Feeling Insecure at the Gym

Options
124»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Come to my gym. I am a veteran at creepily ogling every female between the ages of 18 and 45, especially the ones lazily using the butt-toning cybex machines or the ones who have been using the ellipticals for the last 40 minutes at level 1 and have yet to break a sweat though they are kicking butt at getting through that Marie Claire magazine and chit-chatting with the BFF next to them.

Seriously though, it's normal to feel that way when you start going to the gym. Only time and experience will help diminish it. Just accept the fact that this new venture is going to be a little scary for a while. Try to remember that people go to the gym to workout, not to judge you. Fire up your ipod, get your workout done and get out of there. This is about you feeling good about yourself and you deserve it.
  • K251
    K251 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have felt this way too! I joined my local Y at the beginning of this month and have been going everyday. That insecure feeling seems to be going away now that I've seen a lot of the same people each day. Like other posters have said, get in your zone. Ilisten to RHCP, Rage Against the Machine and Metallica. I never thought I would say this, but I'm starting to love working out :)
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I used to be the big lady starting out at the gym and you know what? I worked twice as hard and twice as long as the young skinny woman. I had to decide that I'm doing this for myself. Not anyone else. Pretty soon I noticed others like me who where very serious about getting healthy. You are there for a great reason. Here's to good health!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Any tips on feeling more comfortable while trying to work out around others?

*P.S. I can't change gyms at the moment, I have a free membership to this gym and cannot afford a different one.

Look at this page:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym

:happy:
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I went to the gym the other day, for the first time in my entire life, with the mindset of getting fit and healthy. With almost 100 lbs to lose to get in a healthy BMI, I'm a pretty big girl. But when I got to the gym, I felt super self conscious! There were literally NO overweight people in there...everyone had a body like a God and were easing through their workouts. They gave me weird looks and I became super self aware of my every movement. I felt like everyone was looking at my red, sweaty face, listening to me being out of breath.

So today, I went out and bought some nice work out clothes and a sportsbra (desperately needed) in the hopes that looking more like a gym rat will help me feel like I fit in.

Any tips on feeling more comfortable while trying to work out around others?

*P.S. I can't change gyms at the moment, I have a free membership to this gym and cannot afford a different one.

Ignore them and do you! When I first joined a gym, there were more men than woman..and they were OLDER men..I was watched and it was just weird....then another gym I went to, at my college, the same thing happened but with younger guys..they just couldn't believe all I was doing I guess..lol

Main thing is, workout for you and if they give you a look make a face! Or smile and think, yeah you wish you were me -snap snap-
  • swoosh1377
    swoosh1377 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been training people for over 12 years, and have worked with dozens of people in your situation right now. The reality is, if people are looking at you, they may just be noticing that you are a new face versus an out of shape woman. They will probably stay their distance for a little while because they don't want you to feel self-conscious, but in my experience they are recognizing your hard work and silently cheering you on. And then there is always the possibility that they are completely immersed in their own thoughts, and simply "seem" to be looking at you. :-) You're there for a reason; forget about the other people and enjoy the time to focus on YOU.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just focus on yourself, forget everyone else in the gym, remember why you are there, and that it is highly likely that at least a few of them were once where you are now.

So true! I've learned that most of the people at the gym are just as insecure whether they look like Greek gods or not and they may be worried that everyone else is judging them.

The gorgeous woman over there who looks all model slim used to be anorexic and is battling her own food issues and learning to like her own body. That buff guy over there is trying so hard to build up muscle to have pecs as impressive as his friends. The person next to you just finally hit their goal weight after years of trying and now is worried they are going to gain it all back again so they are trying to make sure they get in that hour of cardio while thinking about how much they want drive thru for dinner. That other person is just here to get away from stress at home because working out at the gym is their way of taking a break from everything and to have some alone time just to think.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see a "big" person at a gym, male or female, (and there are plenty) I always have major respect for them, since I know how hard that can be. Without a doubt they are the bravest in the place.

If I see them there often, then I know they are the strongest, toughest most focused, most dedicated person in the place.

So there!

(ps: they probably are not looking at you as much as you think they are. Observe, they may be giving everyone a glance who walks through he door. additionally, a good percentage of those "perfect bodies" were likely to be overweight at some point and were in the same boat you are.

Do not let this cause you to deviate from your goals. You're stronger than this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This. This is what I think, too. I know when I've been heavier that everything hurts more and takes more effort. So if I see someone big at the gym or running down the street, I think, wow, that girl is strong, she is committed, and she has guts. Keep in mind that lots of people are admiring you!
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I still occasionally feel insecure and I've been in the gym 2 years and it'll be my 3rd time renewing my membership in a few weeks,
    Only been doing proper workouts few months ago and starting to lose weight now. My PT had set me a few programs and sometimes I'd feel insecure about having to do them that people might be watching me. One of them was go on crosstrainer fast for a minute and then get off it and do mountain climbers up to 20 and then do another 3 sets. I did feel awkward at first then you just get on with it and tell yourself everyone is there to get fit and healthy they're all doing there own thing and focused in their own workout. Another way is if you know the gym will be busy try to go at a time where less people would be going. If you have an ipod/mp3 and you have pockets bring it and listen to it while your on a machine and you won't be as focused as to if people are watching you. If not sometimes the gyms will have the radio playing just try focusing on that and on your workout and you should be fine.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see a "big" person at a gym, male or female, (and there are plenty) I always have major respect for them, since I know how hard that can be. Without a doubt they are the bravest in the place.

If I see them there often, then I know they are the strongest, toughest most focused, most dedicated person in the place.

So there!

(ps: they probably are not looking at you as much as you think they are. Observe, they may be giving everyone a glance who walks through he door. additionally, a good percentage of those "perfect bodies" were likely to be overweight at some point and were in the same boat you are.

Do not let this cause you to deviate from your goals. You're stronger than this.

^^ This!!!
    There are people at the gym much more fit than I am and people much less fit than I am and that is the way it always will be. I am there for my own goals. Keep in mind that we are all doing our own workouts and all have different goals. On MFP I have seen people slam the "cardio bunnies" and bash the meatheads. The way I see it, I don't know what they are there to try and accomplish and they don't know what I am trying to achieve so their opinion does not matter to me.

I am one of those self-concious people too. I don't really want to chat, I don't want to get hit on and I don't want anyone else to think I am checking them out. At the gym there are three things for my eyes to settle on- my machine readout, the tv which almost always has food network on (no I don't want a new recipe for pastry cream while I am excercising) or looking around at the other patrons. What works for me is headphones and my e-reader. The tunes really help me keep upbeat and moving and the books gives me something for my eyes to focus on. Much easier for me to go into my own little world and do my thing.

Oh yeah, does not matter if I walked a half mile or ran 6, I am red faced and sweaty. Thank you redhead genetics. Just saying, turning red is not an indicator of fitness.