Fit Smokers?

Options
1235»

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for as long as I can remember. I'm sure there were times when I smoked more in a day but I can't remember a day without opening a pack. Started in 1992 and quit Jan 7th this year, 3 days after I found out I was pregnant. Yes it took 3 days, I'm sure there are people who would and wouldn't understand that.

I always said if I could go one day without smoking, I could quit and sure enough, that was the case. I am intrigued by those who can smoke socially, I will never try because that first cigarette in 1992 was the true beginning of my addiction.

How smoking affected my fitness:
    I never noticed anything the entire time until 2007. My husband bought me a bike and I only rode it twice because my lungs SCREAMED. I decided I would just skip riding the bike.

I tested good/average on lung capacity as compared to my exact age every year at the doctor at my annual physical.

I played sports the past two years and didn't have any problems.

In Feb 2012 I attempted cardio at the new gym I joined and my lungs SCREAMED. The way I fixed this: I would try and not have a cigarette around 30 minutes to an hour before I got there. I would get cranky because of it.

I always lit up the second I left any gym or any sports park, but never smoked at the park or during sports activity.

I was able to become "physically fit" as a smoker and have not yet been quit long enough to notice any impact or difference as I have not tried an intense cardio session or tried to ride a bike yet. I assume I will notice a big change in about a year.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I assume I will notice a big change in about a year.
    From my experience, you will begin noticing a big difference in about 2 weeks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    fit smoker = oxymoron

I dunno, I reckon you can still be fit and smoke.

Sure, it's not optimal but there are degrees.

I also reckon you can be 'fat' and fit.

I used to smoke, am I fitter now? No idea.

Well, maybe. But my perspective on fit does not include smoking or overeating. I am not fit now. I am better because I quit smoking a year ago this month. I am better because I now lift weights and make healthy food choices. But I am not FIT in my opinion. So - when I said oxymoron it was because that was the word that came to mind while browsing through the forum on a Sunday morning.

It sounds like you are getting your definitions confused then.

Really? How so?
    "expression with contradictory words: a phrase in which two words of contradictory meaning are used together for special effect"

No, it's the word "fit" that seems to be baffling you. I'm interesting in how you are defining "fit" such that it would be contradictory when applied to a smoker.
  • tammylynntyler
    tammylynntyler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I know several folks who claimed that smoking really affected their ability to do things cardio and I believe them. I smoked about a pack a day for ten years and during the entire time ran and lifted regularly. My lungs always tested great in physicals. I did not feel like it affected my workouts but wasn't sure. I did cough here and there which isn't exactly sexy. Then I quite 2.5 years ago cold turkey. Just because. Know what? It really didn't have a big impact on my fitness. Running didn't feel any easier. I didn't magically feel "much better" like others suggested. I'm very glad I quit for other reasons (cost/breath/smell on clothing/the sheer amount of time spent per day doing "cigaretty" things/fear of cancer). But I did enjoy smoking. I wish I could be an occasional smoker but if I'm out of the habit, they are gross to me and I don't enjoy them.
    Bottom line, I think cigarettes can affect people differently with respect to fitness.
    And I get really annoyed with ex smokers who make such a fuss over smoking.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    in high school i was a varsity athlete in four sports and smoked every day. as an adult, i have run a dozen marathons smoking about half a pack a day most of the last 20 years or so. i dont think it has slowed me down on the playing field but when i quit smoking for 6 months or so last year i noticed i had more energy which of course has an affect on my abilty to and motivation to workout and be fit so i wasnt missing or cutting short work outs as often. that didnt happen a lot before but when i quit it was happening far less often. i noticed it when i sprinted as well and i also didnt realize that i had a daily cough until i quit and it went away.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke. Hooked up with the wrong girl in my teens and smoked for 19 years. My one big regret.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm very grateful for everyone sharing their experiences, and those folks who probably really wanted to give an earful but exercised restraint. I feel like I have a fairly good picture of the spectrum of possibilities where 'fitness' and 'smoking' overlap. Thank you!!!!
  • 250mrsb
    250mrsb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ive been smoke free for going on 4 days (cold turkey) and feel great. I guess there is such a thing as a fit smoker. But in my case, that was not true at all. The final straw was not being able to finish a cardio workout without my lungs being on fire. But it is definately possible :)