Is chewing on ice the same as drinking water?

Options
124»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It's water, but not as much as you think. Water expands as it freezes.
    It's water, Jim. But not as we know it.
    ROFL!!! Thanks now I have that stuck in my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuzjkE65f8
    It's water, Jim. But not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it, Captain.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just bought a big bag of ice after reading this. yum! I put it next to my Doritos in my cupboard so i can train myself to grab that instead of the chips
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Just because this thread is so amusing. I want to make sure that you guys know that the sound of someone chewing on ice is nasty. Like the sound a filthy pig makes when it eats. Crunching and slurping, makes me feel sick thinking about it.
    Even better is chewing ice with a big piece of gum wrapped around it. The gum gets all hard and cold until it warms up again. YUM!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Oooookaaaaaaay.........For chewing purposes, the volume of ice equals the volume of water.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love to chew on ice when I am drunk.
  • gyspy57
    Options
    What does burn calories, according to fitness coach Ben Cohn, is warming that much ice up to body temperature. This requires energy, and calories are just one form of it.

f
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    What does burn calories, according to fitness coach Ben Cohn, is warming that much ice up to body temperature. This requires energy, and calories are just one form of it.
    Except it's kilocalories we use for food. So it's the amount of energy required to heat 333 ml of water by 3 degrees C. From freezing to core temp is approx 37C difference. That would be approx 13 calories for approx 12 oz of water frozen into ice and then consumed.

If you got your 64 oz of water every day as chewed ice you'd burn an extra what, 70 calories? That's a LOT of ice even for someone like me who loves chewing it.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Listening to someone chew on ice is one of the most obnoxious sounds I have ever heard.

THIS!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Gross and rude to chew on ice I think.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ice makes me drink more water because I like super cold water. I used to chew on ice all the time but it's not enough for the water you should be drinking.
    I LOVE chewing on ice. My husband gives me a hard time for rating dining experiences based on their quality of chewable ice.

^^Haha I do this too!!!!
  • Christy175
    Christy175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eating ice should be a private thing, like *kitten*. It is fine when you do it alone, but it makes others uncomfortable when you do it in public.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    THey don't tell you this stuff in dental school - so ice (i.e. solid water) is bad for teeth, huh?

I suppose if you chew enough you will wear down the cusps, but hey! that would make them sensitive and then you'd stop anyway (unless, of course, you have dentures).

Would molten ice be harmful too?

I always chew the cube I get with my sparkling water - Heck! I paid for that fellah, you want that should just let it melt away before my very eyes.
    I'm sure chewing the lemon slice is the more harmful.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    - don't try this at home, kids. I'm a professional.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    The water doesn't magically turn into something else when it melts...haha.

Of course its like drinking water
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Did you realise that when you freeze wine, the alcohol freezes at a lower temperature than the water so you end up with wine flavoured, alcohol free lumps of solid water (and a fine for operating a still without a licence)?
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    The water doesn't magically turn into something else when it melts...haha.

Of course its like drinking water
    Don't you remember when Dr Who defeated the Daleks with molten ice?