Healthy diet, no vegetables???

Options

Replies

• Joyja1075
    Joyja1075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing? Maybe that would be a good start to get those micro-nutrients into your body while you are developing your taste for them. i am 37 years old and haven't ate a single salad until last year so I totally get what you are going through. I had considered canned corn as my only vegetables all my life LOL

Good luck
  • susanlung
    susanlung Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you like fruit or fruit juice? I hear V8 makes a juice that has veggies & fruit, but only tastes like fruit. I've also heard of people who puree veggies and add them to their sauces to "hide" them. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!!!
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Experiment with Green Smoothies. Use Spinach, not Kale! Add banana and you won't even know your doing something good for yourself. Go to Kim Snyder's website for Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    chop them up tiny and cook it into your food, I do that with onions and tomatos and mushrooms because the texture of them make me gag. and if you make them diffrent ways you may like them, like Ive always hated asparagus, 3 days ago I put them on a baking sheet and brushed them with a little vegetable out and garlic powder and baked about 8 minutes, and holy crap they were good, even my 3 and 4 year old loved them
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    i have always disliked vegs but i have used the net to find tons of recipes for different ways to fix them. turns it wasn't the vegs it was the way they were fixed. now some meals are meat free which shocked my spouse and me. do not know if i am supposed to say it here but i use allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com a lot.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Try new ways of cooking them. Steamed and raw veggies are often tasteless, but they are really great for getting in necessary nutrients to your diet.

Pintrest has a ton of great recipes with vegetables.

What she said. If you don't like vegetables it's probably because you have never met someone who knows how to cook well with them.

Try recipes from here:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/2010/03/02/plenty-by-yotam-ottolenghi/
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are a great way to "sneak" veggies into your diet.

There are a ton of recipes on this site: http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/

The more your taste buds adjust the more veggies you can add. Most of these recipes are so fruit heavy, that's all you taste.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    Experiment with Green Smoothies. Use Spinach, not Kale! Add banana and you won't even know your doing something good for yourself. Go to Kim Snyder's website for Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe.
    this is also a great idea, I make them with 1/2 an apple, 1/2 a banana, 1 cup spinach, 1 cup almond milk (regular milk is fine too) and some cinnamon, its realy good
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    suck it up buttercup
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    there are vegetables i love now that i never thought i would've liked. for example, asparagus. i just sautee it with some olive oil until it's bright green then add some salt. now i CRAVE it! like others have said, the more you eat them the more you will like them.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Try switching potatoes for sweet potato, they count as a root vegetable, slice it and roast it in a tiny bit of oil, it's a bit like chips! If you like that next time add a bit of butternut squash, I find when they are roasted they same very similar, that's 2 new vegetables to my collection ( I hate peas!) :flowerforyou:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    wants to have a great healthy diet but doesn't eat any vegetables

For me, learning how to make stir fries out of fresh vegetables was the best way for me to eventually learn how to enjoy lots of different vegies, since it you find one in the stir fry you REALLY and TRULY can't stomach/swallow/stand the texture of, you can always just pick those out.

Juicing fresh vegetables can also make them more easy to eat.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is "NO"! If your motto is "Fit and Fabulous (well, trying to be anyway!) then I would suggest you take the wealth of information the replies have just provided (which are great by the way) & "Just DO IT"!~
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said....and remember that as you get older your tastes change. I love most vegetables, but dark leafy green ones and asparagus made me gag until I learned to sauté them and add some lemon juice or vinegar at the end. It takes away the smell that made me gag. Actually, lemon juice and a sprinkle of good Parmesan are a good addition to a lot of vegetables if you don't like them plain. Try it! And keep trying things you think you don't like. One day you may find that you do.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's not going to go well for you if you don't learn to like some greens veggies! :) Here's why:

http://nutiva.com/articles/nutrition-on-the-run-–-eating-well-in-a-busy-life/
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try putting spinach in a fruit smoothie, you won't even notice it.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Learn to love vegetables.

Yeah, veggies have nutrients that can be hard to find elsewhere. Maybe just experiment with them. Add them to foods that you do like.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As noted, vegetables are not optional. However, if you are like me, then you are allergic to a ton of vegetables (which is really frustrating). Anyway, try looking into some other alternatives such as V8 drinks. If you can't stomach that, try doing stuff like meatloaf, stews, etc. They are great meals in which you can put in a lot of vegetables, but mask the flavor. Check out stuffed chicken recipes as well. TONS of filling that will give you some, not all, of your daily vegetable needs. Good luck!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options

ummm kale>spinach

but i do a mixture of both
  • akh1030
    akh1030 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think someone may have mentioned this, but try the cookbooks or recipes online for parents that "hide" the vegetables in foods. While not necessarily the best idea, we should be teaching kids to like vegetables for what they are, there's nothing wrong with a little sneakiness now and then, especially when you are only fooling yourself. Deceptively Delicious and the Sneaky Chef are two that I've used that actually taste pretty good.