Success with TDEE -20%

Options

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't your TDEE without exercise factored in just be your BMR?
  • zoraiya
    zoraiya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am doing this now as well -- MFP had me at 1400 a day, which was way below my BMR. While I lost at first, I eventually hit a plateau because I wasn't eating enough. Now, I'm eating 1800-2000 a day (which is -20% of my TDEE), and I'm losing again.

I haven't exercised yet since I switched this, but I will likely not be eating my calories back initially. I'm going to feel it out, and if I need to, I'll adjust.
  • Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been doing TDEE min 15-20% since I started MFP end of March 2012 (OK, I tried the MFP settings for the first week and realised I would have been a lost cause eating so little food). My TDEE is calculated at moderate activity level, so my exercise is already taken into account.

I have lost 35 lbs on MFP and reached my goal weight in October 2012. Now working on body composition.
  • nicpap617
    nicpap617 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good site to calculate TDEE? I have used multiple different sites and they usually give me the same number give or take 50-100 calories or so.

I had been eating anywhere from 1200-1600 cals a day for months. I found that I never lost weight and I was always hungry. I recently started eating 1800 which is approx my TDEE -20% and started running 4 days a week. I lost 2 lbs right away. But now I am up again those 2 lbs. I'm just so confused because I feel better eating more... (more energy, not hungry, and my mood is so much better.) I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong or calculating my TDEE wrong.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on my MFP calories, hadn't lost for weeks. Switched to TDEE - 20% and have lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. As others have stated your TDEE will include the exercise, I re-calculated mine weekly based on my planned activity (some weeks I run miles and other weeks I lift more).
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 odd lbs doing TDEE -20%, no you don't eat back the exercise calories because that is factored in already. The basics are...either eat your BMR (if not a bit more) + all your exercise calories OR eat your TDEE - something % (usually 20%) and don't eat back your exercise calories.
    It really is that simple, don't over think it don't over complicate it...it works.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    After my weight loss stalled after weeks of eating 1200 cals, I also calculated my BMR & TDEE and started eating TDEE - 20% and weight loss restarted again. Thank goodness I didn't wait months.

I am eating back the calories used during exercise BECAUSE they have been calculated in my TDEE in the first place, they are not added on through the day. This a far better way for me to plan the day.
  • angserino
    Options
    I've lost 30 odd lbs doing TDEE -20%, no you don't eat back the exercise calories because that is factored in already. The basics are...either eat your BMR (if not a bit more) + all your exercise calories OR eat your TDEE - something % (usually 20%) and don't eat back your exercise calories.
    It really is that simple, don't over think it don't over complicate it...it works.

I have been so confused this whole time until I read this. So simply stated and it finally clicked!
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BUMP>...
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So, is there a settings on MFP to adjust those calories eaten for this program, or do you just know what to eat, and ignore the under over portion of your diet tracker. Honestly, I rarely eat my exercise calories on MFP and I don't feel hungry yet on the 1200 I am allotted. However I am 49, and I am eating a lot of veggies.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Wouldn't your TDEE without exercise factored in just be your BMR?

No. TDEE = BMR + activity factor. Look up the definitions.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This was posted by a MFP member.
    It really helped me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12:

It has tons of valuable information. I couldn't do it on the 1200 calories a day MFP recommended, and it was too hard to try to remember what calories I should eat back and what I shouldn't. TDEE-20% worked great for me! It's much simpler. I just recalculate it every couple of weeks based upon my current weight and measurements. I usually actually end up eating somewhere about halfway in between MFP's recommendation and TDEE-20%. I don't feel hungry, the weight is coming off, and if I have a "bad" day, it realistically is probably right around my TDEE (so I won't be gaining).

I was so happy when I found the link on here. Some of the members here can be great resources!
  • deveauxc
    deveauxc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE-20%?
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this wholeheartedly last week. But more than just sticking to my calorie goal of 1800, it required a total commitment to changing the way I ate - planning, preparing ahead of time, grocery shopping (I HATE grocery shopping), cooking, packing lunch, etc. I broke a 3-month plateau last week and lost 5 POUNDS! I was stuck at somewhere between 209.5 and 211 from October through last week, but on Friday, the scale said 204.5! I do NOT eat back exercise calories because TDEE-20% includes any activity, so I eat a stagnant 1800 calories. I still log my exercise just because I like to see it. I work hard to take credit for it! But I only log "1" calorie burned for each exercise.

I hope this works for you, and I hope it continues to work for me! I know I feel much better about it. :)
  • GypsyNrs4Evr
    GypsyNrs4Evr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 lbs doing MFP suggested 1290 calories a day, but like everybody else was hungry and grumpy. Then I reached a plateau through the holidays and just got plain frustrated. So I changed to TDEE - 20% and am now eating between 1400-1600 calories a day and I feel so much better. I also increased my activity level with the help of Fitbit & now 30DS, but I don't eat back my exercise calories. I've started losing again and am thrilled!! It's nice to be able to lose without starving!!

:smile:
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    i started this yesterday actually. I figured out my TDEE -20% which equals to 1620 - I eat this whether i exercise or not. I'm hoping it will be easier for me to plan my meals when i eat the same amount of calories every day instead of more on exercise days and less on rest days. I dont log my exercise because it's already counted in my TDEE. We'll see how it works after a month or so!!! I'm excited to see what other's results are as well!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I got to goal by eating this way...for me it was 1700 calories a day with our without a 30 minute workout and walking!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE-20%?

Check out my friend Yoovie's very simple, very common sense explanation of TDEE and using it to calculate your calorie requirements!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!