Nonfat Milk!

Options
124»

Replies

• TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been giving this some thought and here are my findings. First, just to recap, we know that milk is bad because it is meant for cows, not people. Cows are huge, therefore milk will make you huge. Bad, right? So avoid milk. Got it.

Then I got to thinking about Elephants. They're even HYOOGER than cows. And they eat vegetables! So anyone who doesn't want to be gigantic clearly need to avoid vegetables.

I'm not sure any more. I'm just going to eat sand and water until I sort this out or somebody just tells me exactly what is safe to eat.

So, if you eat enough sand and water, then sit in a super hot sauna for a very long time, will you poop glass?

Anyhoo, I love nonfat milk and yogurt and cheese and the list goes on. I thought I was doing good things by having milk and yogurt in the same day, but my trainer told me to limit my intake to one serving per day. I'm mainly focusing on losing fat right now and supposedly too much dairy is bad.
    So, I'll take my vitamins and eat my veggies for calcium.

Yes I will poop glass, just as surely as you will stunt your fat loss by having more than 1 serving of dairy per day.

And careful with those veggies. Remember, Elephants eat veggies. We are not meant to eat elephant food. It is unnatural.

HA!!!

Elephants in nature eat mostly wild fruits, grass, and bamboo and other things like that.

Awe man, now I have to add fruit to the DO NOT EAT list!!!

Jesus Christ. People need to actually educate themselves before acting like *kitten*.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, go for it! Who cares what "normal" is?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cow milk, personally. It's not meant to be a human food and it has lactose (a form of sugar) and casein (very hard for your body to digest and NOT good for you) -- so I would recommend an alternative like almond milk. It's low in calories & very healthy for you. There's also other milks like rice, hemp, and soy that are good alternatives but almond is def my favorite. If you drink nonfat milk then almond will be same consistency for you.

If you continue to drink milk I hope you're drinking organic as dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones which end up in their milk and therefore you.... gross.

tumblr_ll64wsqzyo1qcfba3o1_500.gif

Your point?

Dude, that gif is seriously creepy...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    twinkies are probably safe. i don't think any animals eat twinkies. plus there was a twinkie diet and the guy lost weight, so i think we found our answer.

/thead.

My cat has never had access to a twinkie, but he's pretty nuts for absolutely any chocolate, to the point that he will rip open bags, boxes, and dig into the cupboards for it.

He's actually a very slim and petite cat. My fat cat would NEVER touch chocolate. Its possible that the secret to weight loss lies in chocolate.

If you're a cat.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've been giving this some thought and here are my findings. First, just to recap, we know that milk is bad because it is meant for cows, not people. Cows are huge, therefore milk will make you huge. Bad, right? So avoid milk. Got it.

Then I got to thinking about Elephants. They're even HYOOGER than cows. And they eat vegetables! So anyone who doesn't want to be gigantic clearly need to avoid vegetables.

I'm not sure any more. I'm just going to eat sand and water until I sort this out or somebody just tells me exactly what is safe to eat.

So, if you eat enough sand and water, then sit in a super hot sauna for a very long time, will you poop glass?

Anyhoo, I love nonfat milk and yogurt and cheese and the list goes on. I thought I was doing good things by having milk and yogurt in the same day, but my trainer told me to limit my intake to one serving per day. I'm mainly focusing on losing fat right now and supposedly too much dairy is bad.

Yes I will poop glass, just as surely as you will stunt your fat loss by having more than 1 serving of dairy per day.

And careful with those veggies. Remember, Elephants eat veggies. We are not meant to eat elephant food. It is unnatural.
    Drat! I guess those 27 lbs over the last 4 months didn't really leave me! Dog gone dairy! I have been eating at least three servings of the stuff a day… OH! Wait! The casein and whey are dairy as well!! I am screwed!! =(
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

Well its not natural for humans to consume milk. Milk is meant for baby cows. We are the only species that switch to another species milk after breastfeeding for our mother's. Baby cows don't stop drinking their mothers milk and start drinking gorilla boob juice. I can understand both sides but our bodies are not meant for it, which is why or bodies have a hard time breaking down dairy. Don't get me wrong, I love my cheese and will never give it up.

Actually, our ability to be able to consume milk past infancy is a GREAT adaptation. It means we are able to digest an excellent source of nutrients. It's a GOOD thing that we can do this. I'm sure other animals would fare well if they had the same adaptation.
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good suggestion on the Almond milk :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would ask your trainer how milk will impede your fat loss if you are at a caloric deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I can't stand cow milk, personally. It's not meant to be a human food and it has lactose (a form of sugar) and casein (very hard for your body to digest and NOT good for you) -- so I would recommend an alternative like almond milk. It's low in calories & very healthy for you. There's also other milks like rice, hemp, and soy that are good alternatives but almond is def my favorite. If you drink nonfat milk then almond will be same consistency for you.

If you continue to drink milk I hope you're drinking organic as dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones which end up in their milk and therefore you.... gross.

Even if you buy milk produced from cows that have been injected with a growth hormone, what risk does it pose to humans? If you are worried, just get ones labels that it comes from cows that have not been (it does not have to be organic).

How is casein not good for you?

Almond milk tastes nothing like cows milk and has a very different texture to me. Plus it basically has no protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Well its not natural for humans to consume milk. Milk is meant for baby cows. We are the only species that switch to another species milk after breastfeeding for our mother's. Baby cows don't stop drinking their mothers milk and start drinking gorilla boob juice. I can understand both sides but our bodies are not meant for it, which is why or bodies have a hard time breaking down dairy. Don't get me wrong, I love my cheese and will never give it up.

We are not the only species that drink other animals milk. Also, I am pretty sure that cows would have a problem with milking a gorilla - lack of opposable thumbs and all that.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    From a T-Nation article I have to go get the bookmarks source for off my computer:

"Yes, I drink almond milk occasionally. It has virtually no carbs in it, so I guess it's a good dieter's drink. It also has a nice, nutty taste.

However, it doesn't stack up all that well against regular cow's milk. Granted, store-bought almond milk contains more calcium than cow's milk, but it's because of the added calcium carbonate. It also has a nice amount of Vitamin E in it, in addition to a decent number of micronutrients.

But almond milk only has about one-eighth the amount of protein as cows milk, as well as lacking the nutrient quantity and nutrient diversity of its bovine counterpart.

Despite the nutritional elegance of cow's milk, the food phobic's have largely abandoned it.

They say it contains hormones. They say it contains antibiotics. They say it causes allergies and mucus and, I don't know, locust in your shorts.

Let's try to look at the subject without any biases. Yes, some dairies use recombinant bovine growth hormone in cows and it elevates amounts of IGF in the milk.

It results in more milk and cheaper prices, but food phobics freak out when they contemplate it. They think that anyone who drinks milk is going to grow a big head and be indicted on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice and then be blackballed by major league baseball.

Beyond that, they worry that the elevated IGF levels will cause cancer, as it's been shown to do in some lab studies.

The food phobics don't need to fret. Bovine growth hormone and IGF are protein hormones and they're cleaved into their constituent amino acids by your digestive enzymes in the same way as any ingested protein. In other words, they turn into food. It's not possible for them to have any growth-hormone like effects.

It's true that there are probably antibiotic residues in milk, though. People worry, probably with good reason, that ingesting antibiotics may lead to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria that might put a big hurt on all of us, but the Government is currently trying to put limitations on that practice.

Furthermore, you can take your fate into your own hands by buying USDA-certified organic milk –which doesn't contain antibiotics –from the grocery store.

We've looked at the supposedly negative aspects of milk, but what about the positive?For one, milk contains large amounts of protein (anybody remember protein?), about 80% of which is casein and about 20% of which is whey, which are both world-class muscle builders.

Drinking two or three glasses of milk, either whole or skim, also purportedly lowers the risk of both heart attack and stroke."
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So, I drink a lot of nonfat milk with protein powder, but I feel like it may be too much. Four cups of milk a day! Is that much milk freakishly abnormal, or what?

Too much for what? Normal does not equal healthy. You are should be having three servings of dairy a day for health anyway - I *think* your US serving size for milk is a cup.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There's a reason we wean kids from breast milk.... same thing with cows. Milk isn't a natural food but because its part of our diet there are healthier alternatives. The fat content of any milk is meant to grow a baby, not continuously 'feed' an adult.

Check the nutrition - almond milk has protein! And it's not that expensive.

I must have missed the peer reviewed studies on the universal health benefits of almond milk, could you link to them please? And explain why milk alternatives have to be fortified with micronutrients? Alpro almond milk contains "Water, SUGAR, Almond (2%), Tri-Calcium Phosphate, SEA SALT, Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum) , Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin) ,Vitamins (Riboflavin (B2), B12, E, D2)" Does that really sound healthy and naturally nutritious?

Please also list all the foods that evolved for humans to eat. Eggs? Oh no, they are for chicken embryos. Tree nuts like almonds? Oh no, they are meant to nourish seedlings.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Are you people nuts? Milk was designed for calves not people!!!!
    Honey was designed for bees, what's your point?
    It's good to be at the top of the food chain
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You're 'supposed' to have five servings of dairy a day. Personally, I have 3 glasses of milk most days, and some cheese or yogurt. My husband can drink 1/2 a gallon of milk a day...but he's kind of milk-crazy.

Who says we have to have 5 servings of dairy a day?

Sorry, I'm old. That's what I was taught as a kid and teen and young adult. Now, I guess 3 servings is the recommendation.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yep, milk is for cows, and look how big they get, you don't see a skinny cow often.

Calf's are weaned at a young age. Cows get fat because of the feed (corn) and not because of milk :)
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Okay all you crazies who cite the fact that we are the only species that drink the milk of another species and that makes it unnatural: how much of what humans do is totally different from EVERY OTHER SPECIES? Most of it. We have a hard time breaking down dairy because by the time it gets to our store shelves its been pasteurized and homogenized. All you folks who have never tried raw dairy should give it a shot. You'll be digesting like a pro afterward. You gut will be colonized by all kinds of good bacteria that will help you break things down. Is raw milk safe? Yes, if you know where it came from. The place should be clean. The cows should be on pasture and should be hormone and antibiotic free. Go read some studies on raw milk.

And seriously: Almond milk is good for you? I'm sorry, but anything that processed is not good for you. If it has more than five ingredients, you shouldn't eat it.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Who meant any food to be human food?
    Most humans have the enzymes to digest milk just fine.
    I would love to know how the milk of a nut is more likely to be "meant" to be human food than the milk of a cow.
    Plus it's expensive and has no protein.

There's a reason we wean kids from breast milk.... same thing with cows. Milk isn't a natural food but because its part of our diet there are healthier alternatives. The fat content of any milk is meant to grow a baby, not continuously 'feed' an adult.

Check the nutrition - almond milk has protein! And it's not that expensive.

You are amusing.
    What do you think that taco cheese you eat is made from ? Lol.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Are you people nuts? Milk was designed for calves not people!!!!
    Honey was designed for bees, what's your point?
    It's good to be at the top of the food chain
    Here Here!!!
  • tolkienite
    tolkienite Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering if nut milk (not just almond, any nut) is good for you? It is very easy to make (nuts + water) so I wouldn't bother with the processed version and it sounds delicious. I am just wondering if it has any health benefits. Or the opposite, I suppose. Does anyone know?