Nostalgia: What were the best concerts you ever attended?

Options

Replies

• Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorite concerts were actually in the last 6 months. And I think that's 2 more concerts than I typically attend in the average year. :)

Ingrid Michaelson, 7/12/12 - she performed at Nitefall on the River in Des Moines, which is an outdoor venue, and it was wonderful. The weather was perfect and I got to go with an old friend from high school, and a Twitter friend (whom I'd not actually met in person until that night) and her boyfriend. We had a good time. I think this was the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen her live. She puts on a great show.

Amanda Palmer & the Grand Theft Orchestra, 10/3/12 at First Avenue in Minneapolis - my first AFP show, and it was outstanding. The local musicians who joined her for the show were great, one of whom had a two-headed tuba that was painted like a dragon and was completely badass. I sat outside the venue with a friend (yet another Twitter friend I was just meeting for the first time) for several hours before the show to make sure we'd get in the front row, which was an experience all by itself. I was asked to take some "artistic" cellphone photos of a totally strung-out dude who was passing by, and he offered to pay me in Klonopin. (I politely declined.) Neil Gaiman came out and gave us chocolates before the show. I was so completely blown by the end of the concert... no voice, a little dehydrated, and emotionally & physically spent. But I was too wired to sleep on the couch that had been offered to me, so I made the 4-hour drive home and crashed in my bed at 5:30 AM. Pretty much the best day ever.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Gene Loves Jezebel/New Order/Echo & the Bunnymen in 1987 Saw it in Berkeley - that WAS a good show.

LOVE seeing FISHBONE live too! so fun!

The Wolfgang Press - 1991? 1992? for their Queer album tour <--- awesome

Paul Weller - First time I saw him 1992? 1993? for his first solo tour. swoon!

i might be the only other person reading this thread who remembers the Wolfgang Press. i have one of their albums, on vinyl. i'm old. :laugh:
  • martin1306
    martin1306 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Best gig - Queen. The last tour with Freddie in 86.
    joint second - Springsteen, Rainbow, U2, AC/DC, George Michael, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney.
    Most consistently fantastic - The Saw Doctors
    Most disappointing - Crowded House and Rod Stewart (not on the same bill!)
    Shortest gig - Maroon 5 (70 minutes including encore)
    Longest gig - Live 8
    Most embarrassing gig - I'm not telling you!!
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The Cure - 07.09.1996 Antioch - Starwood Amphitheatre (USA/TN)
    Want, Club America, Fascination Street, Lullaby, High, Lovesong, Just Like Heaven, Jupiter Crash, Round & Round & Round, Catch, Friday I'm In Love, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Strange Attraction, Mint Car, Like Cockatoos, Return, Treasure, Trap, Prayers For Rain, Inbetween Days, From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea, Bare, Disintegration,
    E1: Hot Hot Hot, Let's Go To Bed, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You,
    E2: Boys Don't Cry, 10.15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Dizzy Gilespie in a tiny club in NYC (1980-something)
    The Roots -- also in a tiny club in NYC when they were just starting out.
    Ozomatli (San Diego)
    Soulive and a bunch of artists in LA 2003ish
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Eric Clapton @ Schottenstein Center in Columbus, OH 04/06/07. Robert Cray opened, one of the best nights of my life!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    missy elliot. run for cover mother fakka!

Oh and when I played in berlin I saw adam port and arena club. that was something else. i cant even explain it.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Queens of the Stone Age in 2008. Here's a pretty decent video from the concert. I had a better view than that video, I was about 10-15 feet from the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCgHevElEY
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The dead kennedys, the dead milkmen, blackflag, the pixies, the toadies

That's what's up!

Mine:
    Morrissey '08
    Dinosaur Jr. (Bug) '11
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i really enjoyed audioslave in about 2003. mainly because chris cornell looks like a sexy gelfling, and i was about 3 metres away from the stage.
    the big day out in ?2003 was great, too. early foo's, qotsa, deftones (when a man with blue hair and a blue goatee puked on my shoes). but the gigs were great.
    more recently i thought NIN rocked- they were so good. i danced like a loon all night!
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I love talking about concerts! I've been to several, but the ones that come to my mind straight away:

Bon Jovi (without a doubt, one of the BEST I've ever seen!)
    NKOTBSB (New Kids On The Block, Backstreet Boys)
    Human Nature
    Duran Duran
    Michae Buble (love his voice)

I'm seeing Keith Urban in concert in one week. I'm super super excited!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Guns N Roses/Skid Row - 1991 in LA
    Gun N Roses/Metallica - 1992 Phoenix
    Red Hot Chili Peppers/Nirvana/Pearl Jam - 1992 Phoenix
    Ramones - 1994 Hollywood
    Green Day - 1994 LA
    SUblime 1994 - Orange County
    Israel Vibration - 1999 San Diego
    Buck O Nine - 2000 San Diego
    Alpha Blondy - 2005 San Francisco
    Guns N Roses Seattle 2011

Those are the top of my list
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Pantera (Day before Cowboys From Hell came out)
    Ministry/Sepultura
    KMFDM
    NIN
    Slipknot
    Dropkick Murphys

And, strangely enough, Madonna. I got the tickets as an anniversary present for my now ex-wife, but she put on a decent show.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    311's 4-20 concert in New Orleans
    Dave Matthews at Jazz fest
    Bed Folds in Denver.. EPIC!
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ratt / BonJovi, because it was my first. Loved being an 80's girl! Seemed like there was a concert every few months!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mat Kearney at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland OR. There was something amazing about that show. It was a really intimate venue and I felt like he was singing out of his heart. It was was amazing. I am going to MUSE on the 31st....may be the next favorite. :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    i really enjoyed audioslave in about 2003. mainly because chris cornell looks like a sexy gelfling, and i was about 3 metres away from the stage.
    the big day out in ?2003 was great, too. early foo's, qotsa, deftones (when a man with blue hair and a blue goatee puked on my shoes). but the gigs were great.
    more recently i thought NIN rocked- they were so good. i danced like a loon all night!

OMG Chris Cornell is hot on stage. I saw him in '09. yum
  • thnksfrthmmrs
    thnksfrthmmrs Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Slipknot & Cradle of filth were the most :O gigs ive been to.

Fallout Boy, Mcfly, Green Day & Blink 182 were my favourites
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My favorite concert was my first one: Tool in 2006 after their last album came out. Now the front man is busy making wine in Arizona, lazy *kitten*. :P

I also enjoyed a Peppers concert right before Frusciante left. Him and Flea were amazing.
  • au640
    au640 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Gene Loves Jezebel/New Order/Echo & the Bunnymen in 1987 Saw it in Berkeley - that WAS a good show.

LOVE seeing FISHBONE live too! so fun!

The Wolfgang Press - 1991? 1992? for their Queer album tour <--- awesome

Paul Weller - First time I saw him 1992? 1993? for his first solo tour. swoon!

i might be the only other person reading this thread who remembers the Wolfgang Press. i have one of their albums, on vinyl. i'm old. :laugh:

I can remember wanting to go that GLJ/New Order/Bunnymen show soooo bad when I was 14. Never did see the first two bands, but saw the Bunnymen in '88.

And I have the Wolfgang Press cover of Mama Told Me Not To Come on one of my workout playlists on my IPOD.

Best one for me = My Bloody Valentine Detroit 1992.