Member of Gym or workout at home/outside?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

Except DVDs.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Both. I got the gym membership first, but I didn't want to be restricted by their hours. No excuses.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of Bally's for well over 25 years, but rarely use it anymore. There are none in my area, though I keep it going since.....at $29/year......I'd be silly to let it lapse. Sadly, there's a Gold's LITERALLY across the street, but I can't bring myself to pay their extortion fees.....especially not when my agency has a REALLY NICE fitness center at our building. Sooooo, I pretty much work out there, and save the walks, hikes, outdoor stuff for around my house (in warmer weather)......
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    both
    I always make sure my GYM is about 2-3 miles from where I live. It makes life more easier. I go to the gym to use the equipments and take advantage of that.

When doing cardio, I just put on my shoes and run outside. Well except now because of this NYC chilling weather! :)

not me man. my gym needs to be within a ten minute walk for me to be able to go regularly.

I'm the same way. When I moved to my apartment, I was a member at Gold's. It is about 4 miles away, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I quit Gold's, as My complex has a small fitness room, that I never use, either. (Half the equipment doesn't work.). I have a Planet fitness about half a mile from my apartment. I used that until I could afford a membership to the 24 hour fitness that is less than a quarter mile.

I never understood the purpose of driving to a gym to walk on a machine, unless the weather is bad. Most of my gym time is weights, and I use my walk to the gym as a warm up.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Member of the gym I wouldn't want to workout at home. The gym gives me something to do outside the house and I'm more focused there.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Not ever really motivated to go to the gym, so I do some quick workouts at home that burn 100some calories. It's a good way to help keep me within my calorie budget at times.
  • PrimalSiren
    Options
    I've done both, the gym was only helpful when I had a personal trainer. I prefer working out at home to bodyrock.tv or zcut. I push myself a lot harder when I'm not surrounded by people.
  • bethanykf
    Options
    I only workout at home. Working opposite schedules with my husband and taking care of my 18 month old when I'm not working doesn't facilitate going to a gym. I fit my workouts in during nap time or after he goes to bed and in the summer we'll go on walks. :)
  • Angel0787
    Angel0787 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    As of right now I do both, but I am actually considering dropping my gym membership, because I feel like I get more of a workout at home with the dvd's and some online things I do through Jillian Michaels website. I think I am going to slowly add to the weights that I have at home and save me some money in the long run.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do both also. I do exercises at home, walk and exercise outdoors, go to the gym, dance, and take yoga classes. In the past I would also include a dvd here and there when I was a new mom, but it was never my main form of exercise. I rarely do that now (occasionally I pull out an old 20 minute yoga video if I want some extra stretching and calming type of movement).

I am always at my best fitness when I have a gym membership because they have weights in a wide range of weight and options, so I can do strength training and have lots of room to progress. Going to the gym makes a big difference for me, and always has. I've been going to the gym for 16 years and the only time my fitness has ever started to decline, was when I stopped going to the gym for a couple years (and also was not dancing as much). Before I started going to the gym regularly I was very fit because I was under 18 and I was a pre-professional dancer. In college it was actually the school fitness center and I worked there, exercised there and I was getting my degree in dance. After college I had a gym membership almost continuously, and switched to a new one every time I have moved.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i have a gym quality elliptical in my house that im using daily. i prefer to work out at home cause i can turn on the tv, strip down to a sports bra, and im not looking like an idiot working my butt off. i can put on loud music, turn on a fan. just more comfortable.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a gym.. I am thinking of joining but the gym where I live is sooo expensive
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    both
    I always make sure my GYM is about 2-3 miles from where I live. It makes life more easier. I go to the gym to use the equipments and take advantage of that.

When doing cardio, I just put on my shoes and run outside. Well except now because of this NYC chilling weather! :)

not me man. my gym needs to be within a ten minute walk for me to be able to go regularly.

I'm the same way. When I moved to my apartment, I was a member at Gold's. It is about 4 miles away, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I quit Gold's, as My complex has a small fitness room, that I never use, either. (Half the equipment doesn't work.). I have a Planet fitness about half a mile from my apartment. I used that until I could afford a membership to the 24 hour fitness that is less than a quarter mile.

I never understood the purpose of driving to a gym to walk on a machine, unless the weather is bad. Most of my gym time is weights, and I use my walk to the gym as a warm up.

Me too. I walk to and from the gym, and when the weather is nice I do a few exercises at the outdoor exercise park on the way there and back. There is a fitness room at my apartments that I do not use, I also walk past the community fitness centre and go further uphill to get to a better gym.
  • wham55
    wham55 Posts: 44
    Options
    I want to be a member at a gym but i dont have the money for it atm. But I think the gym is definitly better because there is no way of distracting yourself. When your home you can take breaks,eat, and shorten it. When your at the gym theres nothing to do but workout
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym, I've tried in the past to workout at home, and for the most part it worked, but I in no way worked out as intensely as I do at the gym.

At the gym I like that really EVERY single person in there is a source of motivation to keep going, plus I like to set my rhythm to someone near me who is going at a steady but fast timing so it helps me get it in the zone. There's also so much more variety of what to do. (And it doesn't hurt that membership fee is included in my university tuition so I have no reason NOT to go.. :laugh: )
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I found a nice treadmill on Craigslist for about $100 that works like a charm and I have some free weights and those bands. I do a lot of the body weight exercises for strengthening and hit the treadmill.

I just don't have the time or money to get to the gym. The benefits of working out at home is the ability for me to multitask - get dinner in the oven and run while it's cooking - watch my favorite tv show's while I strength train or run.. Works for me but I know it's not for everyone. It helps having everyone on here keep me in check :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    both. I get bored and like to shake it up. Also, our bodies tend to aclimate to work out routines and we lose the effectiveness.

my gym is less than a mile from my house, so distance isn't a barrier. Watch that. As you see from teh posts, too far = no use.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    My gym is affordable. I just pay 35 dollars a month and no enrollment fee and since I walk everywhere we save money by just having one car.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm currently unemployed so have been unable to consider a gym or classes. That said, I found a stationary bike on Craigslist for $35 and between that and walking (both dog-walking and fitness walking) and dumbbells every other day I'm being pretty consistent in getting SOME kind of exercise each day for no out-of-pocket expense. I've just (tonight) ordered a zumba DVD and will add that to my routine when it arrives.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm currently unemployed so have been unable to consider a gym or classes. That said, I found a stationary bike on Craigslist for $35 and between that and walking (both dog-walking and fitness walking) and dumbbells every other day I'm being pretty consistent in getting SOME kind of exercise each day for no out-of-pocket expense. I've just (tonight) ordered a zumba DVD and will add that to my routine when it arrives.

Excellent!!