Carb Addict!!!!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

My information sources were medical journals. My advice to not eat a twinkie is harmful? Okay then. Have your win.

I'll take that win, since you were unable to refute anything I said, and instead threw up another strawman (the twinkie comment).

You also need to understand the value of information sources. Primary research, rather than other people's opinions, are the only way to go. When you state things as facts, be ready to back them up. I'd like to see the research that led you to conclude that processed sugar becomes essentially carbon that binds to calcium, etc.

I'll be waiting. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of people claiming addiction for every little stupid thing...

Exercise some self control...it's food...you are not addicted to anything...you lack self control.

Carb addiction isn't a stupid little thing. Please don't insinuate that people on MFP are lacking self control. It is that thought process that makes people quit their goals all together because they feel hopeless. If weight loss was as easy and simple as having the proper self control, less people would be obese. There is more to it than lack of self control. There are real things as withdrawals from sugar and addiction to sugar.

:flowerforyou:

So...you puke your guts out when you forgo your cookie break? Please...pathetic....

Uh, no. You obviously have a very narrow personal definition of addiction.

^^^^^^ TRUTH.

Addiction does, in fact, have a narrow definition.

noun
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I wouldn't say that craving sweets can be equated with severe trauma. Addiction is the latest buzz word that is being thrown around in an effort to shift the blame and guilt that over eating can cause. You all are giving sweets WAY too much power over your lives. Take responsibility for the food choices you make. It really is that simple.

I wish it were that simple.

For some people food is directly connected to emotions that can cause severe habit forming practices. I know this first hand and was almost in patient hospitalized for my addictive issues. Let me paint a picture for you to better understand this. A person craves the things that aren't good for them, something simple like sweets, then immediately feels bad for consuming them. It starts out small, a candy here, a chocolate bar there.. suddenly they realize they are gaining weight which makes them feel horrible which only causes more emotional eating. Now they have to remedy the issue... so they try to reduce eating. It becomes easier and easier to eat less because the see the weight coming off!! But the craving for the sweets are still there, however the affirmation from the weight loss is just as addictive. So what to do? Eat the sweets only find a clever way to dispose of them before destroying the work done to lose the weight. And so you've started an eating disorder... You begin to hate food, you lose muscle, your skin becomes a mess (not unlike that of a heroine addict), your hair starts falling out, you get cramps in your legs and have violent fainting spells... It's only then when you've driven your body into a menopausal state 30 years too early that people intervene to hopefully save your kidney's before they stop functioning.

It took me four years to bounce back from that.

I'm sorry, but unless you've been there? You can't understand what food addictions can really lead to. The mentality is no different then a heroine addict and the consequences can be just as damaging. It's hard to turn the switch off for some people or just "take responsibility for what you eat"... I know is sounds that easy, but that's your experience, not every ones.

ED are a mental illness. Not an addiction issue. I have great respect for what you have gone through, having issues of my own. However, it is harmful to classify mental illness in the context of an addiction to food. Your struggles were the result of an untreated mental illness. :flowerforyou:
  • Terry_L_Simpson
    Options
    I'm a carb addict, too. Those on this list who think carb addiction is just a sweet tooth, or that it's possible to just 'cut out' carbs for a week or two, just don't know what carb addiction is like. It's not that I crave sweets. I like pasta, pastries, potatoes, pizza, bread, rice, corn,- I guess it's all the white foods we're supposed to resist. I can resist - for about half a day. Then I need to get a carb fix or I get irritable. I could actually list in this post the foods I'm willing to eat, but that would get boring for other readers.

The question is how do you recover from a carb addiction. You can't just stop cold turkey - at least, I can't.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

For some people food is directly connected to emotions that can cause severe habit forming practices.

This is the point everyone is trying to get you to understand. The desire to eat food is caused by emotions, not the food itself. You are not addicted to carbs, sugar, or any other food. You are eating in response to an underlying cause not related to food. The problem is the behavioral response, not the food or any chemical within the food. It really is that simple.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

This is the point everyone is trying to get you to understand. The desire to eat food is caused by emotions, not the food itself. You are not addicted to carbs, sugar, or any other food. You are eating in response to an underlying cause not related to food. The problem is the behavioral response, not the food or any chemical within the food. It really is that simple.
    You're just flat out wrong about that -- for some people it absolutely is physical and not mental.
  • 2000chances
    2000chances Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sugar and food addictions can lead to anorexia, bulimia, or other ED's that not only destroy relationships but cause death if not controlled. Sugar addictions eventually cause diabetes, renal failure, obesity, and again... death. I'm sorry, but there is nothing trivial about it.

You stand in a dialysis clinic for an hour and listen to the stories of the people stung to a machine who just "couldn't control their food habits" and tell me how "trival" we're making this.

These are mental disorders in their own right, not food addiction... and especially not sugar addiction. Anorexics, bulimics, etc. really don't care if what they're eating and purging is a carb or not.

Overeating is a behavioural problem at best. It's like saying every problem child has ADHD.

There are likely some people who have an emotional need to overeat, just like there are likely some children with ADHD. It certainly doesn't count for the vast majority of obesity or being overweight.

. Your weight loss and main tangency is a HUGE success. You should be very proud of yourself. You look great!

Sorry son, you haven't lived long enough nor have had a major challenge with obesity. You need to "school yourself" on that last paragraph. Spend some time researching obesity on the web. You'll find that it's a combination if many things...primarily too much sugar :

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.
  • 2000chances
    2000chances Posts: 40 Member
    Options

For some people food is directly connected to emotions that can cause severe habit forming practices.

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of people claiming addiction for every little stupid thing...

Exercise some self control...it's food...you are not addicted to anything...you lack self control.

Carb addiction isn't a stupid little thing. Please don't insinuate that people on MFP are lacking self control. It is that thought process that makes people quit their goals all together because they feel hopeless. If weight loss was as easy and simple as having the proper self control, less people would be obese. There is more to it than lack of self control. There are real things as withdrawals from sugar and addiction to sugar.

:flowerforyou:

So...you puke your guts out when you forgo your cookie break? Please...pathetic....

Uh, no. You obviously have a very narrow personal definition of addiction.

^^^^^^ TRUTH.

Addiction does, in fact, have a narrow definition.

noun
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I wouldn't say that craving sweets can be equated with severe trauma. Addiction is the latest buzz word that is being thrown around in an effort to shift the blame and guilt that over eating can cause. You all are giving sweets WAY too much power over your lives. Take responsibility for the food choices you make. It really is that simple.

For some people food is directly connected to emotions that can cause severe habit forming practices. I know this first hand and was almost in patient hospitalized for my addictive issues. Let me paint a picture for you to better understand this. A person craves the things that aren't good for them, something simple like sweets, then immediately feels bad for consuming them. It starts out small, a candy here, a chocolate bar there.. suddenly they realize they are gaining weight which makes them feel horrible which only causes more emotional eating. Now they have to remedy the issue... so they try to reduce eating. It becomes easier and easier to eat less because the see the weight coming off!! But the craving for the sweets are still there, however the affirmation from the weight loss is just as addictive. So what to do? Eat the sweets only find a clever way to dispose of them before destroying the work done to lose the weight. And so you've started an eating disorder... You begin to hate food, you lose muscle, your skin becomes a mess (not unlike that of a heroine addict), your hair starts falling out, you get cramps in your legs and have violent fainting spells... It's only then when you've driven your body into a menopausal state 30 years too early that people intervene to hopefully save your kidney's before they stop functioning.

It took me four years to bounce back from that.

I'm sorry, but unless you've been there? You can't understand what food addictions can really lead to. The mentality is no different then a heroine addict and the consequences can be just as damaging. It's hard to turn the switch off for some people or just "take responsibility for what you eat"... I know is sounds that easy, but that's your experience, not every ones.

ED are a mental illness. Not an addiction issue. I have great respect for what you have gone through, having issues of my own. However, it is harmful to classify mental illness in the context of an addiction to food. Your struggles were the result of an untreated mental illness. :flowerforyou:

I can't agree with you. First, I wish you'd stop being so condescending, it's "harmful" to treat people with disrespect because you have a different opinion of something. We are all adults here and responding with respect is so much more constructive.

Let me respond to this new rebuttal with the resources you've asked for. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, addiction is (like you've classified ED) is a mental disorder. By definition "Addiction changes the brain, disturbing the normal hierarchy of needs and desires". This is pretty much what ED is.. even by your definition. Having experienced it to a life threatening degree myself? I know what the symptoms were like... You go though the same steps a drug addict does. Lying, denial, relapses, it's not as cut and paste as it appears you're trying to make it sound. Experts across the nation are likening it to addiction, people who study this clinically and unless you happen to be a doctor? I'm inclined to take their word for it. Just one link of many to proof: http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20538012,00.html

Thank you for respecting what I've gone though, but KNOWING what I've gone though is an incredibly different scenario.

To address your other statement... All I had written was taken directly word for word from the resources I found. Wikipedia (one how sugar is processed) Dr. David Reuben (again a doctor, vs. random person/blog on the internet), Joy Dubost, R.D (nutritionist). All of them state that the way fruit and fruit sugars are used are different then candy and cakes sugars. One comes with nutrients the other does not... one is refined sugar is highly concentrated and has additional chemicals. I never said the chemical compound was changed, it's obviously still sugar, but how it's processed impedes the calcium in your system from repairing bones. This was a direct quote from a doctor... and I've absolutely done my research. I'm not saying you have not? But what information we are supplied is what we have to go on and there are so many varied studies and opinions it's difficult to know what is ever right (hell 5-7 years ago eggs were bad).. Anyway, despite all of this no one is going to tell me that Twinkies are better or equal to apples, I know how my body feels reacting to each over those and only one of them is a big No No.

But, like I said, have your win. As much as I enjoy debating, I prefer doing it with people who are open to talking with each other respectfully vs. battling each other with an air of patronizing superiority. This is about helping others not insulting their intelligence.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The problem with debating this sort of topic is that there are no clear answers and no consensus, even among members of the medical community. Moreover whether something is an "addiction" or a "mental illness" or a "craving" or whatever is simply semantics and whatever you call it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. If carbs are your weakness, you may find your weight loss is more successful if you limit your total carb intake, while another person is happier eating 60% of their calories from carbs.

But, as for nikkihk's statements, there are studies to back-up what she's saying. For example:
    American Journal of Epidemiology: 2005
    Ma et al., 2005 completed a one-year study of 572 healthy adults monitoring their diet and physical activity. The study concluded the following.
    In conclusion, results from our study suggest that daily dietary glycemic index is independently and positively associated with BMI [Body Mass Index]. This finding is consistent with the hypothesis that with increased glycemic index, more insulin is produced and more fat is stored, suggesting that type of carbohydrate may be related to body weight. Our data did not support the current public trend of lowering total carbohydrate intake for weight loss or of lowering glycemic load for weight loss, as suggested by other researchers.
    This study refutes the suggestion that total carbohydrate consumption directly correlates with weight loss but does support the notion that the glycemic index of foods consumed correlates with weight loss. The study does not specifically distinguish between nutritive and non-nutritive carbohydrate consumption nor is it clear that any of the diets was ketogenic (a key factor for most low-carbohydrate diets).

--- Yunsheng Ma , Barbara Olendzki1, David Chiriboga, James R. Hebert, Youfu Li, Wenjun Li, MaryJane Campbell, Katherine Gendreau and Ira S. Ockene (2005). "Association between Dietary Carbohydrates and Body Weight". Annals of Internal Medicine 161 (4): 359–67. doi:10.1093/aje/kwi051. PMC 1199523. PMID 15692080.

It's not conclusive and it's just one study, but it's something to consider. If you ask me, I don't think we have a clear answer yet and I tend to avoid many processed carbs myself, but certainly there's plenty of anecdotal evidence out there in people that lose weight while eating plenty of processed carbs.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Okay, well it's not just emotions.. it's more complex then that.

Where does the desire to do drugs, drink alcohol, or smoke come from (the first time you try them)? And when you over indulge in those things.. what happens? Addiction. Many people over eat because they like the way it tastes (which is a chemical reaction with your taste buds and taste receptors), Those tastes are enhanced by insulin spikes which attribute to mood and energy (aka. sugar high.. though not a medical term is very real) when that over indulgence becomes unsustainable for your body it turns to fat (both good and bad) which then can cause real health complications.

I wish this were not the case.. I wish it was just as simple as "control yourself". But it's not. When you lose that ability to stop yourself it's no different then needing another line of coke and it's just as hard to battle, if it wasn't? There wouldn't be an obesity problem in the US. Take one swipe of the internet, there are clinics and retreats for food addictions. It's easier for a person already healthy to dismiss it as self control, I mean I could say the same about a drug addict, "just stop doing it". But unfortunately, that's not reality.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Athletes, bodybuilders et al. have long abused the fact that simple sugars create insulin spikes with no problem with obesity.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    eat real carbs, not junk food
    fruit and veggies are perfect carbs :D
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict. I have my favorites including the sugar sweet stuff too and really there is no quick fix. You are not going to quit craving this stuff overnight. I still have times where I am a hungry hungry hippo and can't get enough food. But in times like that it how you react. Do you go for the whole gallon of ice cream or grab an apple and take a walk. That's what you have to do. I am not going to say with time you will be fine. Because that's not true, if you keep making the right choices your likelihood of loosing is better but even with time you will still have cravings it's a normal thing.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    eat real carbs, not junk food
    fruit and veggies are perfect carbs :D
    What would a "fake" carb be, exactly?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit. One has completely empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat because your body isn't sure what to do with it, the other is nutrient rich and immediately burnable. Plus fruit contains fiber that aides in digestion where a little debbie just "sticks to your thighs".

The only thing true in that paragraph is fruit contains fiber.

If you're going to disagree, at least explain why.. otherwise your statement holds no validity.

Here's my research: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/sugar-in-fruit-vs-table-sugar

Where is yours?
    My statement holds validity whether I explain or not. You're confusing your trust process with something else.

Ok, I'll explain why. I'll even read your source.
    You write "The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit"

Your sources says "The primary sugar in fruit is fructose". This is patently false - it really depends on the fruit. For example, apricot sugars are mostly sucrose. The same is true for peach, pineapples, carrots and, of course, beets. (Source: memory - but you can read about sugar levels in specific fruit anywhere) Beets are obvious because the are used to manufacture "sucrose".

You say "one has complete empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat"
    Sucrose is not an unnatural sugar, even HFCS is not unnatural. It's processed, but the sucrose, fructose and other sugar molecules are the same. The processing and purification only removes other thing, it does not alter the chemical composition of these sugars.
    Empty? Of what, these are pretty good calorie sources and acceptable as such. Are they lacking in micronutrients? Certainly, but so are many of the things you eat. It's ok, in reasonable quantities. (Like your source says)

Are these sugars turned immediately into toxic fat? Wut? Your source doesn't say that. At all. In fact, sucrose is broken down in the body into.... fructose and glucose. Which are in turn used as energy sources - actual needs, plasma and muscle levels determine if these sugars are going to be stored as such, converted to energy or stored as lipids. There is nothing instant about it. Finally fats are not toxic. Without fat every single cell in your body would be dead, or actually non existent. Lipids make up the cell walls. (Source basic biology)

Immediately burnable? Nope, wrong again. Fruit digestion takes from 1, 2-4 hrs. These is why gel blocks of glucose or other sugars are consumed by athletes for immediate availability. Btw, nothing burns in the body - I understand it is a metaphor, but it's wrong. While ATP generation is and oxidative process like combustion, it is a reversible chemical process. (Again source: basic biology)

My "trust process"...? To me you we're just being a that "well actually" guy for no reason. I was trying to help someone not assert my mental dominance. We're aren't here to bash or attack each other, but welcome to the internet I suppose.

Let me further explain my statement then lets call it quits because I won't be continuing this conversation with you or anyone else (aka Mr. "Burn") who isn't here to actually help people.

I asked you to explain your response because it didn't offer advice to the original poster or any of the people seeking advice, you only responded to attack/correct me. And I say "attack" because it had no substance except to damage my comment.

Now on a few points: "The sugar you get from a Little Debbie is not the same sugar" you corrected me by saying they are both of the same source. Yes they are, however one is bleached through processes that cause it to become almost pure carbon which then has a chemical affinity or attraction for calcium and the minute that it gets in your blood it immediately attracts all the calcium that's near it and unites with the calcium making the calcium virtually unusable. So then the systems in your body that need the calcium? Can't use it (aka. teeth, bones etc.). To me, that sounds quite toxic and VERY different then the Frucose it started as which is far more natural and easier on your body. Regular sugar damages your organs and prevents bone repair... Fruit however provides energy

"Empty? Of what..." You answered your own question. Nutrients. If you are going to consume sugar? Why consume the kind that is bad for you? And yes it IS bad for you... most highly processed foods are.

"Finally fats are not toxic..." Not all fats no. But then I never said all fats were, you've politely put that into my statement, thank you. However you are wrong. Toxic fat, scientifically known as visceral fat, is the internal fatty tissue which surrounds vital organs such as the heart, liver, kidney and pancreas.

While the presence of excess fat under the skin (also known as subcutaneous fat) is often obvious, toxic fat is buried deep within us, making it harder to gauge how much fat is there. Toxic fat is more dangerous than the fat near the skin. Toxic fat is known to release dangerous levels of chemicals, including hormones, into the body. Because of this, excess toxic fat can lead to heart disease, type 2 diabetes and several cancers. Where do you think the chemicals used to "bleach" sugars go? Our body can't process them like it can natural fructose... What it can't process? Has to go somewhere if not through the bowels? It ends up in our blood stream which then ends up in our tissues and fat. It's one of many triggers for Acne... and yet a diet that contains fruit clears the skin. Curious...

All I was saying to the girl was.. chose a fruit over a snack cake because the bodies response of the sugar in the two are not the same. Tell me I'm wrong until your blue in the face, but I'd rather see her eat an apple vs. any need to be right.

Yes, trust process. As in you trust a blog or web site that has poor reference and poor info.

I do not wish to come across as attacking you - but am focusing on the information you provided. Which was poor.

Sucrose is now suddenly almost pure carbon and therefore leaches calcium? Please provide us with your "scientific reference" for this.

Your "processed food is bad and sugar is processed so therefore bad" is called a circular argument. You still need to provide how sugar, in reasonable limited quantity is bad. Hint: it isn't.

The rest of your post just makes no sense. Simply because white sugar is not bleached. White is just the color of pure sucrose. No bleach. I really don't know where you get your info, but start looking for other sources.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Okay, well it's not just emotions.. it's more complex then that.

Where does the desire to do drugs, drink alcohol, or smoke come from (the first time you try them)? And when you over indulge in those things.. what happens? Addiction. Many people over eat because they like the way it tastes (which is a chemical reaction with your taste buds and taste receptors), Those tastes are enhanced by insulin spikes which attribute to mood and energy (aka. sugar high.. though not a medical term is very real) when that over indulgence becomes unsustainable for your body it turns to fat (both good and bad) which then can cause real health complications.

I wish this were not the case.. I wish it was just as simple as "control yourself". But it's not. When you lose that ability to stop yourself it's no different then needing another line of coke and it's just as hard to battle, if it wasn't? There wouldn't be an obesity problem in the US. Take one swipe of the internet, there are clinics and retreats for food addictions. It's easier for a person already healthy to dismiss it as self control, I mean I could say the same about a drug addict, "just stop doing it". But unfortunately, that's not reality.

Well, let's see, the urge to try cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol for the first time overwhelming comes from peer pressure and a desire to conform. The substances themselves do not cause you to want them, because you've never had them and have no idea how they are going to make you feel. The addiction comes from the person associating a substance with a certain feeling, then turning to that substance more and more to cope with issues in their life. There are certainly chemical factors to any addiction, but if you actually look at rehab programs, the chemical is a small part of the issue. The chemicals can be released in a matter of days, but the majority of the work in treatment is the behavioral issues and learning how to cope without turning to a substance.

The obesity problem is not a result of food addiction. The obesity problem is a result of people eating more calories than they burn. Every obese person in the US is not addicted to food. And no one is saying "just stop doing it," we're saying figure out the underlying issue that is causing you to turn to food, accept that you also need to alter your behavior, and empower yourself to make the changes rather than just playing the victim card and saying you are helpless.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit. One has completely empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat because your body isn't sure what to do with it, the other is nutrient rich and immediately burnable. Plus fruit contains fiber that aides in digestion where a little debbie just "sticks to your thighs".

The only thing true in that paragraph is fruit contains fiber.

If you're going to disagree, at least explain why.. otherwise your statement holds no validity.

Here's my research: http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/sugar-in-fruit-vs-table-sugar

Where is yours?
    My statement holds validity whether I explain or not. You're confusing your trust process with something else.

Ok, I'll explain why. I'll even read your source.
    You write "The sugar in a little debbie is not the same sugar you get from a fresh fruit"

Your sources says "The primary sugar in fruit is fructose". This is patently false - it really depends on the fruit. For example, apricot sugars are mostly sucrose. The same is true for peach, pineapples, carrots and, of course, beets. (Source: memory - but you can read about sugar levels in specific fruit anywhere) Beets are obvious because the are used to manufacture "sucrose".

You say "one has complete empty unnatural sugars your body will turn immediately into toxic fat"
    Sucrose is not an unnatural sugar, even HFCS is not unnatural. It's processed, but the sucrose, fructose and other sugar molecules are the same. The processing and purification only removes other thing, it does not alter the chemical composition of these sugars.
    Empty? Of what, these are pretty good calorie sources and acceptable as such. Are they lacking in micronutrients? Certainly, but so are many of the things you eat. It's ok, in reasonable quantities. (Like your source says)

Are these sugars turned immediately into toxic fat? Wut? Your source doesn't say that. At all. In fact, sucrose is broken down in the body into.... fructose and glucose. Which are in turn used as energy sources - actual needs, plasma and muscle levels determine if these sugars are going to be stored as such, converted to energy or stored as lipids. There is nothing instant about it. Finally fats are not toxic. Without fat every single cell in your body would be dead, or actually non existent. Lipids make up the cell walls. (Source basic biology)

Immediately burnable? Nope, wrong again. Fruit digestion takes from 1, 2-4 hrs. These is why gel blocks of glucose or other sugars are consumed by athletes for immediate availability. Btw, nothing burns in the body - I understand it is a metaphor, but it's wrong. While ATP generation is and oxidative process like combustion, it is a reversible chemical process. (Again source: basic biology)

My "trust process"...? To me you we're just being a that "well actually" guy for no reason. I was trying to help someone not assert my mental dominance. We're aren't here to bash or attack each other, but welcome to the internet I suppose.

Let me further explain my statement then lets call it quits because I won't be continuing this conversation with you or anyone else (aka Mr. "Burn") who isn't here to actually help people.

I asked you to explain your response because it didn't offer advice to the original poster or any of the people seeking advice, you only responded to attack/correct me. And I say "attack" because it had no substance except to damage my comment.

Now on a few points: "The sugar you get from a Little Debbie is not the same sugar" you corrected me by saying they are both of the same source. Yes they are, however one is bleached through processes that cause it to become almost pure carbon which then has a chemical affinity or attraction for calcium and the minute that it gets in your blood it immediately attracts all the calcium that's near it and unites with the calcium making the calcium virtually unusable. So then the systems in your body that need the calcium? Can't use it (aka. teeth, bones etc.). To me, that sounds quite toxic and VERY different then the Frucose it started as which is far more natural and easier on your body. Regular sugar damages your organs and prevents bone repair... Fruit however provides energy

"Empty? Of what..." You answered your own question. Nutrients. If you are going to consume sugar? Why consume the kind that is bad for you? And yes it IS bad for you... most highly processed foods are.

"Finally fats are not toxic..." Not all fats no. But then I never said all fats were, you've politely put that into my statement, thank you. However you are wrong. Toxic fat, scientifically known as visceral fat, is the internal fatty tissue which surrounds vital organs such as the heart, liver, kidney and pancreas.

While the presence of excess fat under the skin (also known as subcutaneous fat) is often obvious, toxic fat is buried deep within us, making it harder to gauge how much fat is there. Toxic fat is more dangerous than the fat near the skin. Toxic fat is known to release dangerous levels of chemicals, including hormones, into the body. Because of this, excess toxic fat can lead to heart disease, type 2 diabetes and several cancers. Where do you think the chemicals used to "bleach" sugars go? Our body can't process them like it can natural fructose... What it can't process? Has to go somewhere if not through the bowels? It ends up in our blood stream which then ends up in our tissues and fat. It's one of many triggers for Acne... and yet a diet that contains fruit clears the skin. Curious...

All I was saying to the girl was.. chose a fruit over a snack cake because the bodies response of the sugar in the two are not the same. Tell me I'm wrong until your blue in the face, but I'd rather see her eat an apple vs. any need to be right.

Yes, trust process. As in you trust a blog or web site that has poor reference and poor info.

I do not wish to come across as attacking you - but am focusing on the information you provided. Which was poor.

Sucrose is now suddenly almost pure carbon and therefore leaches calcium? Please provide us with your "scientific reference" for this.

Your "processed food is bad and sugar is processed so therefore bad" is called a circular argument. You still need to provide how sugar, in reasonable limited quantity is bad. Hint: it isn't.

The rest of your post just makes no sense. Simply because white sugar is not bleached. White is just the color of pure sucrose. No bleach. I really don't know where you get your info, but start looking for other sources.

I had an entire argument with someone on the sugar production process a few months back. They truly believed that bleach was used in the "bleaching" process. And also that white sugar had added chemicals and wasnt simply pure sucrose. Even after posting the actual process with sources they refused to believe me.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm off to do a line of ice cream off a stripper's stomach.

Hum.

Actually, that doesn't sound all that bad . . .
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Don't tell yourself you can't have it, that often leads to eating a ton of it later. If you want it, have a little but just be in moderation and add it to your log. I eat chocolate or a cookie EVERY single day but I'm losing weight because I just have small amounts and fit it into my daily allotment.

One thing that helps me to have less is to put it off. I want a cookie? Then I can have one. In an hour. When the hour is up I tell myself to wait again for an hour. Usually I will finally have it at some point in the evening but by saying I CAN have it, just later, I don't feel as deprived. Then only having one feels just fine.
    And you learn delayed gratification and moderation skills, which are important in almost every aspect of life.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me...gained back 10 pounds of the 50 I lost...UGH.

I went cold turkey off the white carbs/refined sugar. Took about a week but after 2 weeks, the cravings are gone. I feel better and I have my energy back. Its not easy, but it can be done if you are determined enough. I was.