I Really Need Help..

Options

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Your mindset is very much like a person with an eating disorder. I hope that you will talk with a therapist about this problem because it's a very important hurdle you MUST get over if you ever hope to maintain a healthy weight. Food is NOT evil and it's NOT the enemy. This applies to carrots and chocolate and french fries. . . you get the idea. Furthermore, you are worthy of all the good things in life, just as much as any other person. You deserve to enjoy food! The trick is learning how to balance the fun with healthy eating to take good care of yourself. When you are on a very restrictive eating plan, including a diet where you aren't eating enough calories, you are handicapping yourself and making it harder for yourself to learn the eating habits that will enable you to live happily and healthily after you reach your goal weight.

I hope that you are able to find healing and end up on a happier, healthier path to your goal.

If I only had to worry about the calories and not contents fully...and not be excessive with the main things, I'd be ok but when they show only so much this and that...it's like, why even try?
  • MissDarlaDoll12
    MissDarlaDoll12 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh for heaven's sake have a cookie!

Until you learn how to eat in moderation, it's basically useless to lose weight. Because as soon as you lose weight through deprivation, you'll go whole hog on the first bag of cookies you see. Learn how to eat a serving of cookies at a time. 4-5 cookies never made anybody fat.

And you don't have to 'earn' cookies. They are just food.

^^This Dont teach yourself deprivation, teach yourself moderation. There are enough calories in a day to eat a cookie or piece of cake. If you go over, dont beat yourself up about it. Enjoy your sweets and include them in your new healthy lifestyle...in moderation.
  • hollymommy
    Options
    I just started my journey on a healthier me and someone please correct me if the image I am about to create for myself is wrong.
    If I want a cookie I'm going to allow myself 1 or 2 and make up for it by adding a few extra minutes to my work out. I feel like just telling myself no and never letting myself have it is going to only make me want it that much more.
    Now I'm not trying to say its dessert every day because then I won't get anywhere but I've got an extra 500 calories to eat today after my exercise log so I'm going to have 2 cookies and then I am going to do five minutes on my elliptical before I go to bed.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You know you can customize all those limits, right? I recommend increasing your daily calorie limit and adjusting your fats, carbs, and protein if you need to, as well. MFP tends to set protein really low for everyone.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    The way I forgo the treats or whatever if I really think I want them, is to close my eyes and taste it from a memory. The truth is, most of what we crave is something we have had before, we know the texture, the flavor. So, really concentrate on it for one minute. When I do that, I am over it. It has taken a long time to get to this point, but at point it was my first time using my memory to overrule my mouth. And I never have a food hangover WIN!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    You know you can customize all those limits, right? I recommend increasing your daily calorie limit and adjusting your fats, carbs, and protein if you need to, as well. MFP tends to set protein really low for everyone.

I was not eating much for a while and am slowly trying to eat more but eat healthily...just not sure how to adjust it all because I wanna follow their guidelines since the site works for others
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the goal here is to make a happier, healthier you that enjoys the role food plays in your life... not let it own your life. Of course you're going to say why bother... you're making yourself miserable trying to get "happy". You need to ask yourself why you're on this journey, what's your goal and then address everything that will get you there. Mindset, diet as a noun not a verb, activity.... and really, who cares what someone else is doing? Isnt't what you want for you more important than what someone else chooses to digest??
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Yeah, the goal here is to make a happier, healthier you that enjoys the role food plays in your life... not let it own your life. Of course you're going to say why bother... you're making yourself miserable trying to get "happy". You need to ask yourself why you're on this journey, what's your goal and then address everything that will get you there. Mindset, diet as a noun not a verb, activity.... and really, who cares what someone else is doing? Isnt't what you want for you more important than what someone else chooses to digest??

Because what I was doing wasn't working and thought maybe I could get help here to do better..
  • laserturkey
    Options
    The site works because people tailor it to suit their own needs and don't stick to the initial settings. Search the forums for "in place of a road map" and you will get excellent guidance. There's a group by that name, too.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Kris3191 here is the link to my blog..add me as a friend if you want but my diary is public now..I have nothing to hide
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    The site works because people tailor it to suit their own needs and don't stick to the initial settings. Search the forums for "in place of a road map" and you will get excellent guidance. There's a group by that name, too.

Thank you for that info also.
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your diary. Please don't starve yourself. If you have time, read this:

nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I've looked at your diary. Please don't starve yourself. If you have time, read this:

nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

I don't feel I am and that website sort of sounds like me...
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you don't allow little treats in your diet then you will probably give up after a period of time. You have to mentally learn to watch your portions and keep your carp/protein/fat ratios in check.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Having others who eat like this must be super difficult! Is there an area in the kitchen where they can keep this food out of sight (and mind) for you? Perhaps out of consideration of you, they could take some measures to assist you. I sometimes get frustrated watching my husband eat twice as much as I can -- and he can lose weight twice as fast as I can. Accepting that is difficult but it's a first step in taking on the task. Good luck on your journey.
  • laserturkey
    Options

Excellent article! Thanks for the link!
  • NBSfit
    Options

But my point is, if the article sounds like you, you are starving yourself. That was me. I've learned from my mistakes. You are allowed to grow and change and be different than you were yesterday. I'm lucky that I have a psychologist as a husband and he did exactly what I needed to pull me out of my obsession. There is nothing wrong or shameful in admitting that you may need help and seeking out a professional.

Good luck.
  • NBSfit
    Options

Excellent article! Thanks for the link!

You are very welcome!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Having others who eat like this must be super difficult! Is there an area in the kitchen where they can keep this food out of sight (and mind) for you? Perhaps out of consideration of you, they could take some measures to assist you. I sometimes get frustrated watching my husband eat twice as much as I can -- and he can lose weight twice as fast as I can. Accepting that is difficult but it's a first step in taking on the task. Good luck on your journey.
    Nope and it's been almost 3 years
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options

But my point is, if the article sounds like you, you are starving yourself. That was me. I've learned from my mistakes. You are allowed to grow and change and be different than you were yesterday. I'm lucky that I have a psychologist as a husband and he did exactly what I needed to pull me out of my obsession. There is nothing wrong or shameful in admitting that you may need help and seeking out a professional.

Good luck.

I need to figure out a balance...and maybe I was doing it wrong today...I was doing well the first part of the week except for sodium and sugar a day each