitis. They have digestive problems that prevent them from being able to process most vegetables (or anything that' constitutes a significant source of fiber) naturally or safely. They have to find ways around it. It's not recommended and frankly I think you're being stupid for not trying to accept that learning to love veggies is part of a healthy and active life, but to say there are no ways around it is almost as stupid because there ARE people who--due to medical reasons--have to find ways around it. It's not ideal, it's expensive, and it's a pain, but it CAN be done.
  • lmclellan68
    lmclellan68 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just like you, I have NEVER eaten vegetables or fruit my entire life and I'm 44 years old! I've always been a meat and potatoes girl. I really think it's a mental thing, but I'm trying to get over it. I recently started eating grapes, bananas and pineapple, but that's really all of the fruits I eat. Now for the vegetables....my friend recently told me about Green Giant brand "Just for One" broccoli and cauliflower with cheese. You will find it in the frozen section of your local grocery store. It's 40 calories per serving and it comes in a four pack that you microwave. I just this week bought a pack of each and have eaten it with my grilled chicken breast for lunch everyday this week. I'll have to admit, it is NOT the best thing and I had to chew A LOT to get it down (the cauliflower seemed a bit easier -- probably because it is not green)! I think I like the cauliflower a little better and actually, I try to imagine in my head that I am eating something else so it's not so bad. LOL I really think it's just a mental thing for me because the taste really wasn't that bad, or maybe it's a texture thing. I don't know, but I am right there with you on the no veggies!! I'm so proud now; I feel like I deserve a medal for eating a serving of veggies each day this week! HAHA!!! Good luck to you and believe me I know exactly how you feel! I have managed to lose 50 pounds in a year of not eating ANY veggies and all of my yearly health checkups have been great; however, I work out almost every day and try to watch what I eat and my daily calories and I do take a multivitamin daily, but I have been stuck at the same weight pretty much since summer, so I have decided if I want to go further and lose the rest of this weight, I was going to have to suck it up and get some vegetables in my system. My body is probably in shock! HA!!! Really, just try these frozen "Just for One" trays...it seems to be working for me for now (I've dropped 4 lbs this week - but I've also started a more vigorous workout schedule this week) and hopefully I will branch out and start eating more veggies. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've found that veggies are so much more exciting when they're roasted! Highly suggest. Also, if you're not getting any veggies, I would highly suggest supplementing your diet with something like Shakeology, which has a ton of nutrition and acts as a meal supplement. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

No selling products!!

Shakeology is over priced garbage