Member of Gym or workout at home/outside?

Options
Just curious to how many people actually are members of gyms or just workout at home to dvd or walk outside. I personally have always did the workout outside/ home but I have been seriously been thinking of joining a gym. I just wonder if I will get better results in gym. Whats your thoughts?

Replies

• KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    Options
    I've always been the gym type from high school to adulthood. I just love the atmosphere and all the free weights. I push myself more at the gym because I want to know I lift heavier than some guys haha. Sounds funny but it makes me happy.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I struggle to do things at home because when I get home I just want to relax.
    The best thing for me is classes and a trainer right after work. I've scheduled it, I go and get it done with and then I can go home and be with my family.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Gym for me. It's too easy to not do anything at home. Plus, I love freeweights and lifting and the machines.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I do both.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Gym is way too crowded and classes are always full :-/
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I run outside and belong to a yoga studio that I attend 5-6 times per week. I've belonged to gyms in the past and much prefer this though more expensive.
  • swanarae
    Options
    3 kids in college means little to no money to spare for gym membership.
    The hubs and I do our walking/jogging outside and our strength training at home
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Both right now but when I have the money and space for a home gym again I'll probably put one together because it was just so much more convenient. I also prefer getting my cardio in outdoors so I basically pay $300 a year for a squat rack and bench. :\
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with DVDs and run outside :)
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was going to the gym every other day, but for the next two weeks I'm trying to find things I can do at home (other than my elliptical trainer although I'll use that too). Things like body weight exercises and outdoor running, etc. I'd love to be able to do this without the headaches and frustrations of a gym membership.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    While I love the gym atmosphere, I can't stick with it for longer than a month or two due to my schedule. I do far better working out from home. I am currently doing Turbo Fire, and after that I will either do Insanity or Combat. I also do body weight/ free weight exercises for some strength a few times a week.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Nearest gym is like 60 miles away... at home it is.. dvds and treadmill at the moment.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I workout at home. However, I have turned my garage into a gym which I find much more convenient
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Indoor workouts. Even my "gym" cardio consists of just going down to the apartment complex's treadmill room. If I had to haul *kitten* and drive and deal with traffic and sound and noise and bright lights to workout, I'd hate it and never go. (It must be noted that I'm am introvert. Lots of people stress me out. Lots of people get more energy from being around other fitness types.)
  • Emma82much
    Options
    My Dad paid to join the gym for two years upfront, and it gives him the motivation to go, and he's lost two stone in a couple of months. I think once at the gym, you have more get up and go, but since I stopped going and put weight on, I know I'l feel really self conscious. So, I go outside to do my exercise and keep it track of my exercise using apps on my phone. It's been working so far, and I feel better in myself, so I think a few more weeks working out on my own and I'll probably join a gym. I go to a Zumba class and find I work out harder when there are other people about, and they give you the encouragement to go on.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    my gym is 18 miles away and it has a shower which benefits me greatly if i have to run off somewhere after i workout. however i decided that having a gym at home benefits me for those days i cant get myself to the gym . im trying to alleviate any excuses i come up with not to work out ..usually i say i dont have time to go to the gym .. then i would say 'if i had a gym at home id work out more'... problem solved now
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I work out at the free gym we have at work! Our building is brand new which means the gym has brand new equipment and is still in awesome shape.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do both.

I work out a lot harder at the gym and have access to equipment (heavy weights and a squat rack) that I don't have at home. I use New Rules of Lifting for my lifting program. I belong to the YMCA, which has free childcare and a pool, so my daughter gets a lot of use from the membership as well. It really gives us something fun to do instead of sitting home on the couch and eating.

I also run with my dogs. I've found that running on the treadmill sucks, and that running outside, now with the addition of a dog, is much more fun.

I do yoga in the mornings with a yoga DVD before work. I work 12-hour shifts, so more isn't really practical for me. The yoga helps with the DOMS from lifting, and stretches my IT bands, which get tight from running.

I have a few other DVDs that I do as a last-ditch effort if I really didn't do anything else (Bob Harper Kettlebells and Power Core). I really don't like doing home DVDs, though. They are more like a threat to get my butt to the gym, or else I'll end up doing a DVD.

The thing that I have found that has helped me to stick to a plan and work out regularly is to switch things up on a regular basis and give myself choices. If I don't feel like lifting weights, I may feel like going to a yoga class. If I don't have time to go to the gym, I can take a quick run instead. Build a menu of things you enjoy, so you always have choices that neutralize your excuses and keep you motivated.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I used to do everything at home but over xmas I got out of the routine of doing anything and struggled to get back into it, so I decided that I needed to change something. Now I have joined the gym and certainly working out more than I was before!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do both. I do most of my cardio outside...running, biking, etc. I use the gym primarily for the weights. I would love to just do that at home as well, but I don't have the space for the kind of setup I'd need...not to mention the money.