i love my cheese

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What's fattening about cheese in moderation?

the fact that its basically mostly fat.

But it is quite high in protein and it is extremely satisfying. There is also some evidence that it has a positive effect on many health parameters--including being an obesity fighter, believe it or not. I eat cheese almost every day and I never go over in my calories. But then, I eat a lower carb diet and I never eat sugar (which is metabolic poison).

If it's so good for you then why is only around 30% of the world population able to digest it correctly?

Anyone can be allergic (or otherwise intolerant) to a specific food that is quite beneficial to others. Eggs are a fantastic source of very high quality protein (probably the most digestible form of protein there is) but a TON of people are allergic to them.

Don't you think it's a bit odd for that large a number of the population to not be able to digest it, like at all?
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    My best advice is just stop eating it............... its very hard, I LOVE cheese and here's why :)

Your passion for cheese is more deeply rooted in your brain than you may realize.

Just as heroin, cocaine, and other recreational drugs such as nictoine and alcohol affect the pleasure center of the brain, your brain is stimulated by cheese. The pleasant fuzzy feeling you experience makes you go back for more.

Cheese contains primarily two proteins, whey and casein. When the casein is broken down by acids and bacteria in the gut, a variety of casomorpins are created. One of these casomorphins has about one-tenth of the pain-killing power of morphine, which makes it a socially acceptable drug.

Because eating cheese creates a pleasant relaxation time and time again, we consider ourselves "addicted" to cheese. We seek it our over other less-gratifying foods, such as broccoli or black beans. These foods, while far better nutrionally, are not addictive because they do not create euphoria in the mind.

http://www.examiner.com/article/do-you-have-a-cheese-addiction-how-heroin-cocaine-and-cheese-affect-your-brain

:laugh: I'm sorry but this really makes me chuckle. "The Examiner" is another tabloid, right up there with the National Enquirer. They also post stories about alien abductions and new "spottings" of Elvis and Bigfoot!. :laugh:
  • sherrirb
    Options

But it is quite high in protein and it is extremely satisfying. There is also some evidence that it has a positive effect on many health parameters--including being an obesity fighter, believe it or not. I eat cheese almost every day and I never go over in my calories. But then, I eat a lower carb diet and I never eat sugar (which is metabolic poison).

If it's so good for you then why is only around 30% of the world population able to digest it correctly?

And where did you derive this baseless percentage from??
    Anyone can be allergic (or otherwise intolerant) to a specific food that is quite beneficial to others. Eggs are a fantastic source of very high quality protein (probably the most digestible form of protein there is) but a TON of people are allergic to them.

Don't you think it's a bit odd for that large a number of the population to not be able to digest it, like at all?

No.. just like I dont think it is odd that a large number of the general population is allergic to penicillin, or peanuts, or cats. It happens.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft fat free shredded mozzarella cheese for everything. Even grilled cheese. But in moderation. I usually only use half of a serving
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

And where did you derive this baseless percentage from??

No.. just like I dont think it is odd that a large number of the general population is allergic to penicillin, or peanuts, or cats. It happens.

Here

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

I'd like to see some percentages of the human population allergic to cats, peanuts, ect since you thought it was a comparable number, if so that's very interesting.
  • snowshoermom
    snowshoermom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yup cheese is my drug of choice and you will have to pry it out of my dead hands.. i could never just totally wipe it out.

Thanks everyone i will try to fine grate it and TRY really hard to just eat my 30 grams when i crave it......
    wish me luck..i'm going to need it.. lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    It's saturated fat.

I've never seen a 70% saturated fat cheese, nor is cheese normally all saturated fat - cheddar is about 30-35% fat of which about two thirds is saturated and about a third is monounsaturated (like olive oil or avocados!).

Nor have I. Even saturated fat can be healthy for you in moderation, as long as you're not scarfing a million grams of saturated and trans fats down your throat you'll be good.

So eating fat that raises bad LDL cholesterol is beneficial for the body how? Thanks!
    Saturated fat changes the particle size of LDL. It reduces what's called small dense LDL or ApoB to ones more buoyant. Small dense LDL have triglycerides within the lipoprotein and the amount of actual cholesterol is much smaller, hense the wording, small dense LDL, these are the ones that are susceptible to oxidation, cytokines, macrophages and inflammation and this is basically the main contributor to coronary artery disease. So while LDL goes up it's because the lipoproteins actually contain more actual cholesterol, but less triglycerides, and I know it sound a little weird but it's not what the media has led up to believe. If lowering LDL was important then refined carbs and sugar would be the foods you want to eat because these really lower LDL cholesterol, but they also produce a truckload of small dense LDL or ApoB.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Many people who are lactose intolerant CAN eat cheese, especially aged cheeses. Aging reduces the lactose.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Many people who are lactose intolerant CAN eat cheese, especially aged cheeses. Aging reduces the lactose.

Sure you CAN eat it, you can drink gasoline too, but it's not good for you to do so.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Sure you CAN eat it, you can drink gasoline too, but it's not good for you to do so.
    Educate yourself, there's little to no lactose in hard cheeses. You obviously have an anti dairy and sounds like saturated fat agenda, or just find studies and stuff that fit your thinking.
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheese is delicious.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I ate cheese today on my pizza. It was nice, I recommend everyone should try it.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Cheese is good. Eat it. Eat it a lot!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Portion control is definitely key. Sometimes I like to grate it so that it goes "farther". Sometimes I just like to chunk it up so that I get a few delicious bites. Oh, and Sargento has some 'ultra thin' sliced cheeses that are perfectly awesome for sandwiches. There is no problem with eating cheese as long as it fits into your daily macro goals!
  • sherrirb
    Options

Here

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

I'd like to see some percentages of the human population allergic to cats, peanuts, ect since you thought it was a comparable number, if so that's very interesting.

Well first off, these two articles give two different numbers as far as the percentage of people that are supposed to be lactose intolerant, and both differ with your 70% as stated above. But I do appreciate you posting these and I read these articles and several more on the subject.

Secondly, we are discussing cheese, not milk. There is a difference in the amount of lactose in both of these products and it is significantly less in cheese. Many people that have lactose intolerance can eat a variety of cheese because the amount of lactose in cheese is reduced both during production of cheese and in the aging process.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Lactose intolerance is a deficiancy of lactase. Lactase actually is a naturally occuring enzyme in raw milk that helps in the breakdown of lactose, but is destroyed in the pasteurizing process. A deficiency in lactase is most prevalent in adults as both of your articles point out. Lactase production drops off as we reach adulthood. Often this is due to the change in diet and milk is no longer a main source of our nutrition. If we are eating a balanced diet, our need for the nutrients found in milk is less critical because we get them in so many other foods. In infancy and childhood, milk is a major source of nutrition and is very beneficial in development. As adults we no longer need milk, but most of us still love it! :smile: That being said, it isn't a great alarm that so many people are lactose intolerant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=causes

Milk fat contains the best fatty acids necessary for brain development. For this reason I really do not understand why everyone thinks we need to give children skim millk, but that is a completely different discussion.

Lastly, I never stated that people allergic to cats, nuts, and penicillin was comparable to your number of the population that cannot digest milk. I only stated it was a large number. I wont state an actual figure unless I've done my "research". I forgot to include bees, shellfish and gluten as well.
  • onefatwife
    onefatwife Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with cheese also. I want cheese on everything. I am trying to cut back and use goat cheese on salads. Cheese has
    been one of my hardest habits to break while trying to loose weight.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options

Here

Well first off, these two articles give two different numbers as far as the percentage of people that are supposed to be lactose intolerant, and both differ with your 70% as stated above. But I do appreciate you posting these and I read these articles and several more on the subject.

Secondly, we are discussing cheese, not milk. There is a difference in the amount of lactose in both of these products and it is significantly less in cheese. Many people that have lactose intolerance can eat a variety of cheese because the amount of lactose in cheese is reduced both during production of cheese and in the aging process.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Lactose intolerance is a deficiancy of lactase. Lactase actually is a naturally occuring enzyme in raw milk that helps in the breakdown of lactose, but is destroyed in the pasteurizing process. A deficiency in lactase is most prevalent in adults as both of your articles point out. Lactase production drops off as we reach adulthood. Often this is due to the change in diet and milk is no longer a main source of our nutrition. If we are eating a balanced diet, our need for the nutrients found in milk is less critical because we get them in so many other foods. In infancy and childhood, milk is a major source of nutrition and is very beneficial in development. As adults we no longer need milk, but most of us still love it! :smile: That being said, it isn't a great alarm that so many people are lactose intolerant.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530/DSECTION=causes

Milk fat contains the best fatty acids necessary for brain development. For this reason I really do not understand why everyone thinks we need to give children skim millk, but that is a completely different discussion.

Lastly, I never stated that people allergic to cats, nuts, and penicillin was comparable to your number of the population that cannot digest milk. I only stated it was a large number. I wont state an actual figure unless I've done my "research". I forgot to include bees, shellfish and gluten as well.

Well said! I just hope nobody sees all of her ridiculous "facts" and thinks cheese is suddenly the devil.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the #1 thing that prevents me from being vegan.
    When I decided to learn about nutrition & change my eating habits, I put my foot down when it came to cheese.
    However, since I decided that, I also decided I was going to be strict on everything else I consumed. It's totally worth it to me.
    It also helps that my favorite cheese is mozzarella - which is typically the lowest in fat & cals, & they even make it with even more reduced fat & cals.

With us cheese lovers, we have to know what works for us & what our goals are. What will happen if I gave up cheese for a few weeks? I'd probably go on a 3 or 4 day bender eating 1lb of cheese a day. Yeah, I did that. Lesson learned.
    Buy & eat it in moderation. Be aware of what exactly you are ingesting (the amount, the content.) Get the good cheese, not the cheap junk cheese - so when you do want it you will be satisfied with a smaller amount.

Good luck! :)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

MOD.ER.A.TION
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the #1 thing that prevents me from being vegan.
    When I decided to learn about nutrition & change my eating habits, I put my foot down when it came to cheese.
    However, since I decided that, I also decided I was going to be strict on everything else I consumed. It's totally worth it to me.
    It also helps that my favorite cheese is mozzarella - which is typically the lowest in fat & cals, & they even make it with even more reduced fat & cals.

With us cheese lovers, we have to know what works for us & what our goals are. What will happen if I gave up cheese for a few weeks? I'd probably go on a 3 or 4 day bender eating 1lb of cheese a day. Yeah, I did that. Lesson learned.
    Buy & eat it in moderation. Be aware of what exactly you are ingesting (the amount, the content.) Get the good cheese, not the cheap junk cheese - so when you do want it you will be satisfied with a smaller amount.

Good luck! :)

Good advice! Natural cheeses are a great source of nutrition. "Processed cheese food" (because it is full of fillers of one sort or another) not so much. Children will often eat cheese when they are reluctant to eat meat and ounce for ounce, it has about the same amount of protein. The growing and developing central nervous system in children REQUIRE cholesterol to develop properly. It is a terrible idea to put a child on a low-fat diet.