i love my cheese

I have been trying to cut back on cheese but its very hard for me. I've always loved cheese and I crave it alot. Does anyone know how I can curb this or if I can switch to a cheese that isnt so fattening?

thanks

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    What's fattening about cheese in moderation?
  • tracygreenw
    tracygreenw Posts: 7 Member
    I'm cheese obsessed too... Switched over to reduced fat ... Not the same! Lol
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    one trick I use is shredding my own with a small grater. It makes 1 ounce go so much further than a chunk or even pre-shredded. So much more flavor and spreading for the same calories. I also use 2% when I can, and sometimes laughing cow light wedges.
    Just portion and stay to an ounce!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    cheese is 70% fat....just don't eat it...
  • redraidergirl2009

the fact that its basically mostly fat.
  • AllTehBeers

What's wrong with that?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Just eat reduced fat cheeses in moderation - a serving of hard cheese is only 30g so for the half fat stuff it's about 5g fat. Studies have linked dairy products to lower body fat anyway. Be sure you are eating plenty of all the minerals you need, sometimes nutrient deficiencies can trigger cravings.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=dairy body fat
  • redraidergirl2009

What's wrong with that?

It's saturated fat.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    It's saturated fat.

I've never seen a 70% saturated fat cheese, nor is cheese normally all saturated fat - cheddar is about 30-35% fat of which about two thirds is saturated and about a third is monounsaturated (like olive oil or avocados!).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I probably eat 1-2 oz full fat cheese daily. I also eat meat. And butter.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    I do the Weight Watchers Smoked String Cheese and they have a Weight Watchers - Jalapeno String Cheese that's good too.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    No.

If you love it... work it into your day and eat it. Seriously, do not give up the things you love just make it work.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Dietary fat does not make a person fat. Eat the cheese if you crave it. Just eat 1 serving at a time. I eat about 2 servings a day. I don't guess, I weight though.
  • AllTehBeers
    Quoted from AV:
    Despite half a century of research there is still no evidence that natural saturated fat (like butter, eggs etc.) is anything but completely safe to eat.

Have a look at these recent reviews of all the evidence:

Insufficient evidence of association is present for intake of … saturated or polyunsaturated fatty acids; total fat … meat, eggs and milk.

Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Apr 13;169(7):659-69.

There were no clear effects of dietary fat changes on total mortality or cardiovascular mortality…

Hooper L, et al. Reduced or modified dietary fat for preventing cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Jul 6;(7):CD002137.

…no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD.

Siri-Tarino PW, et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Mar;91(3):535-46.

But wait, what about butter and other high fat dairy specifically? Well, actually people consuming it are if anything thinner and healthier than others:

The observational evidence does not support the hypothesis that dairy fat or high-fat dairy foods contribute to obesity or cardiometabolic risk…

Kratz M, et al. The relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease. European Journal of Nutrition, Online First™, 18 July 2012"
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I love Sargento's Cheddar Mozzarella sticks...they are so yummy.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Haloumi is pretty good and feta tends not to be too heavy. It depends on what kind of cheese you're eating but you'll always be better off going for the full fat version and eating slightly less of it. There's NOTHING wrong with a bit of cheese :D
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Make room in your plan for it so you won't go crazy and shovel it in as fast as you can somewhere down the road. Once you have an amount in your plan.stick with it and portion it out. Put the portion on a plate before you eat it, then wrap up the rest and put it back into the fridge. Out of sight, out of mind.

I eat a good deal of cheese. And not usually the "plastic" stuff. Good stuff. Only relishing a little-an ounce or two ounces at a time. It isn't impossible at all.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    I LOVE cheese. And the cheeses that I adore the most (Oka, Colliers, Grey Owl, Morbier) either don't come in low fat versions or they're just gross and not worth the calories.

I find that I usually have 1-2 days a week when I'm able to work out twice or just have low calories otherwise when I'm able to splurge on high-cal foods (and I don't mean cheat days... just days that I have more wiggle room). Sometimes I use those days for sweets or alcohol, but sometimes I use them for cheese. And those days are beautiful, beautiful days.

Not gonna lie. Sometimes I cheat too and go over my limit for cheese. And it's almost always worth it. I tend to feel less guilty about going over with cheese than I do with desserts, because at least cheese has calcium and stuff that's actually good for me!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Cheese. it does a body good.
    I eat it only with foods, and i use the Cabot 75% fat free cheese.....

but who can live with out it when we love it???
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I probably eat 1-2 oz full fat cheese daily. I also eat meat. And butter.

Me too.