Alternative to peanut butter

Options
124»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Probably savory. I mostly eat peanut butter on toast for breakfast, and I find the protein really helps hold me through till lunch. I am trying to cut down my fat as I am consistently in the red on fat, even when I am under on calories.

Do you realize, as others have posted, peanut butter does not contain much protein and is mostly a fat? The breakdown is 13% carbs, 15% protein and 72% fats. It may well give you a feeling of satiety but it is unlikely that is due to the small amount of protein.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Probably savory. I mostly eat peanut butter on toast for breakfast, and I find the protein really helps hold me through till lunch. I am trying to cut down my fat as I am consistently in the red on fat, even when I am under on calories.

Do you realize, as others have posted, peanut butter does not contain much protein and is mostly a fat? The breakdown is 13% carbs, 15% protein and 72% fats. It may well give you a feeling of satiety but it is unlikely that is due to the small amount of protein.

^This.

I keep telling people: nuts are a pretty garbage protein source per calorie. That, and also: fat are very, very satiating - perhaps moreso that protein.
  • dlc27573
    Options
    Wish I could afford rib eye for breakfast every day!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    almond butter
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options

^This.

I keep telling people: nuts are a pretty garbage protein source per calorie. That, and also: fat are very, very satiating - perhaps moreso that protein.
    Actually fat on a calorie for calorie basis is not satiating at all. Sounds weird I know.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17539869

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/artid/what-makes-us-feel-full/
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    screw it, I just eat peanut butter.

i found when I switched to the all natural (i.e. no sugar added) I use less of it on whatever I'm making. Probably half as much.

All natural PB took a while to get used to, I had my entire life of deprogramming to deal with. But now I think it is the most wonderful thing. Such an intense peanut flavor
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating cups of it every day, I'd say just enjoy a tablespoon or two of real peanut butter. Fat doesn't make you fat. Don't fear the fats. It's easy to fit PB into your macros.

Now, to give OP ideas for protein-filled breakfasts, you've already gotten many good ideas. I either do eggs and/or some kind of meat with, sometimes, a bit of cheese. Or I might do yogurt with some vanilla protein powder added. Yummmmmm.